Carrier APU Starter Problem

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have a carrier/pro heat Gen 4,

Recently I have been getting an intermitant "CRANK LIMIT" error. Which means the unit is not starting and giving up. When this problem occurs the starter does nothing. No clicks or movement of any kind. This is an intermitant issue.

When starters die do they DIE Intermitantly?
The APU is running right now after being dead for a day. I have checked the wiring to the starter and it looks good and tight and the battery is charged.

Any thoughts, I hate to replace the strter if Im not sure it is the problem. I have little confidence in any of the carrier techs, Im sure they would be happy to clip me 500 bucks for a strter whether it was bad or not.

If the starter FAILS INTERMITANTLY is ther a way to know if it really is the problem?

aileron

Expert Expediter
I know on a regular starter and probably on this starter too, if the brushes get too short it will do that kind of thing. Next time it happens, take a hammer and hit it a few times and then try again. If it starts, the starter is the problem.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
1 - let it sit, then try starting it while you have the covers off. If it cycles through the motion and you hear a click or no click, then it may be the starter but if it attempts to start (meaning cranks) and doesn't start, then it may be an engine problem. The controls may have a lock out to prevent draining the battery with a stand alone setting be selected.

2 - if you are unsure and have a volt meter handy, hook the volt meter up to the solenoid wire and see when it is supposed to be cranking that it actually gets the voltage and if it does, then read #3.

3 - the solenoid may be the real problem, not the starter.

4 - which engine does it have in it, Kubuto, Cat? There is no APU out there that uses custom parts on the engine.

5 - change it, why have a 'tech' do the work, it is simple to change, just time consuming the first time.

guido4475

Not a Member
My Powertech 7.5 kw generator had a Kubota d-905e engine (3 cyl) that had a custom-made aluminum waterneck on it made by a vendor of powertech. It was not an original equipment waterneck.I bought the generator brand new.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I meant starters, injectors, IPs, manifolds and so on. Those items are not replaced because of the cost to develop them. Alternators are an exception but again most alternators are based on four or five designs and a good repairman can find the parts or replace it.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Well, guys the sarter was shot. I gave it the hammer tap test and it turned right over. I made a few calls and Carrier wanted $365.00 dollars for one. That is a bunch of bull crap as far as Im concerned. They didnt have they in stock anyway. So I checked a few auto parts places and they didnt have any either. Finally I landed at a starter rebuild shop and the guy put it back together while I waited $105 bucks, he replaced everything, brushs bushinng selenoid, and the gear teeth. Got it put back together and it spins that kubota right over.

8600 hours on it so far. Its been mainly one big POS but I guess the starter was due I figure with that mnay hours it has cranked that engine over 20,000 time I guess that is alot I dont know.

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
Glad to here you got your starter issue worked out. Your APU may have given you some problems, but 8600 hours is 8600 gallons of fuel the truck did not burn, along with reduced truck engine wear.

lets see 8600 gals x $2.50 = $21,500.00 of fuel the truck engine didn't burn. I'm pretty sure you are still ahead of the game as opposed to idling that truck.

fergtrans69

Active Expediter
Well, guys the sarter was shot. I gave it the hammer tap test and it turned right over. I made a few calls and Carrier wanted $365.00 dollars for one. That is a bunch of bull crap as far as Im concerned. They didnt have they in stock anyway. So I checked a few auto parts places and they didnt have any either. Finally I landed at a starter rebuild shop and the guy put it back together while I waited $105 bucks, he replaced everything, brushs bushinng selenoid, and the gear teeth. Got it put back together and it spins that kubota right over.

8600 hours on it so far. Its been mainly one big POS but I guess the starter was due I figure with that mnay hours it has cranked that engine over 20,000 time I guess that is alot I dont know.
Can you share the name of the repair shop that you used?

Thanks

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
give bill more a call at tsi he works wonders on most genset
he is the best
800 388 3850

JLarkin62

Active Expediter
I have a comfort preheat apu that starts and runs for about 30 seconds and stops, it does three time and then it reaches it's crank limit, got any ideas what my problem maybe?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Fuel filter's plugged, is my guess.

If you don't carry spares, most TA's and Petros have them. PM should run you about $40. I like to tip a good mechanic.

Lastly, good idea to carry spare filters. Cross reference is in the back of your owner's manual.

Oh...sorry...there's two fuel filters...one is a spin on, the other is an in-line. Replace them both.

Last edited: