scoring brownie points in michigan

hellbound_66

Seasoned Expediter
I was driving on I-69 when i saw the dreaded antique red light come on. Fortunately he was not after me, but the guy behind me. The van would not pull over for the trooper so I slowed down and the trooper got closer to the van he was trying to pull over. i stopped and the trooper got right in behind the van he was trying to pull over. It turned out the person in the van was a drunk driver and didn't even know he was being pulled. The trooper asked me to move the drunks vehicle off the road and as i got in to do so, there were beer cans all over the passenger seat and the drivers seat was soaked w/ urine as he didnt even know he wet himself. The trooper was very appreciative of my help and thanked me and shook hands.

moose

Veteran Expediter
With only 2 posts in 4 years , it's hard to tell if you are an Expediter or not . where you driving your own vehicle ?or someone else ? was there freight inside ?

I can tell you that : consider your self very lucky !

this is not you job
& you are not trained to deal with drunk drivers ,
if something wold have gone south ? , would your employer / carrier/ shipper / insurance ... be appreciated of your actions ?

an expediter job is to deliver the freight from point A to point B ,without any incident along the way.

not to mention the bad actions taken by the Trooper !

Brisco

Expert Expediter
With only 2 posts in 4 years , it's hard to tell if you are an Expediter or not . where you driving your own vehicle ?or someone else ? was there freight inside ?

this is not you job
if something wold have gone south ? , would your employer / carrier/ shipper / insurance ... be appreciated of your actions ?

an expediter job is to deliver the freight from point A to point B ,without any incident along the way.

Uncalled for.........

Useless...........

Worthless post.

MYOB

I'd also like to add, from a previous Law enforcer, Thank You for the assistance Hellbound.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Uncalled for.........

Useless...........

Worthless post.
I beg to differ .... Moose raises some legitimate, valid concerns - and points out another possible way to look at things.

Of course, you're free to comment however you wish, but it seems to me like you might want to try practicing what you preach ...... :rolleyes:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

this is not you job

Part of the problem in this world today. People do not get involved because ....... you fill in the blank. I suppose if some lady is getting molested or someone is having a medical emergency you should not get involved because your job is to deliver freight and your not trained to properly handle the situation.. I call bull...., I suppose a person can always find an excuse to not get involved if that is what they really want.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Part of the problem in this world today. People do not get involved because ....... you fill in the blank. I suppose if some lady is getting molested or someone is having a medical emergency you should not get involved because your job is to deliver freight and your not trained to properly handle the situation.. I call bull...., I suppose a person can always find an excuse to not get involved if that is what they really want.

I agree, if someone is having a heart attack would you just stand there and state "I'm not a doctor" You would help the person with a defribrillator, CPR or whatever means possible, hopefully. We need more people who are willing to help out not less.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
First, I'm wondering why anyone would stop for an officer that has stopped some other vehicle - I sure wouldn't.
Next, I'm having trouble believing that any LEO would ask a passerby to move a vehicle [except perhaps in an emergency], because the potential for liability may not be great, but it does exist.
Last, I have some experience with drunks, and they can get combative in a heartbeat! Another potential liability, which LEOs are trained to avoid.
Sounds odd to me, too.

guido4475

Not a Member
What a bunch of hypocites. Why is everyone so **** quick to judge others on here?You should all be ashamed of yourselves,really.The man does a good deed and gets slammed by everyone for it.

Several times in the past I have been at an accident scene and after making sure everyone was ok, after calling 911, I sometimes would direct traffic until the lawman got there, and when he did, he asked me to continue until backup arrived.Why is what he posted so **** hard to believe? No wonder why some members don't post here any more, let alone hellbound in the past 2 years.

sevenerb

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My sentiments exactly Guido, with all experts [ex=has been, sperts= drips under pressure] rants, it is not worth it. No offense intended.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Law and Order is the responsibility of every citizen where possible...

I've watched police videos of truckers throwing up rolling roadblocks to slow a high speed chase many times...had they not gotten involved innocent people may have been killed if they had not sacrificed their trucks...

Isn't one of our nic names...Heroes of the Highway?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
NO F****** WAY would I touch that car - I don't care how many times he asked me, I would tell him "do it yourself".

What is wrong with people today - they don't get what just happened?

He wasn't doing his job by allowing anyone other than another LEO to be involved after the arrest. The car can sit right in the middle of the road, shutting down traffic AND it is his problem.

See maybe you think this is a good thing but what if you sit in the car and get stuck by something, or you get hurt if something else happens. Or mess with evidence of another crime while getting into or out of the car or moving things around - now it is not a case of being a good citizen but screwing up a possible case or worst, being involved with a case. You can't go back to the state and say "he made me do it" - the liability for them stops with you touching the car.

The other thing that could be used is because HE didn't secure the car, then the evidence within the car can now be suspect throwing doubt into any court case of this incident. The driver's lawyer could say you planted the beer bottle in it, and then nothing in the car can be used - you are a lawyer's dream.

This is different from a LEO wresting with a driver on the side of the road or someone having a heart attack, a lot different.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is actually a 2 part story...

1st..He blocked/slowed down the offending car

--------------------------------------------------------

2nd. Moving it off the driving surface....

I would have not done the latter...that is what tow trucks are for....the officer could have just sat with his lights on till a wrecker got there...
Nothing heroic about the 2nd part.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First, I'm wondering why anyone would stop for an officer that has stopped some other vehicle - I sure wouldn't.
Next, I'm having trouble believing that any LEO would ask a passerby to move a vehicle [except perhaps in an emergency], because the potential for liability may not be great, but it does exist.
Last, I have some experience with drunks, and they can get combative in a heartbeat! Another potential liability, which LEOs are trained to avoid.
Sounds odd to me, too.

"A wise woman speaks because she has something to say. A fool speaks because she has to say something."

Rhodes101

Not a Member
I am having a little trouble seeing exactly what happened here. If he had 2 vehicles behind him the 2nd being a Police car with a flashing light. He just stopped in the lane? He didn't pull over? I would not stop in a lane of traffic I would have to legally pull over. I am not trying to bash the poster nor the bashers. A little more info would be great.