My 2015 Ford Transit Experience

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Might want to run a rail down the side. That battery box looks like a skid grabber!!

Etrac attached to a 2 x 10 anchored to 2 x 6 anchored to floor.....straps or load bar brackets with 2 x 6 .....freight goes nowhere....just an idea...and leaves room for storage in behind...

Attachments

• 1422927957823.jpg
    1422927957823.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 91

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Etrac attached to a 2 x 10 anchored to 2 x 6 anchored to floor.....straps or load bar brackets with 2 x 6 .....freight goes nowhere....just an idea...and leaves room for storage in behind...

Yes!! That pic was in my brain. But many times my brain and mouth don't communicate well. LOL!!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Color:
Charcoal olefin upholstery with black naugahyde underside.

Perfect for high traffic areas.

Specific Dimensions:
sitting position
78-5/8” length
29-1/2” width from wall to unit edge
13” height from floor to unit bottom

sleeping position
43-1/2” width from wall to unit edge

stowed position
7-1/2” width from wall to outside of the unit
11-3/4” height from floor to unit bottom
51-1/2” height from floor to top of unit
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1422940440.076618.jpg
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1422940455.505949.jpg
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1422940466.984011.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I test drove a Ford Transit this week. I noticed that it only had two gauges other than a speedometer and tachometer. There was a gas gauge and a coolant temperature gauge. No oil pressure or voltage gauge. There is an option for what is called a "message center". Does this option display other gauges or just warn you when your fly is open?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Moot, gone are the days when we had 4 extra gauges besides the spedometer and tachometer. I would like to know especially what my oil pressure is doing over time, but it is just not available on any of the newer vehicles.
I doubt that oil presure is available in the message center.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I consider fuel, water temp, voltage and oil pressure gauges to be essential for any vehicle. My oil pressure gauge likely saved damage to my van's engine when an oil pump seal failed and oil pressured dropped. I noticed the pressure drop on the gauge and shut the engine down before an idiot came on.

I have a ScanGauge but it doesn't show oil pressure. If I had to do without one of these four basic gauges in my van it would be the fuel gauge. I've driven enough trucks that had inaccurate or non-functioning fuel gauges. I can live without a fuel guage.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess you could add aftermarket gauges. What model did you drive and give us your impressions.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drove a long wheelbase, mid roof, T-250 with the 3.7 L. I don't know what the axle ratio was. The only expressway driving I did was about 4 miles from one interchange and another 4 miles back. On the return trip I had a head wind and at 65mph the transmission down shifted so I'm guessing it had 3.31 rears.

This van was extremely quiet even though it was totally open to the cargo area. The walls of the cargo area were covered with plastic panels which may have reduced the noise levels somewhat. The steering was very tight and responsive and the van maneuvered well through the crowed dealer lot.

Both seats had inboard armrests and like my Chevy, the driver's door had a molded armrest as part of the door panel. The armrests on the seats made for tight access to the cargo area. Ford advertises the cargo length at the floor of this van to be 143.7 inches. That's probably true if the seats are all the way forward and not more than a 90° angle of tilt. Practical cargo length is more like 134" which makes it comparable to a long wheelbase GM or extended Econoline.

I would like to test drive a high roof, extended length T-350 with the EcoBlaster. This dealer had one on the lot but it was a dually and I didn't have time to drive it. Of course the salesperson wanted me to make an offer on the van I test drove. I explained that to meet my specs would probably require placing a build order. He informed me that delivery time would be at least 4 months because the Transit is built overseas. He seemed confused to learn that the Transit is made in Claycomo, MO, a suburb of Kansas City and not overseas or even Mexico. I didn't want to confuse him further by giving him my version of how Claycomo got its name.

All and all I like the Transit but still question Ford's short wheelbase on the extended length model. Like its predecessor the extended Econoline, it appears Ford just stuck on an extra 2 feet to the rear. Also I'm not sold on the durability or fuel economy of the EcoBlaster, but its either that, a diesel or 4.10 rears.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The long and tall transits with the 3.7 engine are only available with 4.11 rear end. You can get the 3.73 with the ambulance package. 3.31 is not available with the normally aspirated 3.7 liter engine.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ordered my Transit at the beginning of January. I'm getting the T350 long wheelbase extended with 3.5 ecoboost.

The next 3 months are gonna drag. I can't wait till it arrives.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking for some real life mpg figures for the T-350 extended length, ecoblaster. Is anyone willing to provide this information publicly or privately in a P.M.?

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I'm looking for some real life mpg figures for the T-350 extended length, ecoblaster. Is anyone willing to provide this information publicly or privately in a P.M.?

I'm averaging about 16.54 mpg so far. I'm in the extended length, high roof 350 T. ECOBoost 3.5L. 3.31 ratio. Let me know of any other questions.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Cruise is always set between 62-65. I've seen the dash display mpg go as low as 13.5 and as high as 20 mpg. Just depends on load and conditions I guess.