Why would i want to show OOS

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, yeah. If you are unavailable for loads, and dispatch would be wasting their time calling you on a load you will be turning down, then you should put yourself Out of Service.

The reasons might be for vacation, truck repair, if you're sick, lots of reasons.

You have to be careful using it indiscriminately, like for sleeping or taking a shower or eating in a restaurant, as when you go OOS and then come back In-Service, you'll come back In-Service at the bottom of the board.

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
Well, yeah. If you are unavailable for loads, and dispatch would be wasting their time calling you on a load you will be turning down, then you should put yourself Out of Service.

The reasons might be for vacation, truck repair, if you're sick, lots of reasons.

You have to be careful using it indiscriminately, like for sleeping or taking a shower or eating in a restaurant, as when you go OOS and then come back In-Service, you'll come back In-Service at the bottom of the board.

At the bottom of the board? Where do you get this from? Are you a driver or dispatch or what? If you are Dispatch what system are you using? Well, I am using Sylectus, which is the most common one used in Expedite. Probably around 90%. And our drivers dont change positions on our board like that. It will have a list of trucks, in green, yellow, or blue. Green is in service, yellow is unconfirmed (You said you would be in service after a long vacation but havent called us yet so we are looking for loads for you but not committing to them until we hear from you), and blue is Out of service. This is for vacations, breakdowns, maintenance, etc. Now, Changing these statuses doesnt move a driver from one position to another, but simply just changes his color. But it gets a little more detailed. When A driver goes out of services for an EXACT amount of time, we can set his back in service time to automatically put him back in yellow, but he has to call to get it back in green. To be honest, it doesnt really matter any of this so long as you communicate with your dispatch team. Their methods are only to communicate with each other. If they said they are going to put you O.O.S. and you dont know why, whereas your not out of hours, or whatever, then you probably ****ed someone off or something. Sounds like you need to call your dispatch for clarification. No company works the same as another when it comes to things like this.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Bottom of the board is a term used to denote either a board position as with some carriers, or dwell time as with other carriers. It has to do with FIFO load offer positioning. The term "board" denotes an area or region where other trucks of the same carrier are located. If you go OOS for a week, then come back In-Service, you will rarely retain the same relative board position as before you went OOS. Those who have recently entered the area, or board, that you are on will have a higher position and will thus be offered a load before you are offered the load.

For example, lets' say you drive for Bubba's Expediting, and you come back In-Service in Armpit, AR. There is another truck from your carrier also in Armpit, but they've been sitting there for a day and a half, and are now parked right next to you in the parking lot of a truck stop. The next load that comes up, all things being equal insofar as either truck can haul the freight, the other truck will get the load offer first, because you are below them on the board due to outright board position or in-service dwell time.

As an experienced dispatcher who apparently deals with several carriers, you should already know all of this.

You should also know that Sylectus is used by a lot of expedite carriers, but it's hardly 90% of the expedite industry. The handful of carriers which are too large to be Alliance members make up a significant percentage of the expedite industry, far more than a measly 10%, that's for sure.

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
Bottom of the board is a term used to denote either a board position as with some carriers, or dwell time as with other carriers. It has to do with FIFO load offer positioning. The term "board" denotes an area or region where other trucks of the same carrier are located. If you go OOS for a week, then come back In-Service, you will rarely retain the same relative board position as before you went OOS. Those who have recently entered the area, or board, that you are on will have a higher position and will thus be offered a load before you are offered the load.

For example, lets' say you drive for Bubba's Expediting, and you come back In-Service in Armpit, AR. There is another truck from your carrier also in Armpit, but they've been sitting there for a day and a half, and are now parked right next to you in the parking lot of a truck stop. The next load that comes up, all things being equal insofar as either truck can haul the freight, the other truck will get the load offer first, because you are below them on the board due to outright board position or in-service dwell time.

As an experienced dispatcher who apparently deals with several carriers, you should already know all of this.

You should also know that Sylectus is used by a lot of expedite carriers, but it's hardly 90% of the expedite industry. The handful of carriers which are too large to be Alliance members make up a significant percentage of the expedite industry, far more than a measly 10%, that's for sure.

Again, I dont know where you get your information, but its not 100% correct. Next to the names of our drivers, there is to links. LL:0 and LA:20. This means Driver Mark's last load was 0 hours ago (he just dropped) and his last availability was 20 hours ago. These are just figures. But if we have a load picking up in Armpit, Ar, then we look at who is there, and who has been sitting the longest, regaurdless of whether they went o.o.s. or not. Unless they went o.o.s. for a reason like they cussed the dispatchers out or something. We try to base who gets what by who has been sitting the longest so nobody sits too long. If you have been told that by your dispatch, then they dont like you. Because that doesnt make sense to say "oh you went o.o.s. because you took a 10 hour break, so joey got this load even though he just dropped.". What kind of crap is that I would never drive for a company like that.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Again, I dont know where you get your information, but its not 100% correct.
I get my information from several sources. But nonetheless, it is 100% accurate. Is it accurate for all carriers and all situations? No, of course not, nothing is. But it's accurate for most carriers.

Next to the names of our drivers, there is to links. LL:0 and LA:20. This means Driver Mark's last load was 0 hours ago (he just dropped) and his last availability was 20 hours ago. These are just figures. But if we have a load picking up in Armpit, Ar, then we look at who is there, and who has been sitting the longest, regaurdless of whether they went o.o.s. or not. Unless they went o.o.s. for a reason like they cussed the dispatchers out or something. We try to base who gets what by who has been sitting the longest so nobody sits too long.
Mark delivers in Armpit on Monday and then goes OOS for truck repair. It takes a week to repair the truck. In the meantime, Gary delivers a load in Armpit on Friday. Mark comes back in service on the next Monday, three days after Gary has been sitting there. Now, maybe not with your carrier, but for most, Gary will show three days of dwell time and Mark will show a few hours of dwell time, and Gary will get the first load out of Armpit.

If you have been told that by your dispatch, then they dont like you.
My dispatch loves me.

Because that doesnt make sense to say "oh you went o.o.s. because you took a 10 hour break, so joey got this load even though he just dropped.". What kind of crap is that I would never drive for a company like that.
No, it doesn't make sense to say that. It also doesn't make sense to go OOS for a 10 hour break, and if a driver is stupid enough to actually go OOS because of a 10 hour break, then with most carriers he'll lose his dwell time. Maybe not yours, but with most he will.

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
Whether you guys know it or not, those O.O.S. settings are for the communication in the office, not the drivers. So its not up to the driver to go O.O.S. We put you out, because you cannot take a load until x time, or unknown. I dont want to see mark in green in Nashville, Tn. Find a load for him, get it, and then he turn it down because he is out of hours. I need to see him O.O.S. for 10 hours (it will have a timestamp for when he will be ready) so when I look for a load, its for a pickup after that time. But if other carriers are using a crappy system, then I guess they cant do that. All of the carriers I have ever dealt with use this system. Who do you drive for? I can tell you if they do or not! They would be on my Alliance list. IF its any of the company's advertising on here, they use it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I remember rightly and I might get this backwards...LL time will not reset if you go OOS but the LA time will reset to when truck goes back into service....

LL= Last load

LA= Last availability

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whether you guys know it or not, those O.O.S. settings are for the communication in the office, not the drivers. So its not up to the driver to go O.O.S. We put you out, because you cannot take a load until x time, or unknown. I dont want to see mark in green in Nashville, Tn. Find a load for him, get it, and then he turn it down because he is out of hours. I need to see him O.O.S. for 10 hours (it will have a timestamp for when he will be ready) so when I look for a load, its for a pickup after that time. But if other carriers are using a crappy system, then I guess they cant do that. All of the carriers I have ever dealt with use this system. Who do you drive for? I can tell you if they do or not! They would be on my Alliance list. IF its any of the company's advertising on here, they use it.

Wrong..not all that advertise are part of the Alliance...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whether you guys know it or not, those O.O.S. settings are for the communication in the office, not the drivers. So its not up to the driver to go O.O.S.

Of course it's up to me to go OOS. Are you kidding? If my truck is in the shop and it may be a couple of days because of waiting for parts, I'd better go OOS, cause I wouldn't be very popular if headquarters called and told me to start rolling on a hot pick-up and I'm not gonna have a truck 'til the day after tomorrow.

I find it bizarre that you would think everyone does things the same way as you, even if they have the same software.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Would i only do this if i was going to be taking time off?

.... The reasons might be for vacation, truck repair, if you're sick, lots of reasons....

Don't forget another reason.. if you are going to be enjoying an adult beverage or two, as you could be called in to do a pee test at any time you are in service.

Whether you guys know it or not, those O.O.S. settings are for the communication in the office, not the drivers. So its not up to the driver to go O.O.S. We put you out, because you cannot take a load until x time, or unknown. ........ But if other carriers are using a crappy system, then I guess they cant do that.....

Dispatcher03 thank you for providing some dandy entertainment for many readers on EO. Perhaps in order not to embarrass yourself further, you might benefit from doing some reading of the EO archives in an effort to educate yourself further than the narrow vision of your own employer, instead of proclaiming to know it all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I find it bizarre that you would think everyone does things the same way as you, even if they have the same software.
That's a point I'm hinting at, here and in another thread. One of the biggest mistakes someone can make is to take their own limited experience and think it applies elsewhere, especially on a wide scale. There are many carriers who use the Sylectus software and have very different methods of using it, not to mention very different rules and policies from other carriers.

True enough the OOS status is primarily for communication in the office, as like Highway said it would waste a lot of time if dispatch didn't know a truck was OOS. But with most carriers, OOS means just that, Out Of Service. It doesn't mean a pretty yellow in-service-but-unconfirmed, or he's sleeping and will return in a few hours, it means the truck is a very blue unavailable until further notice and for all intents and purposes doesn't even exist at the moment, and has no board position or dwell time. If someone goes OOS for a month, there is no way they are going to be able to come back in-service and get the first load out, ahead of others who have been sitting there for a day or three. Not at most carriers. At most carriers he'll be at the bottom of the list, bottom of the board, the one with the least amount of dwell time.

There are essentially two types of status for a truck: In-Service and Out-Of-Service. In-Service is available to be dispatched right now, and Out-Of-Service is unavailable to be dispatched for any reason. There are some carriers who have different subtypes of these, like the yellow unconfirmed in-service, or like in-service but sleeping for 10 hours or a 34 hours restart, where you don't lose dwell time but are effectively OOS. There are several ways in which different carriers handle things, even those who use the same exact software.

As for who I drive for, they are an advertiser on this site, but they are not a part of the Alliance, and I guarantee you they are not using a crappy system. There are several aspects about their system, in fact, that other carriers should probably implement, as it eliminates a lot of miscommunication and guesswork between driver and dispatch.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't forget another reason.. if you are going to be enjoying an adult beverage or two, as you could be called in to do a pee test at any time you are in service.
Good point. I don't drink so I forget about that one, but it's burned a lot of people.

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
That's a point I'm hinting at, here and in another thread. One of the biggest mistakes someone can make is to take their own limited experience and think it applies elsewhere, especially on a wide scale. There are many carriers who use the Sylectus software and have very different methods of using it, not to mention very different rules and policies from other carriers.

True enough the OOS status is primarily for communication in the office, as like Highway said it would waste a lot of time if dispatch didn't know a truck was OOS. But with most carriers, OOS means just that, Out Of Service. It doesn't mean a pretty yellow in-service-but-unconfirmed, or he's sleeping and will return in a few hours, it means the truck is a very blue unavailable until further notice and for all intents and purposes doesn't even exist at the moment, and has no board position or dwell time. If someone goes OOS for a month, there is no way they are going to be able to come back in-service and get the first load out, ahead of others who have been sitting there for a day or three. Not at most carriers. At most carriers he'll be at the bottom of the list, bottom of the board, the one with the least amount of dwell time.

There are essentially two types of status for a truck: In-Service and Out-Of-Service. In-Service is available to be dispatched right now, and Out-Of-Service is unavailable to be dispatched for any reason. There are some carriers who have different subtypes of these, like the yellow unconfirmed in-service, or like in-service but sleeping for 10 hours or a 34 hours restart, where you don't lose dwell time but are effectively OOS. There are several ways in which different carriers handle things, even those who use the same exact software.

As for who I drive for, they are an advertiser on this site, but they are not a part of the Alliance, and I guarantee you they are not using a crappy system. There are several aspects about their system, in fact, that other carriers should probably implement, as it eliminates a lot of miscommunication and guesswork between driver and dispatch.

Fedex is not part of the Alliance either I believe...

Like what turtle? I am not sure what else we COULD do to communicate with other dispatchers. We have a notes board for a load you are on, and we have a notes board for the truck so we can put why went o.o.s. or when needs to go o.o.s. or refer to a file number where a phone conversation needs to be heard.

I havent noticed a FedEx ad on here, but I have noticed All State, Try Hours, T&K, and a few others.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
d03 your ranting and comments might make a difference IF you just told us who you work for. it is common knowledge who many of the drivers here drive for. you simply cannot compare your 35 truck fleet to fleets 10 or more times larger. everyones experience is different company to company.

with the exception of your introduction post most everything else has been a defensive copy paste attack towards folks who do not agree with you or have had different experiences.

does it matter if you have not seen a fed ex ad here? they have been here longer than you have. i have seen their ads for at least 4 years. they advertise in expedite now also.

you questioned davekc about panther. wellllll he was on the driver council. what does that tell you?

you really need to step back and ask if you are representing your company well in the matters you speak about.

you also said you would share your expediting secrets with us. well go ahead tell us something.

i'm goin' to bed.
g'nite.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
*sigh* Must be nice to go OOS and not lose board position. Get stuff done, then get the next run. :-D

Dispacher.... Im sure all do it dif, but at Fed we get 2 hrs OOS ... after that, Bottomsville.... as 2 hrs, 5 min.... you just went from 1st to 8th out.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
*sigh* Must be nice to go OOS and not lose board position. Get stuff done, then get the next run. :-D

Dispacher.... Im sure all do it dif, but at Fed we get 2 hrs OOS ... after that, Bottomsville.... as 2 hrs, 5 min.... you just went from 1st to 8th out.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I am having so much trouble understanding why a company thinks that is right. Here is the way I see it. If you went o.o.s. for a breakdown, and spent 1200 on a head gasket (minimally) and you have been sitting there for 1 day longer than another guy, Im going to book the load for you. You need the money technically from what I can see more than that next guy, and you havent had a load in the longest. If I did it the other way, then your paycheck would be smaller than the next guy's and you had repairs to do. Thats enough to make a driver quit the biz. I do wish it worked that way with all companies. But yeah as I have said, the drivers dont change positions on the board, they just change colors. And when I do a closest unit search by city for a truck, my trucks will show up, and then I just pop over to the othe screen to see who has been there the longest. Doesnt really matter what reason. Unless they went o.o.s. because they were rude or had a violation of some sort.

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
d03 your ranting and comments might make a difference IF you just told us who you work for. it is common knowledge who many of the drivers here drive for. you simply cannot compare your 35 truck fleet to fleets 10 or more times larger. everyones experience is different company to company.

with the exception of your introduction post most everything else has been a defensive copy paste attack towards folks who do not agree with you or have had different experiences.

does it matter if you have not seen a fed ex ad here? they have been here longer than you have. i have seen their ads for at least 4 years. they advertise in expedite now also.

you questioned davekc about panther. wellllll he was on the driver council. what does that tell you?

you really need to step back and ask if you are representing your company well in the matters you speak about.

you also said you would share your expediting secrets with us. well go ahead tell us something.

i'm goin' to bed.
g'nite.

about davekc and panther, I could care less. Am I representing my company well? Well am I doing any driver recruiting here? No. Am I telling you what company I work for? No. Do I need to step back? Depends on where I am standing... Can you tell me where you think that is? I have not attacked anybody. I have been attacked, and defended without discretion. I see what you mean about "Comparing my 35 truck fleet to other carriers with 10 times as much". So I will not further do so, as I have opened my mind on here more than I should have with that one. But I still hate Panther. BTW, Yes I do know that drivers can get their own loads from Panther. Yes I know what their rates are. My hate for them is just too complicate to explain on here, and it is not just simply based on their rates and load board. Has a lot more to do with their internal office. But lets lay that to rest we all know where I stand on that. But as far as other carriers, I can name atleast 4 other carriers that are great carriers and handle their drivers greatly, and the irony is that they have less than 60 trucks. So I guess my standing from when I was a driver, is I would want to be with a company that had less than 60 trucks or so, but wanting to grow obviously. I would like to maintain a healthy and somewhat personal relationship with my dispatchers.