Stopping the reverse beeping on the transit

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi, everybody just bought a new fancy transit van. One thing don't like is when every it's in reverse it makes a loud beeping noise. Any body out there figure out how to turn it off or where the speaker is for it. Until I figure it out sorry everybody for waking you up in the truck stops

Reactions: Moot

uriykir

Active Expediter
I think there is a speaker usually underneath the tail behind the back bumper. I'd just disconnect the wiring.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi, everybody just bought a new fancy transit van. One thing don't like is when every it's in reverse it makes a loud beeping noise. Any body out there figure out how to turn it off or where the speaker is for it. Until I figure it out sorry everybody for waking you up in the truck stops
My sprinter came with one as well...and I have left it on....for the safety factor....Union places love it...when I get going in reverse I just slip into N and coast in....but then again no need to do that at Walmarts....LOL
HINT: its a truck stop...1 more noise is no big deal...people should expect it...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My sprinter came with one as well...and I have left it on....for the safety factor....Union places love it...when I get going in reverse I just slip into N and coast in....but then again no need to do that at Walmarts....LOL
HINT: its a truck stop...1 more noise is no big deal...people should expect it...

Safety factor ...? Heck i don't want to get run over by an Underinsured South Dakotain anyway ......:p
Beep....Beep

Reactions: brokcanadian

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Had one on my st8 truck took a wire cutter to it , found out it was connected to the back up light circuit so had to do a small rewire

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Safety factor ...? Heck i don't want to get run over by an Underinsured South Dakotain anyway ......:p
Beep....Beep
can you hear a back up camera that some install? LOL

Hey no rumour mill...I am insured...just not with Bambi or Bullwinkle....:p

IMO...BIG mistake disconnecting the beeper....just saying

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since you should have the vehicle a long time I'd suggest a deadman switch on the dash.
In unusual circumstances, like backing in a residential neighborhood at 3 am, you'll bypass the noise.
During the balance of the week you'll benefit from the safety it was installed to give you.
Yesterday I almost got nailed by a moron that decided to back out of a fuel island line as I walked by.

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since you should have the vehicle a long time I'd suggest a deadman switch on the dash.
In unusual circumstances, like backing in a residential neighborhood at 3 am, you'll bypass the noise.
During the balance of the week you'll benefit from the safety it was installed to give you.
Yesterday I almost got nailed by a moron that decided to back out of a fuel island line as I walked by.
there is a trick I learned about the sprinter...put in reverse once....take it out of R and put it back in..so in, out and back in.....some people might know this...:p..beeper does not engage...its weird...don't know if its designed that way or just a fluke...

Reactions: brokcanadian

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
there is a trick I learned about the sprinter...put in reverse once....take it out of R and put it back in..so in, out and back in.....some people might know this...:p..beeper does not engage...its weird...don't know if its designed that way or just a fluke...
With my 2014 the tone get lower when i do that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are they standard equipment on a transit or dealer installed?
Don't worry Scott my Transit doesn't have one so it must be an option. Could be standard on the T-350 HD (DRW)

My van passed its Annual DOT Inspection with flying colors. Good for another year.

Reactions: Treadmill

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with BigStick but it doesn't have to be a spring loaded, always on switch. A simple SPST switch will do. Either leave it in the on position and only turn it off when circumstances warrant or vice versa.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine was "on a spring" so it took a concentrated effort to bypass.
Otherwise some will just turn it off, losing the benefit of another safety device.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My cousin didn't have a city horn.
On a DOT check he yelled "Honk Honk" out the window.
The cop let him slide. Once he stopped laughing.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
....... he yelled "Honk Honk" out the window.
6a00d83451584369e20120a5e49c6d970b-800wi

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you disconnect/disable it and later have an accident some attorney will sue you just for the heck of it. I wouldn't disconnect it and if I bought a new van without it I'd get the guys at Mustang Automotive install one.