Progressive Insurance goes up again !!!!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's based on credit score, what you have your vehicle valued at, area you live (zip code), driving record and previous ins. history and a few other things. Personally we don't mind paying a little extra to stay at CIS with John & Shelley cause the service they will provide you when you need it is next to none other. Also, ins. rates are going to rise year to year, that's why revaluation of your truck at renewal is important.

Although a re-evaluation is good, I believe the vehicle value is such a small part of the premium that I wouldn't get too excited at that prospect.

It's the liability that is sooo expensive.

Able to haul hazmat ? I wonder if dropping that would offset the potential earnings.

Listened to a call in show last week about Hazmat incidents.
A guy spilled 5 Gallons of motor oil at a dealership.
The dealer insisted a Hazmat Team be called to insure a proper clean up.

$6500 to clean up FIVE GALLONS of motor oil.

There were some very scary stories .

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Guess I wasn't thinking with the vans and Opel is doing the multi thing and paying cargo ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I forgot he had 2 vans. (?)
Isn't $300 per van pretty normal for the multi carrier deal ?

Is the second van worth it after paying the driver ?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guess I wasn't thinking with the vans and Opel is doing the multi thing and paying cargo ?

As I mentioned in older threads, I'm signed with Ceva. I pay right now 700/mo for both vans, and that includes occupational and life insurance. But with Ceva we don't get miles. That's why I started shopping for a new policy, to change the carrier. Before going to ceva I had the policy with CIS and it was 600 for each vehicle. And I did the switch just because of the high price of the insurance.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

zorry

Veteran Expediter
As I mentioned in older threads, I'm signed with Ceva. I pay right now 700/mo for both vans, and that includes occupational and life insurance. But with Ceva we don't get miles. That's why I started shopping for a new policy, to change the carrier. Before going to ceva I had the policy with CIS and it was 600 for each vehicle. And I did the switch just because of the high price of the insurance.

Dammnnnnn !

Edit: the above was not an attempt to bypass the censor software.

It was an attempt to meet the 10 character minimum. LOL

Last edited:

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
I don't see what you guys are whining about. The going rate for 1 million liability and 100k cargo insurance is 7,500 dollars per year. It doesn't matter if it is a car, truck, cargo van, straight stuck, or tractor trailer. The risk exposure is still the same. When Progressive got into the market they didn't know how to charge properly for liability and cargo insurance. As claims rise, so will the rates in order to compensate for the loss in revenue. You don't have to get into an accident to have your rates raised. All that has to happen is everyone else in that segment of coverage gets into an accident, and everyone's rates will increase accordingly. Progressive is in the business to make money; not lose money. If you can't afford to pay 7,500 dollars a year to run your business, then maybe you're in the wrong business. Charge your carrier or customer a higher rate to compensate for the rise in the cost of insurance. Stop running cheap loads!

Last edited:

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Also, Progressive does not provide primary liability to long haul trucking operations. For those of you with primary liability and cargo insurance, there is a 500 mile radius limitation on you guys. Only bobtail insurance is covered for long haul drivers. So all of the companies who run the multi-carrier model under Progressive, you're severely underinsured, and you can lose everything in the event of a major accident.

Read this: Progressive has a radius of operation restriction of 500 miles for primary liability. If you operate as a long haul carrier, Progressive may not be able to provide your primary liability coverage.

Here is the link to Progressives commercial insurance page: Independent Owner Operator Insurance for Trucking - Progressive

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Roadhouse, you're so full of good news.

You need basically a dime a mile for insurance.
At least it's a nice round number.

As more get raised, more should bid higher. It's the ONLY way it can work .

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't see what you guys are whining about. The going rate for 1 million liability and 100k cargo insurance is 7,500 dollars per year. It doesn't matter if it is a car, truck, cargo van, straight stuck, or tractor trailer.

Is that so? Let me tell you it ain't. Just got some quotes today, two from Progressive - one directly from them, the other one from an independent agent. Progressive asked me for $16,000 a year - all the money down. The agent came up with half of that, but again, all the money down. Meanwhile CIS was polite and offered payment plan for the amount of... be strong: $22,000!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Opel, it gets worse every time you post.

I predict a change in your business model.

And again, Dammmnnn !

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that so? Let me tell you it ain't. Just got some quotes today, two from Progressive - one directly from them, the other one from an independent agent. Progressive asked me for $16,000 a year - all the money down. The agent came up with half of that, but again, all the money down. Meanwhile CIS was polite and offered payment plan for the amount of... be strong: $22,000!

Must be due to all of those crazy Texas drivers. :D

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
I was recently quoted 13k from Progressive. That was with the 500 mile radius restriction. I finally got a quote for 7,500. It took my insurance agent a week to get me that quote. It seems that a lot of insurance companies are skittish about start-up companies.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I remember when my Father's insurance went up to haul gas and diesel to stations around Chicago.
700-800 % increase was the norm.
Gas haulers are a small, close knit community. They all pretty much raised the rates the same.
Those that didn't renew yet had a few months of extra profits.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was recently quoted 13k from Progressive. That was with the 500 mile radius restriction. I finally got a quote for 7,500. It took my insurance agent a week to get me that quote. It seems that a lot of insurance companies are skittish about start-up companies.

I didn't even know The General wrote commercial policies.

Love his TV Commercials.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does an agent sell for half ?

I asked the same question that progressive worker. He threw me some blah-blah-blah, then he was angry cause I didn't tell him at the beginning of the conversation about that quote...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ceva is looking better.

Any updates on $printers logging ? Will that increase your miles ?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ceva is looking better.

Any updates on $printers logging ? Will that increase your miles ?

There's no log book, it's some sort of register where you write down the trips, more like to keep records of the runs you had... but I had so many that I still remember each one of 'em...