scoring brownie points in michigan

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No problem here. If you think he lied say so...don't beat around the bush...

I said I thought it odd, and explained why: LEOs are taught to avoid potential liability, not invite it by asking a passerby to move a privately owned vehicle - just doesn't sound right to me.
And I can't understand why the OP would have stopped in the first place.....if a LEO doesn't want to talk to me, I'm outta there!
Reposting my sigline didn't strike me as a compliment, though. :confused:

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
How is having empty beer cans in Michigan illegal?? I throw empties on my floor board (personal truck) when Im going to the store, to return them. It is illegal to have an open container in a vehicle. Which is an unseald container that has alcohol in it. So to say the drunk could say that they were planted or the "crime scene" was tampered is just ignorant. The empties are not evidence, the vehicle is not a crime scene. The crime "scene" is the public roadway. The one all of us drivers use all the time. The evidence is the person's BAC. Ive done numerous things to help cops out. I wouldnt of moved the vehicle though, especially with a urine soaked seat. Everything else, though, was what is called a "good deed"
I'm just sayin......

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How is having empty beer cans in Michigan illegal??

By the letter of the law, it is illegal in Mich. I asked at the SOS how that can be when we have returnable containers. I was told that officers can make a judgment call on it. If it's obvious you're returning them, no problem. If it appears you're drinking, there's a problem.

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
So yeah basically if yer drunk, (again body as evidence) it could be an issue for you. If you're sober then the cop would use a judgement call. Good judgement call.........theres a novel concept. I'm just sayin

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The original post; "Scoring Brownie Points In Michigan" reads very much like the April 2006 Reader's Digest, "Drama In Real Life: Attaining Attaboys In Alabama." Or maybe it was "I'm Joe's Spleen."

If it's obvious you're returning them, no problem. If it appears you're drinking, there's a problem.

Gotta drink em before you can return em.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I agree, if someone is having a heart attack ....

first of all , if someone interpenetrate my comment as a personal attack of some kind ,then i am sorry for that , this is not what i meant .

now , Bou't that Dakota dude...(i know you have thick skin)
unfortunately , we make it too EZ to get into this industry , without the need for any significant training , and here we see the results , regardless of driving experience .

a hart attack , or an accident is an emergency ,and should be address properly.

a drunk driver is not an Emergency , it is an Hazard ,
and should handle just like any other hazard on the road .
to avoid the Hazard becoming an Emergency .
parking a car on a Fri. night at the side of an Interstate is an Emergency . (just ask that van on I-65 in Indiana)

when facing a road HAZARD ,
the professional driver need to protect himself , his rig , his cargo , and if all possible alert others of the hazard .
he can do that by practicing the " SMITH system "
Aim High in steering .
Make shure they see you .
Leave yourfelf an out.
keep your Eyes moving .
and get the big picture .
a drunk driver can become aggressive ,and esculate to a road rage .
there for the professional driver need also to :
avoid eye contact .
avoid comunicating .
keep a safe distance .
and never come to a complete stop . (that will make him a target)

all hwy accidents are a result of at least one driver involved, not following at least one of the Smith systems practices .

a professional driver would have slow down to the right ,let the drunk and the trooper go by , and be proud of doing a good job .
using the CMV as a weapon to block another vehicle ? - illegal ,aggressive, dangerous ,and should get one to hang the keys.

looks like in the OS , the drunk was the only one that did what he was expected to do ...

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
People - all legal considerations aside, there was URINE on the seat!
As somebody else mentioned, who knows what else you'd encounter there (needle stick,etc).

I'd avoid just leaving empty beer cans rolling around on the floorboards---seems like asking for trouble. Ours always end up in the back of the pickup or trunk of the car in a plastic tote.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many of the responses in this thread leave me shaking my head. It is so easy to find a reason not to get involved than to get involved. Some people here have even proven that point by listing some of those reasons or wanting to define the situation creating yet another reason to sit on the sidelines.

Getting involved takes little thought it is a reaction and human nature to do the right thing. It is against human nature not to and that is why we have to first go through the thought process of I should not get involved because .......

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Many of the responses in this thread leave me shaking my head. It is so easy to find a reason not to get involved than to get involved. Some people here have even proven that point by listing some of those reasons or wanting to define the situation creating yet another reason to sit on the sidelines.

Getting involved takes little thought it is a reaction and human nature to do the right thing. It is against human nature not to and that is why we have to first go through the thought process of I should not get involved because .......
Xiggi: the time to get involved is when someone is [or appears to be] in distress. In that situation, I have stopped, every time - but this didn't qualify. When there's a LEO onsite, I assume he's got it under control, and I move on if not asked for assistance.
Just a few weeks ago, I stopped [to the annoyance of my daughter following my truck in her car] to ask a young lady if she was ok, or needed help, as she was sitting in a car that was sideways in a turn lane, as if she'd been hit. She said help was enroute, so we moved on, but I HAD to stop to ask, because it was the right thing to do.
Just don't see where stopping was indicated in the OP's story, is all I'm sayin.

Rhodes101

Not a Member
I am still not sure exactly what happened. It appears that the guy stopped in the lane of travel rather than pulling over. Trying to help or not, I would never stop in a lane of travel if I could pull off. If that is what he did he could have actually been ticketed.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was driving on I-69 when i saw the dreaded antique red light come on. Fortunately he was not after me, but the guy behind me. The van would not pull over for the trooper so I slowed down and the trooper got closer to the van he was trying to pull over. i stopped and the trooper got right in behind the van he was trying to pull over. It turned out the person in the van was a drunk driver and didn't even know he was being pulled. The trooper asked me to move the drunks vehicle off the road and as i got in to do so, there were beer cans all over the passenger seat and the drivers seat was soaked w/ urine as he didnt even know he wet himself. The trooper was very appreciative of my help and thanked me and shook hands.

Okay everyone...Re-read the post. Hellbound explains it very well.

HB- don't let the Diarrhea of the finger tips keep you from posting. Some on here just....well, you see by reading some post.

Rhodes101

Not a Member
I have reread it several times. I still am assuming that he stopped in the lane of travel and did not pull over.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the way I read it.
Same here! The guy in the Reader's Digest article: "Drama In Real Life" received a commendation from the Southern Alabama Police Society. I sure hope Hellbound gets recognized by the Eastern and North Eastern Michigan Alliance for his heroic deeds.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Umm.

Excuse me.

Where did Hellbound go?:confused:

Did anyone else notice that he wandered off in the middle of all this discussion?

With only 2 posts in 4 years it could be a very long time before we hear . . . . "the rest of the story"

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With only 2 posts in 4 years it could be a very long time before we hear . . . . "the rest of the story"

I'm working with Hellbound on a story about the time a LEO asked him to back out a plane that got stuck in the World Trade Center tower. This happened on or about September 11, 2001. Hellbound will be posting the story later this year or early next year.

Please be patient!