weigh stations question

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
:confused:With driving a cargo van over the road, with company decals on it [(not plain van) ie: under the radar]:cool:
which states require us to stop at scales?
I have a '06 chevy extended 2500. CEVA sinage all over it.
I do remember that Ky does not want vans on scales...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
You will get different interpretations on this subject from knowledgable people. I have spent the last eight years driving an expediting cargo van, seven of those years my van was emblazoned with the roaring, two headed cat. I have never crossed a scale or entered a weigh station in a van. 700,000 or 800,000 miles driven with no citations.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
KY requires it, but seldom enforces. The pick-ups hauling heavy horse trailers, are the main reason.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
KY requires it, but seldom enforces. The pick-ups hauling heavy horse trailers, are the main reason.

I do remember a prior post that was talking about crossing Ky weigh scales in a van, and driver was reamed by scale master. If my feeble mind remembers right driver was told that scales were set for 10,000 and when light truck/van drove across they had to recalabrate the scales.

Right now the only required stop is "AG check" in Fl. and border check in TX.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
As a resident of Kentucky, I pass their scales hundreds of times per year. Better I should say I bypass their scales. Never been an issue for me. I would have been busted by now if enforcement existed.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I never stop at any scales anywhere, but I drive a window van without the advertising decals plastered all over it.

aileron

Expert Expediter
The only time I go through the scales is when I have a hazmat load greater than 1000lbs and I need to placard my van. Otherwise I never go through. And will continue to do so until they pull me over for not going through.

When I switched over to FedEx they told me that Michigan requires us to go in, however I never did it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only time I stopped was in Ohio....they had signs ALL DIESEL Vehicles must STOP....they were checking for dyed fuel...They were surprised I pulled in...Think they meant trucks! But they checked me whilst I was there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Michigan has not yet reversed the confusin' what is a commercial vehicle regulations and they can pull you over and give you as ticket for blowing past a scale.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like Gregg said, Michigan law can be interpreted to mean anything over 5000 must scale. One statute says one thing, another statute says something else. I've never stopped at a Michigan scale.

Kentucky does not require it, I promise you. I'm also a resident of Kentucky, and after reading here on EO that Kentucky required it, a surprise to me at the time, I decided to check it out and had it confirmed both verbally and in writing from the State Police. Kentucky Revised Statutes use the verbatim wording of the FMCSA definition of "commercial motor vehicle".

Alabama law, as of June 27, 2006, does not require logging or scaling of any vehicle that is outside the scope of the "federal motor carrier safety regulations as prescribed by the U.S. Department of Transportation, 49 C.F.R. Part 107, Parts 171-180, Parts 382-384, and Parts 390-399" {Alabama Vehicle Code Section 32-9A-2}. That means vans don't have to log and scale in Alabama unless you are a Commercial Motor Vehicle in the eyes of the FMCSA.

Wyoming requires all deliveries into the state, whether you are a commercial vehicle or not, to stop at the scales. Trucks, vans, station wagons, cars, anyone delivering something into the state. If you are just passing through you do not have to stop. The first time I entered Wyoming, on the way to California, I stopped because the sign read like it meant I should. They said no, only if you are delivering into Wyoming. I have delivered into Wyoming 3 times, all 3 times I have stopped at the scales. All 3 times they checked out my paperwork, and all 3 times thanked me for stopping (they're very nice in Wyoming), and all 3 times they said with vans it's really just about raw food products and HAZMAT and that if I wasn't carrying something like that, I really didn't have to stop. But I'll continue to stop there if I'm delivering into the state.

No other states require vans to stop. Of course, in all states, if you are placarded, then you are a commercial vehicle, and commercial vehicles must stop at all scales. Florida and California have Agriculture Stops, and of course the Border Patrol stops in Texas and Arizona and California.

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter
jrcarroll,

I made it a point to stop at a weigh station in every state I entered at one point or another over the past 6 years.

The only states that requires a non-hazmat van to stop are Virginia (7400 gvwr or larger) and Arizona. There is a hefty fine if you do not stop in Arizona and get a permit.

As for Kentucky, they used to require all vehicles used commercially to stop but changed it a few years ago to over 10,000 lbs.

As for Michigan, there are some different interpretations to their statutes. I have spoken with Lt. Ford regarding this and he has assured me that cargo vans under 10,000 lbs are not required to stop. Lt. Ford is the DOT trainer in Michigan's Lansing headquarters. He even gave me his personal cell phone number if I ever get stopped for not entering scales.

Also, you must stop at the agriculture stations entering Florida.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Tell Lt Ford that the MPS operations says otherwise. They say "we can stop people who have passed a weigh station in any commercial vehicle". The individual officer can make a descrinary call on everything but you can get one cop who has had a bad day and wants to be mean about it.

The change was intended to produce revenue but MSP CE seem not to care enough to follow their guidelines. It is the same why the state is not using prepass, they want to 'catch' truckers in the scales. Every day I pass through those scales south of Monroe and every day there are at least one truck pulled in for an inspection at the scale.

The law is messed up (like everything else here), many have asked the state to clarify it - meaning the state legislature but they refuse.

There are two areas where they define what is a commercial vehicle by weight, one section that states specifically what is to scale and one that says if you are driving on Michigan roads as a commercial vehicle while working as an interstate vehicle, you must have proper signage on that vehicle which includes the owners name (not just the company name).

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think a commercial vehicle officer could pull over any size vehicle...whether it has to scale or not...thats their job...

In Ontario they even pull over cars if they appear unsafe or polluting...Thats the Green and white cruisers...marked MTO or down here would be DOT....
It is the job of the DOT to keep the highways safe for everyone.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey Turtle. Good to know about Alabama. I know that you used to have to cross with any vehicle engaged in commercial use.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hey Turtle. Good to know about Alabama. I know that you used to have to cross with any vehicle engaged in commercial use.
Yeah, used to be vans had to log and scale while in Alabama, and I did. But all that changed, and it had to do with the ability go get federal Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program funding. You want federal funding, you gotta play by federal rules. :)

If you are in a van (or a long laundry list of other types of vehicles) and are titled and licensed in Alabama and are engaged strictly in intrastate commerce within Alabama, then you still have to log and scale. But for interstate commerce, it's interstate rules.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I have one for you. What is the weight requirement in New Mexico that you have to stop and get a permit to cross? I've been told all different stories about this and wonder if anybody had a true answer. Tried to call DOT in New Mexico, but they are as hard to get a hold of as if they owed you money. :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In Arizona, you have to stop and get a trip permit. For 2 axles, the cost is $2.00 for each fifty miles or fraction of fifty miles to be traveled on the highways in any one trip.

However, 3/4 ton pickups and vans are specifically exempted.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
dunno. the only time i went thru n.m. was at nite, on a friday, and the weigh station had lights on, drivers went thru as required but it looked like no one was home.

permit office is closed. please call back at 1300 mst.

Trucking Restrictions

For more information about permits or other matters, please call the Motor Transportation Department: 505-827- 0376