Hidden Compartments in Trucks

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Legislation is moving forward in two states (OH & PA) that makes it illegal to have hidden compartments in trucks, either in all circumstances or some circumstances depending on the language of the bill. The intent is to help make the world safer by denying hidden compartments to people who use hidden compartments to carry guns, drugs and trafficked human beings.

See this Land Line magazine report.

An aftermarket sleeper manufacturer once told me of a driver who had a hidden compartment built into his sleeper in which he carries a gun. The idea was to avoid detection in states where the gun would be illegal.

When we had our truck body built, we had a covered channel built into the front wall through which the reefer lines are passed. Does that qualify as a hidden compartment under this legislation?

What if you built into the floor of your sleeper a hidden compartment in which a small fireproof safe is kept for storing valuables and vital papers? Does that make you a criminal under this legislation?

Our Volvo truck has a hidden compartment built into the dash. There are no handles, screws, hinges or signs that indicate it is there. Volvo owners know this compartment as the fuse box. If these bills pass, would we have to make up a label for the fuse box saying, "Hey, Mr. Policeman, this is not a hidden compartment because this label tells you it is here?"

The Pennsylvania version of the bill does not say it is illegal to have a hidden compartment in your truck. A hidden compartment would only become illegal if you intended to use it for hiding illegal drugs, guns or for human trafficking. I guess if you have a hidden compartment in your truck, you will need to route around Ohio and think only good thoughts while driving through Pennsylvania.

For gun runners, drug smugglers and human traffickers, I can see where such laws will be a real problem. I mean if you can't hide your illegal cargo in a hidden compartment, what alternative is there but to give up your trade and seek legal work?

On the other hand, drug smugglers have been known to hide their drugs inside vehicle tires. Tires are not hidden compartments so maybe the smugglers will be OK after all.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
As all Bolt/ Bentz owners know, there are a few hidden compartments built into their design also.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Cant remember exactly, but we heard this discussed on landline now radio and there was some discussion about service locations in trucks. What we got from it was is if was put there to service part of the truck/trailer and not requested by the owner it was ok. Until the final wording is done though, one cant be sure.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Legislation is moving forward in two states (OH & PA) that makes it illegal to have hidden compartments in trucks, either in all circumstances or some circumstances depending on the language of the bill. The intent is to help make the world safer by denying hidden compartments to people who use hidden compartments to carry guns, drugs and trafficked human beings.

See this Land Line magazine report.

When we had our truck body built, we had a covered channel built into the front wall through which the reefer lines are passed. Does that qualify as a hidden compartment under this legislation?

Since you have to ask, yes, yes it does. But your INTENT will be discussed at length after your arrest and before your arraigned. Do you intend to smuggle something or hide something? You have an attorney present, so…. You have to answer the question. Do you intend to smuggle?? Just what are your intentions?

The point here is there are many ways in which persons find ways commit an act that is illegal where the law does not specifically address the METHOD for which the crime takes place. But without clear laws to catch those who INTEND to commit the illegal act it can be difficult to make an arrest with “intent” to commit the illegal act.

i.e Method; Rape is illegal. But can I claim someone is a rapist just because they own a lot of phallic items for probing?

Ohhhh, this if just FUN!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As all Bolt/ Bentz owners know, there are a few hidden compartments built into their design also.

So if these bills become laws, do the Bentz/Bolt sleeper owners in question unhide their hidden compartments to stay on the right side of the law? Just how do you unhide a hidden compartment like that anyway?

These proposed laws are just plain stupid. There is not a single case of human trafficking, drug smuggling or gun running that will be prevented by the laws but many headaches will be created for truckers who build hidden compartments into their trucks for legitimate reasons.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

If there's a hidden compartment in my Bentz sleeper, it's hidden from me, too! Which brings up a question: what if this truck were found to have such a compartment, and that compartment were found to contain traces of drugs, or gunpowder, or other illegal items? It wasn't new when I got it, so how do they determine the source?
Phil is right: the law is vague, and there's no compelling reason for it. Current law allows authorities to confiscate vehicles used in trafficking - if the law needs expanding to cover weapons, people, etc, then that's what they should do. Truck drivers may well choose to keep a significant amount of cash readily available for emergency use, and they have every right to keep it hidden from criminals who may break & enter the truck.

Kristi

Active Expediter

If there's a hidden compartment in my Bentz sleeper, it's hidden from me, too! Which brings up a question: what if this truck were found to have such a compartment, and that compartment were found to contain traces of drugs, or gunpowder, or other illegal items? It wasn't new when I got it, so how do they determine the source?
Phil is right: the law is vague, and there's no compelling reason for it. Current law allows authorities to confiscate vehicles used in trafficking - if the law needs expanding to cover weapons, people, etc, then that's what they should do. Truck drivers may well choose to keep a significant amount of cash readily available for emergency use, and they have every right to keep it hidden from criminals who may break & enter the truck.

I'm right there with you. If there is some hidden compartment anywhere in our truck I have no clue as to where it might be. We also got this truck used and know nothing about the last people who owned it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

MissKat

Expert Expediter
If its a bentz, pull the cushions under the windows out when the bed is up. Theres places underneath and behind them

Melissa ~ Team Kephart @ Mayfield Express

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If the compartment is hidden, how is a law enforcement officer going to find it?

It was talked about herewhen the FEDS were showing off their new toy a few months ago...I believe their "VIPR" roadside xray system would find them....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speak up Cheri, speak up. I'm certain you had something good to say so speak up. No need to whisper. This isn't a library.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Since you have to ask, yes, yes it does. But your INTENT will be discussed at length after your arrest and before your arraigned. Do you intend to smuggle something or hide something? You have an attorney present, so…. You have to answer the question. Do you intend to smuggle?? Just what are your intentions?!!

Having an attorney present doesn't confer any compulsion to answer. You may have heard of the right to remain silent. I wonder, though, because I've had to point this right out several times on this forum. The only way they can compel you to answer is to offer you immunity. Then, with no possibility of incriminating yourself, the basis for remaining silent no longer applies.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or press charges against you. That doesnt mean you have to talk but it isn't gonna be cheap.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hidden compartments in trucks? Will this lead to roadside cavity searches?

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Could someone pm me where the secret compartments are on this Bolt/Benz.
I'm missing some music cds and I forgot where I hid them. Thnx.:D