Why would i want to show OOS

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Dispatch...

To put this bluntly... if you only have 50 trucks... the odds are great that you will rarely have more than a couple trucks in one city right? So... keeping board position really wouldn't matter.... right?

However, if there are 5 or 10 of that size unit there, and 5 or 10 more of one size up... (also eligible)board position becomes more important.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
Dispatch...

To put this bluntly... if you only have 50 trucks... the odds are great that you will rarely have more than a couple trucks in one city right? So... keeping board position really wouldn't matter.... right?

However, if there are 5 or 10 of that size unit there, and 5 or 10 more of one size up... (also eligible)board position becomes more important.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

It depends on the company and how your trucks are staffed. Like for instance, I have 1 guy that his his nephew, son, and son's friend on with us all live out of Panama City. They all love Laredo loads. So a lot of times, They find themselves, like right now, in the same city together. They tend to go o.o.s. together sometimes during holidays, but most of the time, they are on a load dropping 10 miles apart, but one will be ahead of the other and so on and so forth. You get the picture. Your assuming because its a small company that our trucks are spread throughout. Incorrect. Its more regional than anything. We try not to be, but it is where our customers are set up right now that makes that happen. So more often than you would know, we would have 5 or 6 trucks in the same city.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
well it sounds like you are using the sylectus program for everything there and the powers that be that run the company simply want your dispatch procedures to be this way, which is fine. most if not all of the others carriers do not look at board position that way. i use that term loosely cause not all have boards or lay over areas. most other carriers do go by a first in first out system. it is as cut an dry as either in or out of service with a few exceptions as the fed has and tstate use to let you have some time. i am sure some others have their gimme time also but it has a limit. doesnt really matter why you are oos. you dont come back in service and get a load ahead of someone. maybe, and this has happened before, you get a call and dispatch explains and asks if you mind because of circumstances. if i am setting with another and ahead of them and they have a need and i am offered a load that would help them out then yes. there is no way im taking it from them. [ in sc. first up #2 trk next to me needing to be in flint, mi the next evening. call and give me a load to flint. i called and gave the load to him.] what kind of person would i have been to have taken that load. with all that aside though, if you feel the guy with the repair needs the load worse then the true #1 truck pick up the phone and call and explain dont just dispatch the load. that can cause alot of unnecessary complaining and its the rite thing to do. carriers do owe o/o and drivers explanations when things out of the ordinary go on. i have not been in expediting as long as some but i have been here going on 11 years. i have been with a few carriers and have friends at about 75% of the ones on EO. and they all for the most part work on this system of first in first out. just cause someone had a 1200 $ repair or whatever you cant assume he needs it worse. you never know what the others circumstances are. i could be down for a repair for 3 days and be better able to wait than some people i know who may have ran all week. so could alot of other seasoned veteran expediters on EO. just a guess, but a few, ovm, teamcaffee, chef, nightcreacher, greg, teamdjw, the shelled one, dave/linda, just to name a few. im sure there are more and they can chime in. some, i dont personally know or have never met. this is just an observation from reading posts. so the theory of one needing doesnt always work.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
reason to go oos.....fixing the trailer lights and you have the wrong tools and no expertise. good to let the shop crew do the work.

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
I am someone else. And you are someone else. Your statement doesnt make sense:confused:... unless you are implying that I have multiple accounts on here... which I dont.;)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Here is the way I see it. If you went o.o.s. for a breakdown, and spent 1200 on a head gasket (minimally) and you have been sitting there for 1 day longer than another guy, Im going to book the load for you. You need the money technically from what I can see more than that next guy, and you havent had a load in the longest. If I did it the other way, then your paycheck would be smaller than the next guy's and you had repairs to do. Thats enough to make a driver quit the biz.

This I have a problem with. If the company has a first in first out policy, it is wrong for a dispatcher to be moving one driver in front of the other just because he has information that the driver he's "favoriting" just spent $1200 on a repair bill.

What if that other driver you so clearly disrespected is one missed payment away from having his truck repo'd? What about one missed court ordered child support payment away from having a warrant issued? Or even one missed payment away from having his wife and kids evicted from their domicile? He could be sitting there thinking "Good, I'm next up, this next run will sure help a lot" and sees this co-driver show up at the same TS stop he's at. They get to talking, driver who just showed up tells story about just spending $1200 on repairs and has been OOS for the last day or two. Now, first driver, who hasn't missed a load in 9 weeks, suddenly sees second driver that just showed up get a load within an hour after he shows up and first driver clearly knows that he was "first out". Do you think dispatch is NOT going to be getting a call from an irate driver??? Do you think irate driver is NOT going to be weighing his odds on whether to switch carriers, or "quit the biz"???

You have yet to name the company you're working for, even after several requests. My opinion, it's best you do not. Especially after publishing how it is you, as a "dispatcher", are making your own choices on who gets what load and when they get that load.

I'm not "in the game" right now, but I do not like what you said above and clearly see it is not right to be making decisions like that on your own.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Would i only do this if i was going to be taking time off?

If your in service,your company might be useing your truck to accept loads,for that area.If your the only truck within 100 miles of the load,the company isn't looking good when they tell the customer they can't make the pick up on time,cause now your turning the loads down since your not available.This will also give you a bad reputation,for turnng to many loads down.

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
. Their methods are only to communicate with each other. If they said they are going to put you O.O.S. and you dont know why, whereas your not out of hours, or whatever, then you probably ****ed someone off or something. Sounds like you need to call your dispatch for clarification. .

I've been working for several expediting companies, and everyone was doing the same thing when I was going OOS, I mean going to the bottom of the list. They won't do that to you if you're the only one in the area, or if you drive for a small carrier. Oh, even small tiny carriers do that from time to time. It happened to me last December, and it wasn't because I requested OOS, but as revenge because I refused to do a short run. I usually don't turn down any run, but that day the guy was trying to send me from home to a place where he had already two more vans. Beside the fact that those vans were waiting for days in that area, it was Friday afternoon, and for 70 cents/mi I wasn't that crazy to take the run (300 mi), do the delivery, then come back home. You know what he did to me? He put me OOS later that night, then he dispatched one of those two vans in my town for a 1600 miles run. Unfortunately for him (the dispatch/owner of the co.), the one that he dispatched happened to be my friend, and of course he told me the whole story. At least I knew who I'm "dancing" with...