sprinter van

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What kinda differential fluid are you using? I use 85w90 weight.

I have the rear end done at the same time as tranny service....it just makes sense whilst it is up on hoist...rear end fluid is a little cheaper then a new/rebuilt one....a practice that has obviously served me well...

and as Turtle said..ALWAYS the list!

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I took the van to ATC freightliner in Dallas they checked everything and did all my fluid changes. Therefore, if they say nothing needs to be changed I take them at their word. Looks like I was wrong about their level of service for the last 3 years.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I took the van to ATC freightliner in Dallas they checked everything and did all my fluid changes. Therefore, if they say nothing needs to be changed I take them at their word. Looks like I was wrong about their level of service for the last 3 years.
did you just wear it out? Or was it the service?.....

Funny thing with my old Dodge Ram van....always checked the rear end by sticking finger in that little fill hole...WRONG thing to do.......you know oil floats right?....it was always full yep after 600,000 miles it was 3/4 full of WATER!! oil on top right?.....LOL well doh on me....for the little cost just change the darn stuff......

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will never know, but three things have given me problems since the start of June. Harmonic balancer went bad, replaced transmission now this. Not much left to change out once this is fixed.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will never know, but three things have given me problems since the start of June. Harmonic balancer went bad, replaced transmission now this. Not much left to change out once this is fixed.

Driveshaft next...

Mine just started making noise, rear u joint is bad. Sitting near Memphis, off to the dealer in the am to see how quickly they can get one. :(

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The other problem I have with with another freightliner dealer(Fyda Pittsburg) was they just did the blancer, but didn't even mention the noise in the rearend even after doing a road test after the work on the engine was done.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use whatever is on The List, namely anything that has MB Spec 235.0 or 235.6 on the label. Usually it's Fuchs Titan Supergear MC 89W90.

turtleatguillotine_zps51994366.gif
...........................................:p

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Make sure you inspect your injectors, alternator, and serp belt tensioner and belt. Very common issues. Some have bad harmonic balancers and some didn't. I just had mine replaced recently. You can lose a engine if you continue to drive on a bad harmonic balancer.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
what is the highest mileage anyone has ever recorded on a Sprinter Van?

680,000 on a 2005 dodge model 2500
Other than new tranny under warranty when new.

Same engine and injectors and does 22-24 mpg everyday

Barely 10 k spent on repairs in 10 years
( Broken down financially that is 80.00/ month...... Pretty **** good if you ask me!!!!) And that includes oil and tranny fluid change

Can't say the same about our 2 - 2008 sprinters (repair garage queens) p.o.s. 's

Will hit 700 k bout the end of November

Joe

Sent from my QMV7A using EO Forums mobile app

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got the news last night, 2200 for the repairs this includes all bearings... Should have it back by Friday.. Then I need to work hard to make up for my last three months. Next on the list will be brakes which my brother will change for me for free...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got the news last night, 2200 for the repairs this includes all bearings... Should have it back by Friday.. Then I need to work hard to make up for my last three months. Next on the list will be brakes which my brother will change for me for free...

rockauto.Com sometimes has good brake prices

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As a side note, most of the time if I'm in the shop overnight for a day or two, especially if I'm just stuck there waiting on parts, I won't get a motel room, I'll just sleep in the van, right there.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a side note, most of the time if I'm in the shop overnight for a day or two, especially if I'm just stuck there waiting on parts, I won't get a motel room, I'll just sleep in the van, right there.

That's me, tonight, in Atlanta, waiting on a crank pulley and unobtanium bolt. I can't complain, though, it lasted a whopping 4 months and 40k miles....

Last week it was a driveshaft in Memphis, that I changed in a Freightliner dealer lot.

$printer, indeed...