To Post or Not To Post - That Be The Question Y'all

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Well, part of me really wants to bring up an issue with a certain expediting company who I feel made a bad decision today and really showed a lack of character. Part of me just wants to laugh and forget it.

The thing is, I am tossed about posting what happened. I really dislike when people whine and complain and bash companies here. However, I do feel obligated to inform drivers of possible problems they may run into and share my experiences.

So, what do you think? I know I just forgive and move on, no problem, done. But do I share my experiences and educate drivers of a potential hazzard of working with a certain company? Your opinion is appreciated!

Rock On

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think it is important to post the good and bad so that those seeking information as they consider getting started have a real inside view of the industry. You may view what others post as pointless complaining which some of it might be but it serves an important purpose and helps clear the BS Shipping Wars idea out of people's minds.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Maybe post the facts without naming the company. Follow the responses as to if you post the name later. The facts themselves may be a learning tool. The name may be just revenge, or it may be asked for. You may just reveal the name to those that pm you.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If you feel the info will be of benefit to current drivers, O/O's and or newbies, then post it. But make sure that what you feel in a bad deal isn't just maybe a 1 time deal that went wrong...If you feel this is going to continue and will impact others, then yes post it...and name the carrier....

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
So, what do you think? I know I just forgive and move on, no problem, done. But do I share my experiences and educate drivers of a potential hazzard of working with a certain company? Your opinion is appreciated!

Well in my opinion and since you asked Ill give mine..And keep in mind its only my opinion and not advice.
I also think its important for ppl to hear whats wrong in this industry but don't think it will change anything..These carriers or company's have been at this longer then most of us and arnt going to change more then likely. Its their way or the Highway so to speak and to a degree I agree with that.
As long as your story is facts and not really slander I see no harm in naming and telling of your proplem..Not sure I would call anyone out by personal name on a public forum but I see no harm in naming a carrier or company..Also keep in mind this is not my web site so if they don't like what you post they will remove it.
I say tell your story,,,Who knows, maybe it will even inform the front office of something they are not aware of and make em pull up their big boy pants and start doing things right for the contractors out here.. (Kinda doubtful tho,,any front office not aware of whats going on has bigger problems then most of us.)

When you say hazard that could cover alot of things..Safety hazards caused by others should be talked about..If this Hazard is a carrier demanding something in the line of you running 1100 miles straight thru,,You become the hazard for doing it, and not the carrier.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well, part of me really wants to bring up an issue with a certain expediting company who I feel made a bad decision today and really showed a lack of character. Part of me just wants to laugh and forget it.

The thing is, I am tossed about posting what happened. I really dislike when people whine and complain and bash companies here. However, I do feel obligated to inform drivers of possible problems they may run into and share my experiences.

It does not matter how honorable your motives are or how factual the post; some readers will see it as whining, crapping where you eat, biting the hand that feeds you, being disloyal to your carrier, etc. Others will see your post for what it is; a well-intentioned statement supported by the facts.

How posts like the one you are contemplating are perceived is a function of how people relate to their carrier. However a reader perceives a carrier; that is the filter through which your post will be run when it is interpreted and reacted to.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
You can tell your story with allusions to the carrier info like their location logo initials etc if that makes you feel better. But those of us that folliw your posts know you have been honorable and righteous. I believe that is why a lot of us are here to gain info to lead us through the maze....

Sent from my VS920 4G using EO Forums

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Tell it like it is. As long as it's the truth and you can back up what you say.
EO is a great learning tool and we all need to hear the good and bad.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
If you do post - I would suggest that you be sure to list all important details from all sides involved - as unbiased as you possibly can. From my experience when dealing in "driver resolution", is that the driver will tell one story with some facts, dispatch or the other department involved will give a different version of the story with some facts, and the TRUTH lies in the "middle" with all the facts put together.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I will post what happened since I had it happend to one of my fleet drivers. I will however not name the company because I still have another cargo van on with them and I have accepted the way that this company does business. One of my drivers was let go because he refused to run 300 mile and under loads for .85 cents a mile. My driver still gets paid 60 cents per mile no matter what but he was looking out for both of us seeing that the shorter run was not mutually bebeficial for both the owner and the driver of the van.

My other driver is on with this company and i'm just going to have her take whatever load comes along because I have the arrangement set up so that I can make money oever a lower amount of projected overall miles - seeing that almost every moving part in the van has been replaced in the past 4 months aside from engine and transmission overhaul. I've in essence pre-paid my maintenance for the rest of the year and I can afford to operate this unit on a smaller profit margin.

I also know what happened to Preacher Rich! All he wanted was an extra five cents per mile. He is like a lot of drivers I know - he has a set minimum amount that he has to get before he backs his van out of the driveway when he is at home. I sometimes used to use the same principles - but I no longer driver and my driving days are all done for at least a year because if an accident.

Rich can elaborate in further detail if he wishes to do so. I can understand why a company with a set rate per mile might be upset if a driver is always asking for more money - because they probably bid on loads with the 85 cent per mile in the figure. It is for that very same reason that I will not lease on sprinter vans because I had two leased on to me once and I could not get anywhere near the rate per mile that they wanted and eve if I could get them that reat - i'd have barely broke even on the load. I'm very ashamed at the way things are right now for the vans.

I can win loads day and night for my trucks - but they are all going for slightly over or slightly under a dollar a mile which does not leave very much room for profits for me or my drivers. I hope things improve but i'm not going to hold m breath! Good luck guys, I really feel for you all.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I honestly feel you should post the bads about companies if you are a known member here because i'm more prone to believe guys I have seen intelligent and truthful posts from rather than a 1 time post which is a drive by posting.

Companies do from time to time shaft drivers, its not a new thing it has been happening as long as trucking has been around. I would like to know which companies continue doing this so I can stay away when looking for employment.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I honestly feel you should post the bads about companies if you are a known member here because i'm more prone to believe guys I have seen intelligent and truthful posts from rather than a 1 time post which is a drive by posting.

Companies do from time to time shaft drivers, its not a new thing it has been happening as long as trucking has been around. I would like to know which companies continue doing this so I can stay away when looking for employment.

There is a possibility that he may be the shaftor and not the shaftee. Depends on which side of the fence you are on.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Anytime I tried to warn I was accused of lying and stirring trouble. Once, when a different thread appeared 4 months later bemoaning the same carrier which I warned about, I just shook my head, laughed out loud, and returned to my MahJong game.

You can try to warn and help, but many won't appreciate it. The ones who do will tell you in PM, they won't want to get attacked in forum. The ones who don't will attempt to make you look stupid in forum (which backfires on them, really).

As long as you have facts on your side and are ready for the onslaught of irrelevant personal attacks, go for it.

We should be supportive of one another out here.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If your talking about a nickel a mile difference for a 300 mile trip shame on the company. If they can't come up with $15 bucks more for a 300 mile trip no one should call them. I will run 300 mile trips all day long but for a lot more than chicken feed, I'm a meat and potatoes man.:cool:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
There is a possibility that he may be the shaftor and not the shaftee. Depends on which side of the fence you are on.

It can go either way. I got shafted by a company i was with 4 years ago. I was promised and had it in writing what the load was paying and after running it found out it was .20 cents less per mile less. This was a 1300 mile load so that was a pretty good chunk never given.

So yes i believe there are companies that will screw you for the hell of it. Thats why im saying if it happens often to numerous drivers and facts are there to back it up I would like to be warned.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
I was back home home after 6 weeks away, had my week off, honey do list was done and thought I would go back on the boards (I run for 6 carriers, actually 5 now) Tigers were undefeated and the Wings were starting another run for Lord Stanleys Cup. I didn't care if I got a load or not.

I call my newest carrier and tell the dispatcher that in the past I have not left home for less than 90cpm and on loads 250 miles or less were $1 per mile. I told the dispatcher if that was a problem I would wait and go in service after I left home. He said he could bid that rate. I said thanks and that was the end of the call.

I check my email a few hours later and here is the copy of the email that I received:

I was just informed by ****** in dispatch that you dont leave your house for less than 90 cpm. Our rates were explained to you when you signed on.
we regret to inform you that your services are no longer needed, and we will retire you from our system immediately. Good luck in your endeavors

Regards,

(copied and pasted, the only thing I changed was the dispatchers name)

So that is what happened. No phone call, operations supervisor will not return my phone calls. To me it affected my pride more than anything. I will say they have a really good and aggressive dispatch team that really helped fill in the gaps when I needed a load and they pay twice a week and never had a problem.

It just threw me for a loop, I really try to be an asset to every carrier I work with. Oh well, it is probably for the best anyway, my goals are higher than 85 cents a mile.

Every company has the right to set what ever standards they want, and contract or not contract with any driver they want. They just left me with the impression that they think drivers are disposable and some other dumb ape can replace them.

Last edited:

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
If you really want to know the name of the carrier, you can send me a PM and after I deliver my load in Laredo, at well over 85cpm, I will respond