Huning pigs in Texas

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter

I'm probably going to get "shot" down for this one LOL, but here goes :p

I couldn't watch all the video, but I scanned the frames and picked it up again at the end ......

I didn't see anywhere that they collected the meat .... isn't that naughty? I thought hunters only hunted for meat :confused:

Another comment is .... how do they know that they killed the pig outright and not just wounded it and left it in pain :(

Be nice :p

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
English lady I wondering the same sometimes. I don't mind hunting but eat what you kill or don't kill it at all. I would imagine they kept some and left some. These wild hogs are so bad and dangerous. They charge and attack humans ruin thousands of dollars in crops and other farm land. They kill livestock and other animals. Real big dangerous pests. They breed like rabbits so I can kinda see why they do this to thin the heard

Last edited:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I agree Chris, I watched a program on TV and they are a real nuisance, but that is no excuse for needless pain - the guys on the program gave the meat to charities.

Just as long as they did have a clean up crew following the copter, and finished the pigs off quickly if needed, and gave the meat to charity I don't have a problem with their "fun".

:)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
That is totally totally awesome!!!

I have got to go on a flying hunt like that!!!

As far as concerns about this being "Naughty", or Hunters should "Eat" what they kill or don't Kill at all, none of that applies to Wild Hogs here in Texas. Buzzards and other carnivores gotta eat too and these guys are just supplying them an "Open Buffett" doing this.

Texas has a Huge Huge Hog problem and it's Open Season on Hogs ALL YEAR long. Farmers carry loaded rifles in their trucks everywhere they go and shoot at any Hog they see anywhere they are. The Wild Hogs are destroying thousand and thousands of acres of land & crops all over Texas. Of which is costing Farmers and the State itself millions and millions of dollars a year.

When you watch the Video.....don't just watch the guy and the hogs he is shooting at, pan around in the background and pay close attention to the landscape. You will see what looks like "Craters" ALL OVER THE PLACE in that video. It kind of looks like a War Zone where Artillery Shells have landed. Some of the Craters you see look Fresh (About 4:10 - 4:13 in the Video), and you will see many many other Craters that look like they've been there for a while. They are ALL OVER the landscape these guys are flying over.....Again, pay close attention to the background in the video. This is the Damage the millions of Hogs all over Texas are inflicting on our Land. These craters are not small either. I have seen Craters myself out there that were at least 40ft X 20ft and 3-4ft Deep.

I LOVE this Video!! Kind of reminds of a scene out of Full Metal Jacket. Guy in the Helicoptor firing his M60 yelling "GET SOME.....GET SOME.....GET SOME" as they're Flying over the jungles of Vietnam.

Best Kill shot in this Video......9:15 or so......Hog Does a forward flip when he's hit. I Love It!!

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
That is totally totally awesome!!!

I LOVE this Video!! Kind of reminds of a scene out of Full Metal Jacket. Guy in the Helicoptor firing his M60 yelling "GET SOME.....GET SOME.....GET SOME" as they're Flying over the jungles of Vietnam.

Best Kill shot in this Video......9:15 or so......Hog Does a forward flip when he's hit. I Love It!!

..... Oh boy ...... I surrender

:p :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
..... Oh boy ...... I surrender

:p :p
Yes, Texas has a huge hog problem. They also have a problem with small and medium sized hogs. a wacka wacka badum-dum tshhhhh

Think of the wild pig problem the same as any other pest, like rats or mice, or hey! that spider crawling on your left ankle. (Ha! Made you look!)

There was a time when hunters wished they had some wild pigs to hunt. So, they released domestic pigs so they could breed and become feral hogs (the pigs, not the hunters). The hunters got what they wished for. The farmers aren't pleased. Texas wouldn't be Texas if there wasn't a range war of some kind or another going on. It's what they do down there.

Then again the feral hog problem isn't limited to just Texas. There's a reason the University of Arkansas mascot is a Razorback.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Yes, Texas has a huge hog problem. They also have a problem with small and medium sized hogs. a wacka wacka badum-dum tshhhhh

Think of the wild pig problem the same as any other pest, like rats or mice, or hey! that spider crawling on your left ankle. (Ha! Made you look!)

There was a time when hunters wished they had some wild pigs to hunt. So, they released domestic pigs so they could breed and become feral hogs (the pigs, not the hunters). The hunters got what they wished for. The farmers aren't pleased. Texas wouldn't be Texas if there wasn't a range war of some kind or another going on. It's what they do down there.

Then again the feral hog problem isn't limited to just Texas. There's a reason the University of Arkansas mascot is a Razorback.

Didn't quite make me look LOL :rolleyes:

On the program that I mentioned earlier, they were covering Florida, Texas and Hawaii.

Oh ... and for Brisco .....

In the UK we have a saying "If it doesn't move paint it",

I reckon here it is "shoot it anyway" ROFL :p :D

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Took me a few minutes...........

Got me.......Idiot. :) :) :)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I'm probably going to get "shot" down for this one LOL, but here goes :p

I couldn't watch all the video, but I scanned the frames and picked it up again at the end ......

I didn't see anywhere that they collected the meat .... isn't that naughty? I thought hunters only hunted for meat :confused:

Another comment is .... how do they know that they killed the pig outright and not just wounded it and left it in pain :(

Be nice :p

the call a hog doctor, he goes out and shoots them one more time,just kiddn

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Took me a few minutes...........

Got me.......Idiot. :) :) :)

It's like that place in the Carolinas, JR's or whatever it is. Billboards all over the place. It's a huge cigarette outlet.

Or the big fish market.

Or "He's a good fastball hitter."
Anybody can hit a good fastball. <snort>

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many other states have problems with wild hogs. Michigan is now starting to developo a problem with them. Some escaped from farms, some some 'game farms and some were just let go as farmers lost their farms. There is a 'kill on sight' season in Michigan. As well there should be.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Michigan law regarding feral swine. It looks like the DNR is declaring war on them. None too soon either. We must not let these pigs get established in the State.

[SIZE=+1]Rules for Shooting Feral Swine

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]What is a feral swine?
A feral swine is a free-ranging pig. Feral swine are considered exotic, nuisance species and cause damage to agricultural lands and the environment. Feral swine can also have negative impacts on wildlife and livestock.

Is it legal to take feral swine?
Yes, if you are legally hunting game during an open season (of any type) and see a feral swine you may pursue that animal if you wish, following all the regulations of the open season which you are hunting. (Please note: There is an open season of some species 365 days of the year.) For open seasons and regulations, please view the most current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest.

What is the new law, Public Acts 69-71 of 2010?
The new law does not establish a hunting season on feral swine. Public Acts 69-71 of 2010 declare feral swine a nuisance species and allow for the opportunistic take of any free-ranging pig running at large. Under this law, a person with a concealed pistol permit (CPL) or valid hunting license can kill swine running at large on public property; landowners or other authorized persons can kill swine running at large on private property; and local animal control officers and law enforcement can kill swine running at large on either public or private property.

When can I legally shoot a feral swine?
Any time during regular hunting hours and when actively night-hunting raccoon, opossum, fox and coyote. (Please be sure to follow all day and night hunting regulations for the season in which you are hunting game. Refer to the current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest for details.)

What type of hunting license do I need to pursue feral swine?
Any type of valid hunting license or a concealed pistol permit is needed on public property. Possession of either of these allows the holder to be in legal possession of the firearm associated with the license or permit on public land.

If I have a CPL, do I also need a hunting license?
No, you do not need a hunting license in conjunction with the CPL.

Can I shoot feral swine on private property?
If you are the landowner or have permission of the landowner, you may shoot feral swine on private property at any time. It is not necessary to possess a hunting license or CPL to kill feral swine on private land.

[/SIZE]

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Michigan law regarding feral swine. It looks like the DNR is declaring war on them. None too soon either. We must not let these pigs get established in the State.

[SIZE=+1]Rules for Shooting Feral Swine

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]What is a feral swine?
A feral swine is a free-ranging pig. Feral swine are considered exotic, nuisance species and cause damage to agricultural lands and the environment. Feral swine can also have negative impacts on wildlife and livestock.

Is it legal to take feral swine?
Yes, if you are legally hunting game during an open season (of any type) and see a feral swine you may pursue that animal if you wish, following all the regulations of the open season which you are hunting. (Please note: There is an open season of some species 365 days of the year.) For open seasons and regulations, please view the most current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest.

What is the new law, Public Acts 69-71 of 2010?
The new law does not establish a hunting season on feral swine. Public Acts 69-71 of 2010 declare feral swine a nuisance species and allow for the opportunistic take of any free-ranging pig running at large. Under this law, a person with a concealed pistol permit (CPL) or valid hunting license can kill swine running at large on public property; landowners or other authorized persons can kill swine running at large on private property; and local animal control officers and law enforcement can kill swine running at large on either public or private property.

When can I legally shoot a feral swine?
Any time during regular hunting hours and when actively night-hunting raccoon, opossum, fox and coyote. (Please be sure to follow all day and night hunting regulations for the season in which you are hunting game. Refer to the current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest for details.)

What type of hunting license do I need to pursue feral swine?
Any type of valid hunting license or a concealed pistol permit is needed on public property. Possession of either of these allows the holder to be in legal possession of the firearm associated with the license or permit on public land.

If I have a CPL, do I also need a hunting license?
No, you do not need a hunting license in conjunction with the CPL.

Can I shoot feral swine on private property?
If you are the landowner or have permission of the landowner, you may shoot feral swine on private property at any time. It is not necessary to possess a hunting license or CPL to kill feral swine on private land.

[/SIZE]

Is Federal Swine included too?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A statement on feral hogs from Texas A&M. They appear to have a different take on the origin of feral hogs on Texas than what was posted here earlier.

See the Coping With Feral Hogs site for species fact sheets, management resources, publications, and FAQ.

[h=3]Statement[/h]
Of the estimated 4 to 5 million feral hogs in the United States, approximately 2 million call Texas home. Feral hogs can be found in approximately 230 of our 254 counties and cause an estimated $52 million of damage to Texas agricultural enterprises each year. However, feral hogs are causing an increasing amount of damage in suburban/urban areas because of vehicle collisions and landscape damage.

Control techniques include shooting, trapping, snaring and the use of specially trained dogs. There are no registered toxicants or other products that can be used as toxicants to control feral hogs in the United States. For landowners, trapping efficiently is one of the best means for controlling feral hogs. The use of larger traps placed in areas adjacent to and upwind of where hogs spend their daytime hours improves catch rates. Pre-baiting is essential meaning traps should not be set to capture hogs until the hogs are regularly responding to bait and entering a trap.

Landowners may wish to recoup some of the damage losses or hog control costs by either leasing hunting rights or selling live hogs to processors who pay for hogs on a per pound basis. The Texas Animal Health Commission maintains a list of buying stations located across the state that can purchase hogs from landowners. TAHC also has several new regulations concerning holding and transporting feral hogs that should be reviewed by those interested in selling feral swine.

[h=3]Current Projects[/h]
The Texas AgriLife Extension Service is currently conducting a number of feral hog abatement projects via a two year grant provided by the Texas Department of Agriculture. The project is mainly designed to enhance and facilitate direct control measures by Wildlife services personnel to remove hogs that potentially could cause disease transmission to domestic swine herds or otherwise damage agricultural; enterprises and urban landscapes. An additional component of this project is indirect control via education. The abatement project will run through mid-2010. During and after this special project, landowners can contact their county Extension agents or attend various feral hogs programs conducted across the state to learn more about feral hogs and their control. Management information is also available at the AgriLife Bookstore.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Where did Feral Hogs come from?

A:When settlers first came to parts of the frontier they brought hogs with them as livestock. Free ranging hogs escaped captivity and established breeding populations.

Q: What is the difference between a feral hog and a Javelina?
A: While feral hogs are an invasive, exotic pig species, Javelina are a native, peccary species. Javelina, or Collared Peccaries, do not root like pigs do and are significantly less destructive.

Feral Hogs « AgriLife Extension – Wildlife & Fisheries