A nice pic of the 2014 Ford Econoline replacement

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm not a ford fan but I have to admit this is a pretty neat looking van.
The Shelby racing stripes and the rims make it look "future cool".

ford-Transit-2014-Econoline-replacement.jpg

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'm very much looking forward to this van here in the US. It looks like they've perfected their craft in Europe first and are now bringing it over here. Everything I've read - it will give MB a run for their money.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Yeah ok whatever Lawrence!

When it has a diesel that does 20-24 mpg I'll be interested

Till then I'll stand by my trusty SPRINTER with the MB diesel

Joe

Sent from my LG-VS700 using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah ok whatever Lawrence!

When it has a diesel that does 20-24 mpg I'll be interested

Till then I'll stand by my trusty SPRINTER with the MB diesel

Joe

Sent from my LG-VS700 using EO Forums

They might need a diesel with the gasser they are talking about using.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They might need a diesel with the gasser they are talking about using.

That was supposed to read "not need"

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Would this van get sprinter rates?

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~
The van in the picture wouldn't. The longer, taller version most likely will. As far as I know we haven't seen any actual dimensions yet. You pretty much need 12 ft of cargo length and 6 ft of cargo height to get Sprinter rates.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If they get the projected mileage from the eco-boost engine it won't need diesel. Supposedly real world 2x mpg on regular gasoline. They just need to HURRY UP and get it here.

petercar

Active Expediter
If they get the projected mileage from the eco-boost engine it won't need diesel. Supposedly real world 2x mpg on regular gasoline. They just need to HURRY UP and get it here.

maybe it'll cost less to service than the sprinter, and stay out of the repair shop

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I want a Sprinter so, oh so bad, I just don't want it to be a Sprinter.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My son bought an F-150, short box, crew cab, FWD with the V-6 Eco-Boost. He has been averaging 19 mpg city/highway combined with an open box. When it comes to driving I'm a bit more conservative than he is. I'm sure I could average 23 mpg or better with the same truck. I'm thinking driven conservatively, a long and tall Transit with the Eco-Boost should be able to average in the low 20's mpg wise. Plenty of power, although I only drove it once, unladen. I did gouge on it and there was no turbo lag.

One drawback I see to this engine is when one or both of the two turbos goes OTFL. I imagine this won't be a cheap repair bill. Does anyone know what the average life expectancy of these turbos are? From my limited experience, I believe the Eco-Boost would be a great engine for expediting, whether it is in an Econoline or a Transit. I guess time will tell about the longevity of the turbos and the engine.