Sleeping across in a van?

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I'm 6'1" and fluffy. I slept very comfortably on a 30" crosswise bunk behind the seats in a Sprinter. I still miss that bunk. However I was awakened by Highway Star shaking my truck. I don't kow how anyone can shake a Sprinter that much. He must be stronger than he looks.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
East-West behind the seats on an inflatable mattress. The Chevy side doors have a ledge that's the right height for my feet to rest on, or my head if I want to lay that way. I'm about 6'1" and fluffy, too. Tried sleeping North-South, but it's easier to keep the heat or cool air up front by you if you block off the back of the van with a shower curtain and shrink the area you're trying to condition.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I couldn't see you while you were shaking the truck buuuuuut, if it wasn't strength it could have been mass. I thought someone had run into me and messed up my truck. Even then I was a little slow to look outside because you never know what you may experience, or who is out there, at the Dallas J.:D

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I got an old couch/bed from an friend from his old conversion van and have it mounted in my van behind the driver/passenger seats. when folded to a couch I can hold two pallets. When with one pallet or empty I can fold down the couch and have a decent bed to sleep on, and have storage under neath the seat. It works for me. My dad has a similar set up we did in his van except his bench does not fold flat. But you can stretch out and get a decent sleep on it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an issue with reflux so I sleep in a recliner in the house. In the van I have a folding cot similar to this one except mine has 5 positions for the head and the foot won't tilt down. I sleep front to back unless freight is in the way. For one skid 48x48x48 it doesn't matter I can still sleep normally. For two skids I have to go side to side. When I don't have freight in the way I use the second click up on the backrest. For side to side I have to use the third click up but it's still comfortable. and will just fit in "my" space with two skids.

Coleman - Converta Cot Portable Bed -

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we sleep lthwise with 1 or no skids. sideways we rotate in bed while driving with that load that must be deliv'd.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
LDB--I have reflux also and was thinking this kind of chair similar to yours. Its higher off the ground so the leg support can tuck under more like a reclining chair. That way you are not "In bed all the time". Used them camping many times.

Nice to have a reclining chair to watch tv, read a book and play on the computer. Couple of clicks and its off to bed.

Space Living La Chaise Reclining Chair #LC111 - Outdoor Chairs

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I to suffer from reflux but mine comes and goes a few times a year. Best thing I found to ease it is 2 zantac 75.

But I sleep on a Coleman foldable camp cot. I lay long wise when I have 1 or no pallet. I sleep on top of a sleeping bag and sleep in another and its pretty comfy. I just wish I could find a cot that would fit the width of the van that comes with an air mattress.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Sleep? What's that? I sometimes turn my eyes off while upright in the driver seat with the van in park, engine running. Usually never more than 30 minutes, quick recharge and I'm mobile again. Plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm...he runs illegal, doesn't sleep enough , next we will hear how he is getting 22 mpg at 75 mph...as Moot said, "Please don't take any of us with you when you go."

:eek:

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm...he runs illegal, doesn't sleep enough , next we will hear how he is getting 22 mpg at 75 mph...as Moot said, "Please don't take any of us with you when you go."

:eek:

I don't do anything illegal and I get 19 MPG at 55 MPH, 17 at 60.

Don't be jealous.... just because my van is always rolling with freight on board... :p

fired at you from my Droideka