My first big problem...

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
151,033 mile on my 2006 Sprinter and I got my first big problem,lost engine power,no more then 55 mile/hour.I change the fuel filter and was running very good for 300 mile and I lost power again.Next day got to the dealer and I find out that I have a bad EGR Valve.To change the EGR Valve and to reset the AIR BAG LIGHT(SRS) I got a bill of $1167.98,and 3 days off(EGR Valve not in stock).I HOPE YOU HAVE A BETTER DAY!!

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Had to replace mine before the van even went in service. I think it was around 1000 miles. Only took about ten minutes in the shop. Mine is an 08 and under warranty, I don't know about the cost.

I was told that idling will make it go bad. Have no idea if that is true. That is not why mine went bad, as I only idle long enough to recharge my auxiliary batteries infrequently.

Dealership that did mine said he had done several on the 08.

Hope you have better luck with the new one.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 05 turned 300,000 the other day and didn't turn into a pumpkin and I am still here...NO big problems yet....But now I've surpassed 300,000 wear stuff should be showing up and thats ok....

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Dan,

That seems high...find another mechanic or next time get competitive bids. Anyone else think that's high?

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Sprinters were known for having EGR valve problems. I ran into a driver one time in Temple Ga. and he told me that it takes only 4 screws to take it out and then he cleans it with kerosine and puts it back in and has never had a problem with it. I myself don't have a sprinter but just thought I would pass that info on to you, may help in the future.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinters were known for having EGR valve problems. I ran into a driver one time in Temple Ga. and he told me that it takes only 4 screws to take it out and then he cleans it with kerosine and puts it back in and has never had a problem with it. I myself don't have a sprinter but just thought I would pass that info on to you, may help in the future.

Alot of the more experienced guys that are still running the pre2005's nearly all clean their own EGR's...the newer ones are abit harder but doable....Mines never been touched....YET!

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I think Dan's First Big Problem is he doesn't have an affordible mechanic. That outfit sounds like some scam artists. I have towed my truck to another garage when it was broke down on the road and saved a lot of money calling around. But the sad thing is this was his dealer!!!!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I recently built myself an "idle stick" out of a turnbuckle and 2' long piece of 3/8" threaded rod. With it I can set the idle up to around 1000 - 1200 rpm.

The first thing I noticed was that the stink went away. Previously, anytime I idled for extended periods (an hour or more) you could smell a stink ..... I assume that it was unburned diesel. The other thing that would occur is that when I eventually rolled the Sprinter would put out lots of blue-white smoke until it had been run for a bit at higher than idle speeds (to burn off the unburned fuel)

My take would be to avoid idling if at all possible - and if you have to, make sure you run the engine at a high enough rpm to avoid problems with incomplete combustion.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Dan's First Big Problem is he doesn't have an affordible mechanic. That outfit sounds like some scam artists. I have towed my truck to another garage when it was broke down on the road and saved a lot of money calling around. But the sad thing is this was his dealer!!!!

See thats part of the problem, Dodge brainwashes owners into thinking Sprinter Only Dealers...Once the warrenty is up there's no onus to use one other then maybe computer or sensor problems...and if your local mech doesn't charge a mark-up for parts, he'll usually be cheaper and just as good....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, to both. :)

You need new shocks, man.

It's beautiful here in sunny Laredo. It's only about 94 at the moment, humidity is way down at 39%. It's supposed to get to 103 again today. Every day it's been between 101 and 106. And people live here. On purpose.

I wonder if they let you swim in the river to cool off?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Use it up!
Wear it out!
Make it do
Or do without!

It's beautiful here in sunny Laredo. It's only about 94 at the moment, humidity is way down at 39%. It's supposed to get to 103 again today. Every day it's been between 101 and 106. And people live here. On purpose.

Did that whacky driver ever get out of there?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
LOL yeah. Good riddance. That guy was a nut.

The team got one out of here, so I'm #1 on the Hit Parade. Then again I've been that way for 2 days now, and other trucks just keep on comin' in below me. They're gonna be here a while, I think. After being here since Friday morning, I figure I'll be rewarded with a load going to some place exotic, like Los Indios, maybe Brownsville.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

be sure to report in to the guards that you are already from the americaan side of the river!! could get dicey coming to shore.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so theres this used car dealer on 385 south of Greensville has 2 Sprinters a shorty and long one with rooftop air...looks to be 05-06's....just passed them on lot...exit 26 on east side.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter

To cool off? Is that the only reason folks around there swim the river?

I'm a bit north of you at the moment. I just arrived in Dallas and it's warm enough here.