Asian carp fight gets boost

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Asian carp fight gets boost in Washington

11:56 AM, Mar. 3, 2011

By TODD SPANGLER
DETROIT FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFFFiled Under

WASHINGTON – Two Michigan members of Congress say legislation that would force the Army Corps of Engineers to come up with a plan to keep invasive Asian carp out of Lake Michigan in the next year-and-a-half has a good chance of passage, with Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin on board.

U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, a Democrat, held a news conference today on the legislation which she is writing along with U.S. Rep. Dave Camp, Midland Republican who will push the bill in the House.

Critics have complained that the Army’s five-year study into how to ensure Asian carp – a voracious species found in the Mississippi River and the Illinois River – is too long, with the health of the Great Lakes being threatened. Stabenow and Camp’s bill would require the Corps to begin work on a action plan for hydraulic separation between Chicago-area waterways and the lake immediately, with reports due six months and a year from enactment. The plan would have to be complete in 18 months.

“This is the only way that we’re going to guarantee we don’t see Asian carp going into Lake Michigan,” Stabenow said.

Both Stabenow and Camp have called for closing shipping locks around Chicago as a way to stop the spread of the carp, but Illinois legislators – including Durbin, a Democratic leader in the Senate – have successfully blocked those moves. This legislation does not include such a move, though Stabenow said she and Camp will continue to try to push closing the locks.

“It’s more than symbolic that Sen. Durbin from Illinois is on board,” Tim Eder, executive director of the Great Lakes Commission, said of the new legislation.

Stabenow said the problems involved in separating the waters from Chicago-area waterways can be solved and in the short-term, and that this legislation is intended to “light a fire” to get the Corps to move quickly than they had planned.

“It’s going to take them several years and we don’t have several years,” she said. “We need to get this done as quickly as possible.”

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wow we still are heading to h*ll in a hand-basket in this state, our senators are worried about the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and a fish?

Solution - promote gefilte fish exports and declare open season on all Asian carp with no license needed and no limits on the catch - with the stipulation that it is not a catch and release fish.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow we still are heading to h*ll in a hand-basket in this state, our senators are worried about the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and a fish?

Solution - promote gefilte fish exports and declare open season on all Asian carp with no license needed and no limits on the catch - with the stipulation that it is not a catch and release fish.

Gefilte fish ? :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, they use Asian carp for it. There is some company I think in Illinois or Wisconsin that process it and exports it to Israel and Russia.

No limit or seasons on ANY carp in Michigan, PA or any other state I lived in. NO catch and release requirements. Carp in the 4 "lower" Great Lakes are considered to not be safe to eat do to pollution. It is NOT legal to use them for food in the U. S.

I did not think, could be wrong, that the Asian carp is what the Jewish people use. I thought they used the European carp. Could be wrong on that one though. There are not that many people of the Jewish faith living in China.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FishAdvisory03_67354_7.pdf

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well change the d*mn law and allow people to eat them.

Yes they use Asian Carp. I read a good article on the subject and they use it, it is farmed carp but there isn't anything wrong with using great lakes carp.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well change the d*mn law and allow people to eat them.

Yes they use Asian Carp. I read a good article on the subject and they use it, it is farmed carp but there isn't anything wrong with using great lakes carp.

Farmed carp come from clean water. Great Lakes carp, because of their very high fat content, "collect" pollutants better than less fatty fish. They contain VERY high levels of PCB's and mercury.

They might use Asian carp now, it is not the original used by the Jewish people in Europe.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trust me on this, No asian carp is used.

Ask Moose, he will verify.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Sorry folks, i really do not know mach about where it came from ,but i LOVE eating this ,but only in very spacial occasions .
all i know is that the ones being sold in M.N are ridiculously expensive .and we normally buy online the ones coming from Israel .
my N.Y family also will only eat imports .you can't really get a good spice for it here anyway .

(i did not click on this tread til now, because i was thinking it must be another imports toy rant's or something...)

i really did not know that Jewish's can solve lake Michigan pollutions by eating more ... but hey ,' Michigane' in yedish translated to ' crazy ' ... :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ragman,
It was Asian Carp that this company used. I am trying to find the episode that featured the company and the process. They were claiming that the carp was used because of the competitive nature of the business, a lot of gefilte fish comes from China that is what they use there.

Layout, why eat any fish from the great polluted lakes then?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ragman,
It was Asian Carp that this company used. I am trying to find the episode that featured the company and the process. They were claiming that the carp was used because of the competitive nature of the business, a lot of gefilte fish comes from China that is what they use there.

Greg is correct
Israeli Tariff Burdens Supplier Of Gefilte Fish : NPR
So Sorry.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ragman,

Some of the less fatty fish are not as bad. Smaller fish are better. I know how to clean fish like perch and walleye to minimize the problems. Look at the guide I posted. I also don't eat them a lot, which is a REAL shame. Fish is good to eat and good for you. It is a crime what has been done to our Lakes. We should be ashamed of it.

I seldom, if ever, eat catfish, one of my favorites, anymore because they are really bad, like the carp. Too bad because I know one of the best catfish spots on all of Lake Erie. I can ALMOST promise that you would catch a ton of them every time I took you. It has been that good since I started fishing it in 1956. It is just as good today as it was back then.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ragman, no need to apologize.

Layout, You know that Asian Carp can be used for a lot of things, fertilizer, bio-fuel, throw at people you don't like. You don't have to eat them just get rid of them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ragman, no need to apologize.

Layout, You know that Asian Carp can be used for a lot of things, fertilizer, bio-fuel, throw at people you don't like. You don't have to eat them just get rid of them.

Bio-fuel would work. I don't think the fertilizer would. That would just put all that crud right back into the ground and lakes. I would LOVE to "toss" a few carp around at a few people, what a GREAT way to relieve stress!! :p

denny2010

Expert Expediter
hey there layoutshooter, around easter time here on lake saint helen (3 miles away) the catfish is very good....maybe one day you can come back up to stomping grounds and get some.....or i can send you pictures of me getting some...lol

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
hey there layoutshooter, around easter time here on lake saint helen (3 miles away) the catfish is very good....maybe one day you can come back up to stomping grounds and get some.....or i can send you pictures of me getting some...lol

I have never fished there. I used to hunt up that way. I bet the cats are good out of that cold water. The fishing is GREAT where I live, it is the eatin part that is not. You could sink a boat with cats around Lake Erie.