Is trucking a good substitute for divorce?

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
I am thinking about divorcing my wife next year.

I am about to hit the road, is this a good way to gage what a trial separation would be like? Or even better is this a good way to get away from your spouse without having to get a divorce?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am thinking about divorcing my wife next year.

I am about to hit the road, is this a good way to gage what a trial separation would be like? Or even better is this a good way to get away from your spouse without having to get a divorce?

"Hit The Road Jack"

(Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more.)
(Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more.)
What you say?

Woah Woman, oh woman, don't treat me so mean,
You're the meanest old woman that I've ever seen.
I guess if you said so
I'd have to pack my things and go. (That's right)

What you say?

Now baby, listen baby, don't ya treat me this-a way
Cause I'll be back on my feet some day.
(Don't care if you do 'cause it's understood)
(you ain't got no money you just ain't no good.)
Well, I guess if you say so
I'd have to pack my things and go. (That's right)

What you say?

Well
(don't you come back no more.)
Uh, what you say?
I didn't understand you
You can't mean that
Oh, now baby, please
What you tryin' to do to me?
Oh, don't treat me like that

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Probably a good trial separation.
But you might find out that it is cheaper to keep her.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The last thing you want to do is go from a job making $20k to one making $55k then get divorced. It could mean your ex will be entitled to part of your earnings, especially if they supported you while you were in school/training. If it doesn't change your income a great deal then alimony may not be an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The best substitute for a divorce is doing everything you can to mend your marriage. Trucking isn't on that list.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

1roaddog

Seasoned Expediter
You may end up missing each other ! Plan your first night home with a date night. You don't have to be up each others behinds to have a good marriage . Maybe she will develop new interests or renew some and you may also. That will give you a chance to grow as individuals. Good luck..... I am divorced! Take my advice..... I not using it!

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
While roaddog did bring up a valid point that you may find you miss each other there is no substitute for fixing a marriage that doesn't include communication and two people willing to try and mend a broken marriage...I would say trucking most likely will stress a marriage not fix it!

)0( Nasmaste )0(

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The first two part question I ask anyone wanting to get into the trucking business is are you married and have a family and do they want to keep them. If the answer is yes I recomend they find annother carreer. It takes a strong marrage to survive the trucking business.
Ive been in trucking for just over five years, My younger brother twenty years, I have friends and other family members in and have been in the trucking industry so I can say if you want a divorce you just guarenteed it to happen.
I am promarrage and if you have kids, find a job that gets you home nightly and work on your marrage. Its cheaper to keep her.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
Thank you for all the advise, I guess I should expand on this since there seems to be quite a bit assumptions going around.

Lets start by clarifying that the biggest cost involved in all this will be the filling $350 and the child support which I calculated will be around $600 a month. Other than that there will not b any nasty or costly dividing of things as she will keep everything.

Also I want to let everyone here know that I am trying and have been for a year now to work on what is lacking in our marriage. A lot of people say that being married to your best friend is ideal, reality has taught me otherwise. We get along, we have our arguments but always resolve them and we certainly like spending time together like I said we r good friends but we r not a married couple. There is absolutely no spark or fire or desire of any type on her part I have mentioned this to her many times but never really get anywhere because she ends up telling me that I am making her feel bad.

This may be selfish but when I got married I thought I was getting a wife not a roommate.

So I will now continue to stress the problem and trying to solve while at the same time giving her an example of what it will b like when I am gone. I hope that she either changes or that she gets used to me being gone so when I leave permanently it will not b such a shock. Plus for me it will be a test to see if I can live without my kids for an extended period of time.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Have you considered the benefits a mistress could provide? (Sarcasm) Truck driving could be a way to push the relationship in another direction because it will completely change everything your marriage has become. You may just need to go to a marriage counselor, they can help express feelings and clear up the man/woman language barriers. FYI, never underestimate a PO'ed woman's desire or ability to make your life a living nightmare.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Wow. That was MY life exactly two years ago. (Except no kids) Long story, short, I am now re-married to a wonderful, loving, caring, warm, "physical" woman that greets me at the door with hugs and kisses when I get home. Yes, it cost me virtually everything I had except for my HAPPINESS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im going sound like a total douche bag...
He already made the decision he is just looking for confirmation.

Bob Wolf