New Ford transit van information from Europe

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Came about this UK site with versions and prices on Transit van. Looks like they will be
around 30K to start and I would think the versions would be similar in USA. Diesel engines are 2.2L. They offer front and rear wheel drive versions. I've seen them in Europe and they look really nice.

For whomever is interested you can all see them at the link below.

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Transit/Models-and-Prices

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
30k for a CV, The Jumbo sprinter body type converts into $42,000 for now....by the time ya tack on a few options, taxes... it'll be in the 50k range

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
They have been running around metro detroit for a yr now...and there is a storage lot of them at one of the research centers off I-94...but i forget where...and I am with Scott..they won't have a "Base" price near $30 grand..you will get them up to $40,000 with options..but they will still be cheaper then the Sprinter just beacuse it sayes "Ford" on the grille...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know when they will become available. I read an article that stated the Transit will be made at Ford's Claycomo plant in 2013. The article wasn't specific about it being the model year 2013, possibly making it available this fall or if production would begin in the year 2013.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm hoping this fall Moot as everything I've read says "2013". I'd think that if it was anytime after new year they'd be released as early '14's Dennis they're sitting at the Allen Park engineering on 94 near the Belle Tire for all the world to see.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Comparing the info on this Transit website to the Sprinter site, it seems the Transit isn't quite as competitive as first blush would seem. Looking at load floor length and weight capacity you get the following:

Transit models
Short 101.65" / 8.47' and 3439 pounds
Medium 116.1" / 9.67' and 3670 pounds
Long 133.81" / 11.15' and 3474 pounds
Jumbo 162.28" / 13.52' and 2837 pounds

That compares to Sprinter models
Short 128.5" / 10.7' and 3385 pounds
Long 169.3" / 14.1' and 2988 pounds
Extended 185" / 15.4' and 2855 pounds

and the extended Chevy at 146.2" / 12.18' and 3992 pounds.

The long Transit is closest to the short Sprinter in capacities. The jumbo Transit is almost equal to a long Sprinter and Ford just doesn't have anything to compete with the extended Sprinter. Prices may be enough better to make the case for the Transit. The capacities seem to lean to the Sprinter.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot the last time I got an update it will be mid-2013 that they will have full production, but some of the dealer demos will go out earlier.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder how the Americanized version will compare to the European version. I was talking to a fellow driver last week, and he told me that the European versions of the Sprinter come with a manual transmission. I don't think you can get the manual tranny here, only the automatic that was originally designed for an SUV. The Transits I see in the link above show a manual transmission. Will we be able to get that here, or will we have only the automatic available? Just one thought of potential differences.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The thing that many do not get is how the system works here. If the company (ford in this case) does not see a large sales potential or has a customer who wants a quantity of a special order, then it won't happen.

For the past few years, these UK sites pop up and got to tell you that until you see the NA market version, don't expect much in the way of accurate info.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
About ten days ago I saw about a 1/2 page article with large picture in a new magazine. Probably the latest Motor Trend or Car and Driver. If you want to flip quickly thru a mag the pic showed a red non-window version. Not being a vanner I don't remember any details.

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
The Transits I see in the link above show a manual transmission. Will we be able to get that here, or will we have only the automatic available? Just one thought of potential differences.

In Europe almost all vehicles are manual. It is the exact opposite of USA. The automatic transmissions are a special order item for most companies here. Ford definitional will be making alot of changes for the NA market I would think. Automatic transmission is a given and probably a little stronger engine, but with better mpg than the e350s.

I would prefer the Transit over the Sprinter if similar specs.The Ford support is what would make me go with the Transit. I would be a little worried if it is too much changed from the Europe models though.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope the support is better. One of the big problems with the Sprinter is getting repairs if you have a problem on the road. Even dealership support is spotty. Ford almost has to be better because it would be hard to be worse.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
well using UK specs for the Jumbo Van the payload range is 1287Kg = 2831 lbs.....add driver, fuel, and personal items....It'll be close to a 2,000/2200 lb payload.....

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not sure it's correct but my conversion program says 1287kg = 2837lb, 18 pounds less than the extended Sprinter, the difference being the Sprinter has almost 23" longer floor length along with the few extra pounds capability.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure it's correct but my conversion program says 1287kg = 2837lb, 18 pounds less than the extended Sprinter, the difference being the Sprinter has almost 23" longer floor length along with the few extra pounds capability.

It is all guess work till the first one rolls off the line...

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
I'll keep my eyes open here for any info Ford provides the dealers.

If anyone wants to inspect one of the Ford HCV vans, we took in a used one with 32k on it for $26,995. And it can be financed.. www.wehelpbadcredit.com is the website to check out.

Drive safe in this winter weather!

James

Monty

Expert Expediter
I see the dual wheel will do 4,900 pounds .... but I wonder what the dry weight is?

Wonder if it will come in under 10,000 pounds