duramax vs ford 7.3 liter

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
desdes... I just added a 3rd Ford E350 w/7.3 Powerstroke to my small fleet of vans. Their longevity and reliability are well established. The Duramax engines may be equally good, but having no personal experience with them, I can't speak to their merits.

Last edited:

DougTravels

Not a Member
My 05, Chevy 6500 has a duramax. So far real good 350,000 miles and it still makes the 12,000 mile oil change duration with no added oil.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i think the big difference is that the d max was successfully up dated over the years and the 7.3 was the pinnacle of ps diesels. having said that check in at the gm diesel forum

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

or

Chevy and GMC Duramax Forum

again having said that the d max does not come with the allison tranny in the vans. there is not enough room for it to fit. i have been told that the tranny for the dmax is very good. but search away to your hearts content.

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
Duramax anytime anyplace

Ford 7.3 NO way

just look around, if you just look at price then get the ford

if you want a hard working never say die unit then GMC Duramax is the only way to go

2003, SD2500, 4X4, Quad Cab, 200,000 + miles
2004, SD2500, 4X4, Quad Cab, 100,000 + miles
2004 SD2500, extcab 75,000 + miles
all pulling 30 trailers:D

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
2003 was the last year for the 7.3. It was an option for people between the 6.0 and 7.3, most people went with the 6.0 because they were thinking it was going to be the next best thing.

guido4475

Not a Member
I must say that this is my first 7.3, and I love it.17.6 mpg in the city.It does run strong, with 180,000 on it. uses no oil.My brother and everyone else strongly advised me NOT to get the 6.0.So that is why I went with the 03 model.My van has the 4:10 gear ratio,but I wonder how much better the 3:55 option is as far as fuel mileage.There was also an option for a 55 gal fuel tank in 03, but havent seen one yet.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
2003 7.3L, 130,000 miles, no problems. Super Chip= 19 mpg

Yep 152k on my 03 7.3 and she runs like a champ knock on wood and I had a super chips got around 17 pulling 18' trailer and then changed to bully dog getting 18 running no trailer and 80 to 90 mph runs when I run so not to bad.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I think the maintance on the max is alot more the the 7.3,the biggest plus is no egr valve [not sure about cooler] on the 7.3.I had 2 7.3's with 3.55 rear ends and 19 mpg hwy was about avg.I'm gonna guess the max has a egr value and cooler,there may be some aftermarket companys making the filter,i would find out what they cost and the cost of a tuner.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
The bullydog tuner I have I got lucky and paid $200 it will do dodge, ma, and powerstroke 7.3 / 6.0 it is a usb so I can connect to my pc and get updates for it. the retail price for this tuner is like $800 so I did real good. oh yeah best part I can do 3 different trucks at the same time with no limit of vin locks in the unit.

I just regret not buying the diablo also the guy had for $200 that day. LOL

I think the maintance on the max is alot more the the 7.3,the biggest plus is no egr valve [not sure about cooler] on the 7.3.I had 2 7.3's with 3.55 rear ends and 19 mpg hwy was about avg.I'm gonna guess the max has a egr value and cooler,there may be some aftermarket companys making the filter,i would find out what they cost and the cost of a tuner.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
just a little FYI, if you are driving the 7.3 at high speeds with the ecm maxed out, you may be surprised that the engine may not last long - you may get 500k out of it but may end up with a 300k motor.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The Duramax is made by Iszu (sp) not by GM. I have two 7.3's a 1999 F 250 super duty PU with a little over 300,00 miles & a 2002 E 350 with under 250,000 miles no problems with either one.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The Duramax is made in Loraine Ohio at the Dmax plant which is owned by both GM and Isuzu. The engine was designed by Isuzu for the same reasons that the 7.3 was designed and built by Navistar for Ford.

Navistar owns MWM International in Brazil which is formally Deutz AG of Brazil. They make a very good 2.8 4 cylinder diesel that we should have here.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
just a little FYI, if you are driving the 7.3 at high speeds with the ecm maxed out, you may be surprised that the engine may not last long - you may get 500k out of it but may end up with a 300k motor.

I don't max out the ecm with the softs. I run at econo / tow safe. And I only plan on running this truck for 5 more months at which time I will be selling it and buying either a straight truck or a semi truck / trailer.