DOT Physicals

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thankfully norvasc is a cheap drug, Publix pharmacy does not charge for it, (generic version) along with a list of antibiotics.

Sent from my SM-T217T using EO Forums mobile app
When I first started Norvasc about 4 years ago it was not generic...about 70 bucks a month...I bought it from a Canadian source...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it something as simple as the water pill causes you to wake up a couple extra times to relieve yourself? That can make a huge difference on fatigue. You can have a simple blood test done to check electrolyte levels as water pills can drag that down also. Could be as simple as a replacement drink.

Those are dangerous levels don't stop taken your pills it's no safer than being behind the wheel tired.

Do you take a good multi vitimin? I know it sounds nuts but I swear if I don't take mine in the morning I feel more wore out. It's probably just one ingredient in the pill but don't want to buy a ton of separate pills to figure it out.

I take lisinopril pretty basic generic but works good for me. Water pills make a huge difference for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

I went to taking the water pill about midway between sleeps....our schedule is so erratic I didn't want to be taking it right before sleeping...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Xiggi, your numbers are high enough to be concerned with. You really need to find a doctor you can stick with. Treating an issue like this while jumping around from doctor to doctor will just be an exercise in frustration.

Also, high blood pressure is called the silent killer. People can have very high pressure and still feel just fine, until it triggers a stroke or heart attack.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now im on Norvasc, but I have tried different water pills, beta blockers and combinations of more than one at a time. The lower the meds would make my BP, the worse I felt. When I don't take any meds, my BP would average 180 to 190 over 100 to 110, but I felt great, had plenty of energy, but the closer my BP would get to "normal" it was like something was draining my energy away.

your numbers are where mine used to be.....I even had blood in my urine at times....2 stents and 90 plus pounds later and quit smoking....I can hit the 130's over the 70's easily...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I take a water pill to help flush kidneys due to stone problem.I take one other pill for same condition.
One of the two pills deplete my potassium.
One year I took a TT trip to Boston and woke up where I could barely walk and keep my balance, and I had great difficulty reading the highway signs.
I stupidly drove back to Chicago.
After many hours with a determined/frustrated optometrist, he sent me for blood work.
Electrolytes were low.
A simple potassium pill was all it took to get me back on track.
10 years later I'm on the same three pils and doing great.

Edit: I just changed Calcium to Potassium.
See how easy it is to get crap medical advice on the internet.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I take a water pill to help flush kidneys due to stone problem.I take one other pill for same condition.
One of the two pills deplete my calcium.
One year I took a TT trip to Boston and woke up where I could barely walk and keep my balance, and I had great difficulty reading the highway signs.
I stupidly drove back to Chicago.
After many hours with a determined/frustrated optometrist, he sent me for blood work.
Electrolytes were low.
A simple calcium pill was all it took to get me back on track.
10 years later I'm on the same three pils and doing great.

I was on one pill that eats up potassium... made an adjustment...eat more bananas!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Oops, it was potassium. The banana a day wasn't keeping up.
I do have a separate calcium issue

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Out here called CPA's....almost a Dr....he is like Cheri described...really up on his drugs and the interactions....I am on Norvasc as well....Just went off the Atenonol that slows the heart....my pulse was down to the low 40's now back into the mid 50's...since I've lost over 90 Lbs....and then went off the water pill as it does little good anymore...

I think you mean Certified Physician's Assistant, which is not the same as a Nurse Practitioner, unless they can also prescribe meds.
But it's trying not to prescribe meds that make NPs the best, IMO.
I don't have hypertension, but I'm curious: when you do, do the docs just automatically write a script for pills to lower it? Do they mention any other things you should do? If so, do they follow up?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think you mean Certified Physician's Assistant, which is not the same as a Nurse Practitioner, unless they can also prescribe meds.
But it's trying not to prescribe meds that make NPs the best, IMO.
I don't have hypertension, but I'm curious: when you do, do the docs just automatically write a script for pills to lower it? Do they mention any other things you should do? If so, do they follow up?

Yes a CPA can write scripts....

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4 years ago when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure it was 275 over 180.. everyone was wondering how I was not stroking out.... No symptoms at all.. I have been taking two 20 mg. Lisinopril that have 12.5 mg of Hydroclorothyozide. Two pills once a day and for the last 4 years My BP has been 128/69 consistently. I eat a little better and have lost a little weight but those meds do well for me and 90 days is $20 at walmart.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
My Dr said I had Hypertension, the early form of High BP, is started taking Garlic, 1200MG and Fish Oil and it has lowered my BP back down to very normal, talking to a Nurse at the Hospital she says Garlic is very good for your Blood and Heart, so without drugs so to speak I have saved myself from the Issue, I have been riding my bike about an hour a day also.....I got this email from the FMCSA...about Sleep Cramming which is the practice of Clinics forcing people into sleep studys.....

Hello,
There is no law that requires a sleep study. A medical examiner can choose to ask for one if he/she thinks it is needed, but this needs to be ordered by your regular doctor. Otherwise, it will not be covered by insurance. FMCSA has no guidance or regulation that requires or suggests a sleep study for a driver
Regards,

Pamela Perry, RN
Nurse Consultant
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington DC 20590
(202) 366-4001

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just to clarify: hypertension is not "the early form" of high blood pressure, it is high blood pressure. Hyper=high, tension= pressure. Medical abbreviation: HTN.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Dr said I had Hypertension, the early form of High BP, is started taking Garlic, 1200MG and Fish Oil and it has lowered my BP back down to very normal, talking to a Nurse at the Hospital she says Garlic is very good for your Blood and Heart, so without drugs so to speak I have saved myself from the Issue, I have been riding my bike about an hour a day also.....I got this email from the FMCSA...about Sleep Cramming which is the practice of Clinics forcing people into sleep studys.....

Hello,
There is no law that requires a sleep study. A medical examiner can choose to ask for one if he/she thinks it is needed, but this needs to be ordered by your regular doctor. Otherwise, it will not be covered by insurance. FMCSA has no guidance or regulation that requires or suggests a sleep study for a driver
Regards,

Pamela Perry, RN
Nurse Consultant
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington DC 20590
(202) 366-4001

.....and IF you meet the criteria it SUGGESTS a sleep study be done...All thru this 224 page guidance handbook it SUGGESTS things for your care worker to do.....and this is the same handbook that heavily informs healthcare workers that they will be held highly liable at the same time IF anything should happen to patient. So if meet the criteria...guess what is going to happen....???

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They're are no official FMCSA Guidelines regarding sleep apnea testing. Congress passed a law last year to make sure of that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They're are no official FMCSA Guidelines regarding sleep apnea testing. Congress passed a law last year to make sure of that.

Maybe not but I read in the guideline book if you meet such certain criteria it is recommended that your dr send you for a sleep study

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yeah, like that makes any difference. Obama ignores the laws that the congress passes, or does not pass, and does as he pleases. The regulatory agencies are under the control of the executive branch and congress does little, or no, oversight on them.

The system is broken and it, and those who are in control of it, cannot be trusted to do what is right. IF there is money to be made, it will be. The corruption is rampant.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
There is a GREY AREA...the way its written I see no sleep survey unless ordered by my Regular Dr not some roadside DOT clinic that is staffed by Nurse Practitioners.....I was forced to turn over a clinic to the IL Attorney General who sided with me that it was Cramming...a process designed to increase Profit, not safety...