Windshield Cleaning..my view

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I have a zippered bag that I use for a windshield cleaning kit, keeping everything in one place and organized. In the kit I have a can or spray bottle of cleaning fluid ( I use rain-x brand), a poofy type fabric ball (found in the cosmetics / bath/ soap dept @ walmart for 2 bucks), a 10 dollar micro cloth window cleaner with a handle that is marketed for cleaning the inside of windows ( as seen on tv). I open the hood of the S/T and climb up near the windshield, standing on the bracing bars on top of the engine. I spray one side of windshield letting the spray soak on the bugs and grime for a few minutes, then use the poofy thing to scrub the windshield, with a final "polishing swipe" using the micro cloth. WOrks great with No streaks.

IMAG0591.jpg

Monty

Expert Expediter
To remover oily film, use a can of Coke .....

It will remove all the oil ... after all, it will disolve nails! (Well, it used to).

Be sure to flush the area well, no need to stain paint .. etc ..

But I sure like your idea, now could you show me how to reach ALL of the Sprinter windshield? :D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
To remover oily film, use a can of Coke .....

It will remove all the oil ... after all, it will disolve nails! (Well, it used to).

Be sure to flush the area well, no need to stain paint .. etc ..

But I sure like your idea, now could you show me how to reach ALL of the Sprinter windshield? :D

Grow a few inches and it is easy:p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like to use a Dobie sponge that I found in the mop section of Walmart. From using both products, the poofy ball as well as the Dobie I highly recommend the Dobie as it will last longer and it really nails the bug guts.

I have tried the high heels and it does not seem to help any I am still to short... The motor in the Cascadia does not have anything to stand on and I have not figured out how to clean this windshield.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not think they make high heels big enough to fit Bob's feet and if they did I believe he would be over 7' tall and would not need the squeegee on a stick.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure someone has invented it, but what about a telescoping squeegee that you can take with you, as not every fuel stop has the long pole ones.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
vinegar , just spray it on full strength, or dilute 50 % with water, either way, and if it does not work for u, ur rig or van will smell like pickles.:D vinegar.com

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sure someone has invented it, but what about a telescoping squeegee that you can take with you, as not every fuel stop has the long pole ones.

When I fuel up in front at Pilot's, they have an cement island in front of the pump that you can stand on, if you plan ahead and park properly, you can stand on that and get good access to the drivers side.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
for the outside, hydrogen peroxide and water, 50/50. spray, let soak, use scrubber if needed or my favorite, magic erasers and wipe clean with a cloth

for the inside, water and magic erasers. wipe with a clean cloth.

there really is and endless of use for these things.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Henry Albert talked to a driver who used 50% hydrogen peroxide and 50% rubbing alcohol. He was pretty impressed with how easy of a time this guy was having getting the bugs off and how streak free his windshield was.

If I could only figure out how to get on the DD13 motor to be able to try this out.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Linder: Gotta go has one of the little ladder thingies that you place on the steer tire - maybe that would work?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Shoot I wish I would have looked at what she had darn missed a great opportunity. I need to get a squeegee with a long stick that can be folded up. Many of the squeegees at the truck stops are really worse nasty and dirty.
This truck is really tall and to much "stuff" on the top of the motor that cannot be stood on. The M2 had very convenient braces that were perfect for reaching all areas of the windshield.