Load Acceptance Rates Included in Ranking

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I just got the word today from a dispatcher that they won't negotiate any load rate with a Cargo Van. Guess my 37% load acceptence will take a hit. We now are the expendables. I have a feeling
the head huncho in Memphis is demanding more profit from his crown jewel in Green.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
With the glut of vans its no surprise they feel heavy handed. What have they got to loose when we go belly-up?

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In case you missed it, "Layout, not sure about TVAL but in surface, ES had/has an arrangement where if one of their trucks accepted the low ball offer, it would be adjusted to a pre-agreed rate...ie two trucks side by side get the same 1.05pm offer, ES accepts and it gets adjusted to 1.39, if the non-ES truck accepts, that truck gets it at the 1.05 offer. Same load, same miles etc. We were told this by an ES driver a few years back. That program only extended to ES owned trucks and not O/Os who placed their trucks on with ES". Might be going on again....

Tell the rest of it. The Fleet is listening and I AM as well.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Tell the rest of it. The Fleet is listening and I AM as well.

Not much else to tell, it was during the time FEDEX was trying to get the fleet to convert over to flat rate. Connecting the dots, it seems like a good strategy to make flat rate appear as a more attractive alternative. ES has gotten many privileges that other fleets owners and O/Os didn't. ie., When better known as the 'RED KWs', their trucks could not scale 13,000 lb cargo yet they were all categorized as a 'D' unit. My truck would only scale 12300 so I was down graded to a 'C' unit untill I found out about the 'Red KWs' and questioned it. Before the end of that phone conversation, I was upgraded to a 'D' unit.

Looking at the overall picture, if you were FEDEX and had a fleet of "won't do" owners then along comes a savvy and capable owner that comes up with solutions and results favorable to FEDEX, what would you do? On my side of the fence as an owner, I don't like it. If I was FEDEX, I would be looking for many more of the 'ES' types with some refinements.

Realize that with each power change (management) the new guy or gal is graded on performance based on their predecessor's performance. When Virginia Albanese got her position when Jack Pickard retired, her goal had to be to improve performance over Pickard. Her check comes from FEDEX, not us. We are simply one of the many vehicles for achieving her results. Then the hot seat focused on Jason Frederick: Managing Director of Operations
President and CEO of Custom Critical July 2013 FedEx Five Star Award - highest honor within the FedEx organization recognizing efforts for leadership, profitable contributions and overall quality improvement to the company. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-frederick/10/158/b63 After that, focus shifts to Bill Logue and the cycle repeats. Each time, the theme follows; 'How can I best improve the division for FEDEX' not 'How I can best improve the profits to the contractors'. It is how it is IRT. When some individuals flaunted their profits, they brought much attention to those who we depend on for our contract dollars...and those dollars have been shrinking at a quicker rate because of it My opinion. If you are making good money keep it to yourself. Don't show up at your company driving a Bentley unless your company manufacturers/sells Bentleys. Don't flaunt your profits to the shipper you serve! I realize that opinions vary widely on this topic, but I really believe that the very few Sam Brannan types has ruined the industry. The Gold Rush of 1849 ? History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

Last edited:

CCDriver

Active Expediter
With the really low loads being offered it's great they are using acceptence rates to rank us. And what loads they are sending to us here's a little gem, Dulles Va to York Pa. The run is 117 miles and paying a decent amount..... till you put in the 677 dh miles in. Why even give that to me knowing I can't begin to accept loads like that? Oh and it was a refer load also. If this type load was just once and awhile no big deal but all the loads have been similiar. As for ES a co driver I ran with had his 3 trucks through them and seemed to like them very much. We stopped by their offices to do something on another truck he was buying seemed very nice and willing to take time and help out with things. The insurance savings alone seem worth going with them. Think if I ever buy my own truck I probaly will.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like it when they KNOW you are unable to accept loads, we were not able to clear the border and there was no time estimate on when we would clear, and they STILL were sending out load offers, bad load offers, that we had to turn down. It ONLY took 3 phone calls to get that stopped.

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
Ok. Now with the truth. My wife and I spent nearly an hour talking to an "upper level" FedEx employee last week about this whole mess. In a nut shell, White Glove is earning 80% of the total earnings of CC. Vans and box trucks, especially vans, in the Surface fleet have been holding out for rediculous rates, trying to match what rates WG trucks get. But, the Surface folks don't have the equipment investment or people quals to deserve the rates. So......the decision was made to allow the dispatchers recourse in diverting loads to more reasonable drivers by using their acceptance rate. This whole policy is not aimed at WG trucks and drivers. WG keep doing what you're doing.

Can't say I blame FedEx CC too much for using this policy to get Surface folks to MOVE their trucks/vans on loads and not extort rates that can't be supported by revenue. Nuf sed.

Deville

Not a Member
Ok. Now with the truth. My wife and I spent nearly an hour talking to an "upper level" FedEx employee last week about this whole mess. In a nut shell, White Glove is earning 80% of the total earnings of CC. Vans and box trucks, especially vans, in the Surface fleet have been holding out for rediculous rates, trying to match what rates WG trucks get. But, the Surface folks don't have the equipment investment or people quals to deserve the rates. So......the decision was made to allow the dispatchers recourse in diverting loads to more reasonable drivers by using their acceptance rate. This whole policy is not aimed at WG trucks and drivers. WG keep doing what you're doing.

Can't say I blame FedEx CC too much for using this policy to get Surface folks to MOVE their trucks/vans on loads and not extort rates that can't be supported by revenue. Nuf sed.

But I thought the automated dispatch system made that impossible to divert loads or show favortisim.

MEH, whatever.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

Pure Hogwash!

)

hog·wash (hôgwôsh, -wsh, hg-)
n.
1. Worthless, false, or ridiculous speech or writing; nonsense.
2. Garbage fed to hogs; swill.

Last edited:

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
I can provide the name of the employee. Also said FedEx CC Surface Expedite was financially hemoraging, WG division is bearing the financial burden. They (Surface) have too many vans holding out for higher pay and loads not getting covered. Same for box trucks. These loads then get transferred to another carrier. I guess some folks "just can't handle the truth," as Jack Nicholson said.....

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I guess W/G covers the runs even at a loss? I'm not a financial expert of course. I could be wrong. I have been W/G and the owner did not accept any runs that were not W/G rate. They will negotiate with W/G because it's harder to hand those runs off to another carrier and there is more meat in them. FedEx gets a lot more Surface loads than W/G. I don't doubt what you say,but just because some one tells you something doesn't make it true, I doubt the employee. What I believe is they pass those Surface loads off to other Carriers because they can get them done cheaper than there own trucks will do them therefore making more themselves. Lets face it, if your looking for a cheap rate to move freight you don't call a company like FedEx.

Last edited:

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
I make good money in this business because I always seek the truth. If you don't believe me, call your CC. I called mine after the conversation I spoke of above. It was verified.

Deville

Not a Member
I can provide the name of the employee. Also said FedEx CC Surface Expedite was financially hemoraging, WG division is bearing the financial burden. They (Surface) have too many vans holding out for higher pay and loads not getting covered. Same for box trucks. These loads then get transferred to another carrier. I guess some folks "just can't handle the truth," as Jack Nicholson said.....

I can see that being true to a certain extent. Just lookatyour settlement sheets weekly & compare what the truck made to what the customer was charged. Some weeks the numbers are very even.

From my own experiance I don't ask for more money on every load & some weeks the numbers are very even.

FEDEX can't blame the owner Operators for that. We need to make some money to. This isn't charity. All of our cost's have continued to rise while rates have fallen of cliff the past 6 years. Part of the issue is that alot of these loads are load board loads that Fedex bids on b4 dispatch sends them out to the truck, than they can't figure out why they can't get it covered & will offer 95% of the tariff to the truck. In Addition to revenue CC needs a high daily, weekly & month load count to justify it's existance.

CC has always been the lowest preforming arm of the FEDEX family of companies, BUT we do serve a niche need that people & companies use, so even we are under preforming profit wise we still have to service the customer needs in order to retain that customer since chances are that customor is using CC, Freight, Express & Ground to meet it's own customer needs.

Than one must take into account that even if CC is losing money overall the company get's to write the loss off at the end of fiscal year saving money on it's overall tax burden.

Deville

Not a Member
Also. let's not forget that Team Caffee has posted that they spent time in Green sitting withdispatch for a day or two watching how the automated system dispatched loads & we were told by them that it's impossible to move the load from one truck to the other with out supervisor approval or the dispatcher puting an explanation in the system as why that was done.

The thread is around here somewhere.

I'm not saying either Wolfie or Team Caffee of them wasn't telling the truth. If anything this just goes to show us how much things continue to change.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ok. Now with the truth. My wife and I spent nearly an hour talking to an "upper level" FedEx employee last week about this whole mess. In a nut shell, White Glove is earning 80% of the total earnings of CC.
No wonder they could care less if we "Surface" guys go belly up!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
From what I have read the system has been tweaked again to give negative points to trucks that refuse loads.

My guess is the dispatcher sees nothing different as the computer assigns the points and then displays the trucks in the order they are to be dispatched. Only a educated guess as it has been awhile since we have sat with dispatchers.

Good for Wolfie62 for stopping by the office and asking questions.

Deville

Not a Member
From what I have read the system has been tweaked again to give negative points to trucks that refuse loads.

Just off the top of my head I feel that this new way of ranking trucks by giving negative points for not taking a load regardless of pay is a reverse form of forced dispatching. Trucks can refuse the load & be dinged for it & than get circumvented for a load when you are suppossed to be the next truck in line.

It reminds me of how years ago if you refused 3 or 4 loads in a row you would be taken out of service & could only be put back in service by a CC & given a good "talking" too.

Like everything else, this too shall pass.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
If I drove still, I think I would be out looking for a new career. Myself. I hated the acceptance rate. Screw you. Pay me fairly for the load and we will run it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Just off the top of my head I feel that this new way of ranking trucks by giving negative points for not taking a load regardless of pay is a reverse form of forced dispatching. Trucks can refuse the load & be dinged for it & than get circumvented for a load when you are suppossed to be the next truck in line.

It reminds me of how years ago if you refused 3 or 4 loads in a row you would be taken out of service & could only be put back in service by a CC & given a good "talking" too.

Like everything else, this too shall pass.
I guess that is the point I was trying to make, the perfect world for FedEx is offer a load and it is excepted, Bam, offer another and it is accepted, no questions ask, accept every load, just do every load and don't cause any problem's. I don't believe the bulk of Surface trucks are sitting and waiting for W/G rates. They know W/G pays more and except that,but they do expect a fair rate. This is another attempt at twisting arms. You have the option of saying no to an offer but if you do, you are making things hard for us.

Last edited: