Welcome to June, 2014

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got freight but I ain't moving. I'm sitting at a service plaza on the Indiana Tollway, my van won't start. Battery is good, I turn the key and the gauges light up, but not even a click from the starter. I had a nice run from Elyria, OH to Medford, WI. Looks like I will chock up my second service failure of my expedite career.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got freight but I ain't moving. I'm sitting at a service plaza on the Indiana Tollway, my van won't start. Battery is good, I turn the key and the gauges light up, but not even a click from the starter. I had a nice run from Elyria, OH to Medford, WI. Looks like I will chock up my second service failure of my expedite career.

That sucks. Hope you get it up and running soon.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That happened to me about 2 months ago. Was the starter. Had NAPA deliver one to me and changed it in the parking lot. Tried jumping it, still had nothing. Tried tapping on the starter, still nothing. These new small, lightweight gear reduction starters just quit when their ready. Mine did give me some advance notice, it started cranking slower for about 2 weeks before it finally quit working completely. Good luck Moot. Hope you get rolling again.

Did you check the fuse for the starter? Or try swapping the relay with another that is the same?

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Have you tried hitting the starter with a hammer? That has worked on more than one occasion for people with starter issues, I just wouldn't shut it off until after delivery if it works.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Same thing happened to me last year. Similar symptoms as yours, had a new starter replaced in the parking lot. Trouble free since.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rescued some freight in southern Ohio all night'r waiting for the delivery to open @7am just outside Allentown Pa!

Sent from my flying circus ....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Is it just me or is freight not moving at all? No matter where I've been I sit

Isn't this how last year went? The 1st half was slower then the 3rd quarter took off. We might be just about to hit the busiest time this year once we get pay the factory shutdowns in July.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
juneteenth_zpsfc0c1af6.jpg

Have a great day gang.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Isn't this how last year went? The 1st half was slower then the 3rd quarter took off. We might be just about to hit the busiest time this year once we get pay the factory shutdowns in July.

Almost a carbon copy of last year.....no real busy periods anymore....just quick highs and even quicker lows....Anyone waiting for the past to reappear is living a dream.....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was/is the starter. 757,000 miles on the original. Panther sent out a service truck from the T/A in Sawyer. 3½ hours later I was rolling. All the guy could do was short out the starter with the blade of his knife. In the dark it looked like he was arc welding under my van. It started and away I went. My 05:00 delivery time was missed by 30 minutes. I was a 160 miles from home after delivering so that's where I'm headed. I keep reminding myself, DON'T TURN THE IGNITION OFF!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Next load, north canton to Vandalia Ohio which is also Murrayville.

The Fastest Horse in a one Horse Town.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Wild night lastnite in sd with tornadoes and such dh to chicago see if can pick up a load for tomorrow

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Picked up a load very late last night near Dallas. Unfortunately it was taken off another truck that had broken down. I like the work, I very much dislike getting it at other's expense, but that is this business.

Delivered in St. Louis, now at the TA in Troy, IL.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
STL to Watertown NY. Now to sleep a while before I DH home to do some front end work.