Bernie Sanders Musing In A Tweet.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dec 24
Bernie Sanders ‏@SenSanders
Our nation has always been a refuge for the oppressed. We need to take steps to protect children and families, not cast them out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dec 24
Bernie Sanders ‏@SenSanders
Our nation has always been a refuge for the oppressed. We need to take steps to protect children and families, not cast them out.
I'm pretty sure we don't cast out refugees. I suppose it's possible, like anything else, but I've never heard of any being cast out, anyway. Every refugee is in this country legally. We do, however, cast out illegal aliens.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The real problem with student debt is that people spend 4 years racking it up getting a degree they are told is going to guarantee them a good paying job, only to find out its not worth the paper it's written on.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sanders obviously doesn't understand how unsecured loans work.

I'm positive he understands how unsecured loans work. The point he's making is about our priorities: home ownership is a worthy investment, but education ought to be even more so.

He does knows how to spend other people's money.

Isn't that a legislator's job, in a nutshell?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm positive he understands how unsecured loans work. The point he's making is about our priorities: home ownership is a worthy investment, but education ought to be even more so.
A college education ought to be a worthy investment, but in many cases it's not. College tuition is overpriced, and that investment is made even worse when financed with a high-interest loan. But the point he's making is definitely not about educational priorities - it's about promoting his Free College Plan. Surely no one has forgotten that already :wacky:

Bernie's Bad College Idea

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But the point he's making is definitely not about educational priorities - it's about promoting his Free College Plan.
Exactly. Considering one of his biggies is free education, the point he was making was hardly that education is a worthy investment. In order for his point to be about investment, there needs to be a positive return, and there is no evidence whatsoever, none mind you, that investment in universal higher education produces a positive net return. The countries at which he points at to tout free higher education has all of their evidence pointing to a negative return. People are more educated, on paper, but as a collective they actually learn less. The curriculum get diluted. And we see that here in America where easily obtainable student loans have more people in college than every before, but most of them don't belong there. They can't handle the academics, so they concentrate on things like microaggression and gender fluidity. Meanwhile, it's the Chinese who are making the greatest strides in science, manufacturing and agriculture.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
By the time Obama leaves office, we will be 20 trillion in debt. Not even remotely close to having the cash for something like that. Will work out about as well as free healthcare. And we are seeing how well that is going.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Exactly. Considering one of his biggies is free education, the point he was making was hardly that education is a worthy investment. In order for his point to be about investment, there needs to be a positive return, and there is no evidence whatsoever, none mind you, that investment in universal higher education produces a positive net return. The countries at which he points at to tout free higher education has all of their evidence pointing to a negative return. People are more educated, on paper, but as a collective they actually learn less. The curriculum get diluted. And we see that here in America where easily obtainable student loans have more people in college than every before, but most of them don't belong there. They can't handle the academics, so they concentrate on things like microaggression and gender fluidity. Meanwhile, it's the Chinese who are making the greatest strides in science, manufacturing and agriculture.

Free education doesn't have to mean college, it could [and absolutely should] include vocational education as well. As a culture, we seem to insist that everyone needs to go to college, and that's just nuts. We need people who know how to fix things, dammit! [Maybe then the repair places would be open on Saturdays]

Reactions: tseders93

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Free education doesn't have to mean college, it could [and absolutely should] include vocational education as well. As a culture, we seem to insist that everyone needs to go to college, and that's just nuts. We need people who know how to fix things, dammit! [Maybe then the repair places would be open on Saturdays]
I agree with everything except the first word. However, vocational classes used to be taught in high school and should probably be reinstated - even emphasized for certain students - in today's curricula. For willing high school grads I'll bet there are plenty of employers in the service industries that would be willing to work out co-op arrangements to help pay for college level vocational training in return for a commitment to a pre-determined period of employment. In any case, the taxpayers shouldn't be stuck with the tab for "free college". A college education is neither a right nor an entitlement.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
By the time Obama leaves office, we will be 20 trillion in debt. Not even remotely close to having the cash for something like that. Will work out about as well as free healthcare. And we are seeing how well that is going.
If we get Bernie, then $20 trillion will become the Good Ol' Days.
You should watch this, absolutely. Cheri should not, absolutely.
:squaredfree::!!:

Reactions: davekc

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
CXaLdhXWQAAPRuM.jpg:large

The Top 1% now pay almost one half of all income taxes collected, and Sanders expects them to pay for everybody's college education as well. One other observation: 40% of all taxpayers account for 97.3% of all taxes collected.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You know it's funny I hear more middle and lower class people complain about the amount of taxes the rich pay than the rich complain about it themselves, wonder why that is??????

Oh that's right, even after taxes the super rich make more in one day, and in some cases more in one hour than a good percentage of Americans make in a year.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know it's funny I hear more middle and lower class people complain about the amount of taxes the rich pay than the rich complain about it themselves, wonder why that is??????
I have noticed hat very same thing. For me, most of the people I know are middle and lower class types. The few rich people I know, none of them are super rich, all complain about taxes. So I guess statistically anyway, I would hear more bitching about taxes from the middle and lower middle class than I would hear from the rich, statistically speaking. I mean it's like a numbers thing, ya know? It's like, uh, um statistically there are like, um, actually more middle class people than, um, uh, literally, ah rich people. So like basically, ah, literally, middle class people bítch more because, like, it is, like what it is. Fore sure!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have noticed hat very same thing. For me, most of the people I know are middle and lower class types. The few rich people I know, none of them are super rich, all complain about taxes. So I guess statistically anyway, I would hear more bitching about taxes from the middle and lower middle class than I would hear from the rich, statistically speaking. I mean it's like a numbers thing, ya know? It's like, uh, um statistically there are like, um, actually more middle class people than, um, uh, literally, ah rich people. So like basically, ah, literally, middle class people bítch more because, like, it is, like what it is. Fore sure!
lurch-head-shake-o.gif