"Touchdown Jesus" Burns....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Well I feel better that our articles and pics are different and I'll add this youtube video of it actually burning.

Two of my kids live in that area so you can imagine that there's quite a stir about it this morning.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK.

First our in-house expert researcher/successful millionaire expediter RV'er and now you two?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even though it was constructed of plastic foam and fiberglass, it was make to look as solid as a rock, for rock solid faith, just like the name of the church, the Solid Rock Church. Whoops. You can't make this stuff up.

There are just too many jokes to pick just one, I'm tellin' ya.

Every time I drove by there I wondered why a church would have a statue of Zeus out there. Or maybe it was Poseidon, since it's coming out of the water. So, it was Touchdown Jesus, eh? Being a Bengals fan, that explains why I never made the connection to a touchdown. :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
imagine if there had been a big "paper mache" volley ball hanging in the air.....he would have been a "setter"....:D

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
For all the jokes about it (it was used in MANY O-H-I-O pics :) )... it did make people talk, and for that... while not a national landmark or anything.. it was a local landmark, and it's sad to see it burned.

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Deuteronomy 4:23-24
Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee. For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

That, or God is a lactose intolerant God, and Big Butter Jesus just didn't sit right.

I only hope that instead of taking another quarter of a million dollars or so and rebuilding something so big and gaudy and ugly and fake on a self-promotion that they'll take that money and put it to some actual good use, like feeding the hungry or something.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Turtle wrote:

I only hope that instead of taking another quarter of a million dollars or so and rebuilding something so big and gaudy and ugly and fake on a self-promotion that they'll take that money and put it to some actual good use, like feeding the hungry or something.

Church will rebuild large Jesus statue, gets calls from around the world

Church will rebuild large Jesus statue, gets calls from around the world

MONROE — Solid Rock Church officials said today they plan to have the iconic King of Kings statue rebuilt starting this summer after it was destroyed by fire caused by a lightning strike late Monday night, June 14.

Monroe Fire Chief Mark Neu said Monroe church officials have been getting calls from across the United States and as far away as China.

“People all across the world have looked at this,” he said.

Neu said damages to the statue and to the church’s nearby Lawrence Bishop Music Theater are estimated at $700,000.

Local news just said that donations are coming in from all over the country and from other countries also....

You can finish reading the complete article at the link above.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
“People all across the world have looked at this,” he said.

Obviously, they haven't had to drive by it.

“I know that these people here are devastated by this loss, but they will pick up, move on and they’ll build this back, and move on and continue doing what they do,” he said.

Devastated? Really? Devastated? It's a fiberglass and Styrofoam Jesus, fer Christ's sake.

“The giant Jesus’ right hand is on fire, is it supposed to be that way?” one 911 caller asked the dispatcher. <snicker>

In 2007, a bolt blasted the 33-foot Jesus statue at Mother Cabrini Shrine in Golden, Colo. One of Jesus's arms just fell right off.

In 2008, lightning singed the fingers and eyebrows of Christ the Redeemer, the 130-foot Jesus statue that stands over Rio de Janeiro.

Actor James Caviezel was struck by lightning in 2003 while filming Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." He was playing Jesus.

See? Coincidence really does exist. :D

We can always count on lightening strikes to engage the what-does-it-mean section of the brain. Pat Robertson divined that the meaning of Hurricane Katrina was punishment for abortion, and the Haitian earthquake as punishment for an historic pact with the Devil. He has declined to interpret the significance of the lightning strike of Touchdown Jesus. I'm leaning towards blaming a certain Toledo-based expediting company.

Fortunately, Darlene Bishop, co-pastor of Solid Rock Church has provided the significance of the lightening strike that incinerated Giant Jesus - "It's just some fiberglass."

Hey, the National Weather Service's Lightning Safety Week starts Sunday! Soooo, click the link, read the information, do what it says, save your life. God works in mysterious ways.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
For all the jokes about it (it was used in MANY O-H-I-O pics :) )... it did make people talk, and for that... while not a national landmark or anything.. it was a local landmark, and it's sad to see it burned.

Dale

Being a gross violation of the second commandment, I'm quite happy to see it gone.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Deuteronomy 4:23-24
Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee. For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

That, or God is a lactose intolerant God, and Big Butter Jesus just didn't sit right.

Hey, me and Turtle agree! Mark this date on the calendar, or something.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
After they rebuild it, instead of calling it "Touchdown Jesus" or whatever, maybe they should call it "What second commandment? Jesus"

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Maybe the coincidence was that the powers that be were trying to add a lightning bolt to a passing semi...He wants to see lightning bolts on all DOT vehicles...unfortunately he must have sneezed and missed.....LOL!!!