Phil Robertson - Duck Dynasty

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Social security and medicare are in financial trouble. I am sure we will just borrow another trillion to bail it out. My guess is that it is in more financial trouble than they even report.
The short term problem will be all these people going on medicaid. Since that is a state run program, subsidized by the Fed for two years, most don't realize they are responsible to pay that money back. The dirt poor don't have anything to worry about, but poor folks with assets could certainly be vunerable.
Look for this problem to come up when in three years, the Fed will no longer support medicaid as they will pass the cost to states. One of the big reasons many states opted out of that Obamacare program. They have a whopper of a bill in three years and currently no way to pay it.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
This is a perfect example of trying to compare apples and pinecones. Natalie Maines made a fool of herself with an unsolicited political statement during a time of war at a concert on foreign soil - one which offended the very core of her group's fan base; stupid is as stupid does. Consequently, she and her group were thrown in the ash heap because she spouted off her uninformed political opinions in what she thought was a liberal theater instead of sticking to her one and only talent - singing country music to a conservative fan base. She was obviously too stupid to realize most of their records were being sold in the USA. On the other hand, Robertson responded to a question from his interviewer about his views on sin - a philosophical subject. His answer was consistent with his core beliefs and those of his fan base. The people up in arms are those who have likely never seen his show or bought his duck calls to begin with. There is no hypocrisy involved here - it's just the opposite. The Dixie Chicks were rejected by their fan base, the Duck Dynasty guys were applauded and supported by theirs.

"Just so you know, we're on the good side with y'all. We do not want this war, this violence. And we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." ~ Natalie Maines

The nerve of that woman.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
"Just so you know, we're on the good side with y'all. We do not want this war, this violence. And we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." ~ Natalie Maines

The nerve of that woman.

It was not smart and VERY poor marketing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Ya don't say? Phil isn't any smarter or a better marketer.

I wouldn't go that far. Jump to the 2:54 mark of the video to see what I'm talkin' 'bout.

And again: Adult Content Warning: EXPLICIT, UNCENSORED material of a MATURE, ADULT nature is included in the following video

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Have you looked into his fan base? Phil has the same fan base as the Dixie Chicks so actually it could be brilliant marketing.

No surprise there. :rolleyes: So if I follow your logic, both people told the truth as they see it but one is, according to you, stupid, and one is smart.. That tells me the truth is unimportant to you.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
No surprise there. :rolleyes: So if I follow your logic, both people told the truth as they see it but one is, according to you, stupid, and one is smart.. That tells me the truth is unimportant to you.

Not Necessarily......................

One clearly KNOWS who their Fan Base is.........and lives their Lives just as their Fan Base does with similar opinions and ideology........whether it be politically and/or Faith beliefs..........

While the other one was clearly out of touch with their Fan Base...........and tried to use their celebrity status to get their "personal opinion" and personal ideology MESSAGE out for the Public to Hear / Listen Too...........

The Apples to Oranges comparison here is that Phil's "Fan Base" AGREES with the Majority of what he said and are offering their Full Support towards him..............

While that Fat Little Girls Fan Base basically didn't want to hear / nor did they give a crap what her "Thoughts and Opinions" were...........All her Fan Base wanted from her was for HER to Shut Her Mouth and ONLY open it for Singing Purposes. She chose to keep running her fat little mouth spewing HER Ideology at her Fan Base instead of "Singing"....and that is what Cost HER....and those 2 Sisters their Musical Career.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't go that far. Jump to the 2:54 mark of the video to see what I'm talkin' 'bout.

And again: Adult Content Warning: EXPLICIT, UNCENSORED material of a MATURE, ADULT nature is included in the following video

This Video Again?????

Again...............Good Gawd.................We didn't listen to this Blow Hard "A" Poll when you posted him a few days ago.......what makes you think we want to listen to this Blow Hard "A" Poll today????

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
While that Fat Little Girls Fan Base basically didn't want to hear / nor did they give a crap what her "Thoughts and Opinions" were...........All her Fan Base wanted from her was for HER to Shut Her Mouth and ONLY open it for Singing Purposes. She chose to keep running her fat little mouth spewing HER Ideology at her Fan Base instead of "Singing"....and that is what Cost HER....and those 2 Sisters their Musical Career.

Don't worry, they're not missing any meals... Funny how you describe how she should "keep her mouth shut except for singing purposes". Women like her need to learn their place, right?

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I didn't say that the truth is unimportant at all, I was commenting from a marketing perspective which was proven through the results.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ya don't say? Phil isn't any smarter or a better marketer.

Natalie Maines attended three colleges in three years for a total of four semsters, and despite getting a full scholarship to Berklee College of Music, she dropped out before completion of the diploma program. Not smart.

Phil Robertson has a bachelors degree in physical education and a masters degree in education. Smart.

At the height of the Dixie Chicks' popularity, Natalie Maines flushed down the toilet her career and the careers of her bandmates with an incredibly ill-timed and stupid political statement made on foreign soil. Since then, her and the Dixie Chicks' record and merchandising sales have been a scant fraction of what it was. Natalie's most recent album, Mother, debuted on the Billboard Top 200 chart at #7, but 6 weeks later it has fallen to #99. Emily and Martie's duo effort, Court Yard Hounds, debuted on the Top 200 at #7, but has steadily fallen over the past 12 weeks on the chart to #192. The single from the album, Amelita, debuted two weeks ago #70, and there it sits for the second week.

At the height of Phil's multi-million dollar Duck Commander duck hunting business, he expanded into deer hunting supplies, sold three reality televisions shows, and marketed related merchandise from Duck Dynasty and Duck Commander underwear to bobbleheads to camouflaged Segways to posters, watches, toy trucks, camo chairs, clothing, jewellery and even bottle openers, worth $400 million a year, of which the family splits ten percent of that, plus $200,000 per episode of the show.

Duck The Halls: A Robertson Family Christmas Album is currently #5 on the Billboard Top 200 (up from #16 last week), #3 on the Digital Album chart (up from #15 last week), and #1 on the Billboard Top Country (up from #2 last week) and #1 Top Holiday Albums charts (was #1 last week).

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Funny how you describe how she should "keep her mouth shut except for singing purposes". Women like her need to learn their place, right?

In this case............YES!

And I am stating this with NO Male Chauvinistic characterization whatsoever............:rolleyes:.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Natalie Maines attended three colleges in three years for a total of four semsters, and despite getting a full scholarship to Berklee College of Music, she dropped out before completion of the diploma program. Not smart.

Phil Robertson has a bachelors degree in physical education and a masters degree in education. Smart.

Being smart and being smart enough to jump through someone else's hoops is not the same thing. It doesn't necessarily translate.

At the height of the Dixie Chicks' popularity, Natalie Maines flushed down the toilet her career and the careers of her bandmates with an incredibly ill-timed and stupid political statement made on foreign soil. Since then, her and the Dixie Chicks' record and merchandising sales have been a scant fraction of what it was. Natalie's most recent album, Mother, debuted on the Billboard Top 200 chart at #7, but 6 weeks later it has fallen to #99. Emily and Martie's duo effort, Court Yard Hounds, debuted on the Top 200 at #7, but has steadily fallen over the past 12 weeks on the chart to #192. The single from the album, Amelita, debuted two weeks ago #70, and there it sits for the second week.

As I am sure you know, many, if not most, country artists don't really attain the big bucks form recording an album, at least not on mainstream labels. The lion's share of their income comes form touring, og which they still do and now control the revenue 100%. You may remember back when they were at the top of the charts they were interviewed by Dan Rather who revealed that even after three record smashing albums, they didn't collectively have even 1 Million dollars in the bank. They got a raw deal up front. A great way to get out of a bad contract is to stop selling records. Not saying this what the plan was but it could have been what happened.

At the height of Phil's multi-million dollar Duck Commander duck hunting business, he expanded into deer hunting supplies, sold three reality televisions shows, and marketed related merchandise from Duck Dynasty and Duck Commander underwear to bobbleheads to camouflaged Segways to posters, watches, toy trucks, camo chairs, clothing, jewellery and even bottle openers, worth $400 million a year, of which the family splits ten percent of that, plus $200,000 per episode of the show.

Duck The Halls: A Robertson Family Christmas Album is currently #5 on the Billboard Top 200 (up from #16 last week), #3 on the Digital Album chart (up from #15 last week), and #1 on the Billboard Top Country (up from #2 last week) and #1 Top Holiday Albums charts (was #1 last week).

If you want to measure his success in dollars and cents ( yeah I know, most of us do) I guess that is impressive. He is marketing it to dopes anyhow. Stupid people will buy what is put in front of them in places like the beer isle at 7-eleven, The front doors of Walmart, K-Mart, etc. and Pilot/Flying J. If he can sleep at night, good for him. Natalie Maines made a stand for something she believed. Foreign soil? Why is that more offensive than if she said it at the Alamo Dome? If that correlates to the sale of this guy's stuff then that just proves my point about who buys it.