My first big problem...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
LOL yeah. Good riddance. That guy was a nut.

The team got one out of here, so I'm #1 on the Hit Parade. Then again I've been that way for 2 days now, and other trucks just keep on comin' in below me. They're gonna be here a while, I think. After being here since Friday morning, I figure I'll be rewarded with a load going to some place exotic, like Los Indios, maybe Brownsville.

If you're still there tomorrow, I'll be joining you. I'm delivering down there in the morning.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, I'm not still down there. I'm parked right next to you at the moment. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I cover mine all the time, too. People think I'm sleeping all the time, but I'm just nekkid. All the time.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
That blue smoke when you first start out isnt unburned fuel.its oil,from idleing at a low rpm,your gettin fuel and oil mixed,if it were unburned fuel you will get a white smoke.If you idle at low rpms you may even get anti freeze in the wash,that can smell really bad

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Couple of questions for those who have/have had the pre-05 Sprinter.

What is the best way to clean the EGR yourself as mentioned, to save from the pricey replacements?

RLENT or others.. how exactly did you make your own idle adjuster?

Thinking of getting a Sprinter myself.. always just used Ford Vans.. but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Dale

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Couple of questions for those who have/have had the pre-05 Sprinter.

What is the best way to clean the EGR yourself as mentioned, to save from the pricey replacements?
CRC makes a cleaner specifically for that I believe which is available from O'Reilly Auto and probably other places. The product info link's on CRC's website seem to be dead at the moment. I've heard of people cleaning them with kerosene, diesel, and carb cleaner too ..... IIRC.

RLENT or others.. how exactly did you make your own idle adjuster?
Two foot piece of 3/8" all-thread from Lowes and a turnbuckle from Canadian Tire (about $10 total) Remove the ends that came with the turnbuckle and screw the all-thread into one end of it.

Adjust to taste and stick between the pedal and the backside of one of the arms coming out from the center of the steering wheel. I even put a small vacuum cap (from Lowes) on the end of the all-thread where it goes on the pedal to keep it from moving around. I do have a steering wheel cover that makes it a little easier to get it to stick in place. Turn steering wheel slightly for fine adjustment. :D

When my battery separator engages and disengages, placing the aux bank into, and out of, the charging circuit, it changes the load on the motor significantly - especially when the AC is running. I can run at around 900 to 1000 rpm or so - anymore pedal than that, and the engine will rev too high when the separator pulls the aux bank out of the circuit.

An electronic solution would be ideal - say the factory high idle option - but unfortunately it is fixed at around 2000 rpm, which is way higher than actually needed (about 1200 rpm or so) It may be possible to modify to a lower rpm ..... I think I saw that .... but I can't remember where offhand. No idea on what it would cost to retrofit ......

Thinking of getting a Sprinter myself.. always just used Ford Vans.. but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Go MOPAR !!!! :D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Steve,

Great data.

That blue smoke when you first start out isnt unburned fuel.its oil,from idleing at a low rpm,your gettin fuel and oil mixed,if it were unburned fuel you will get a white smoke.
Well I haven't gotten out the color spectrometer :D ..... but it could be more white than blue .... I'd say it's sorta a white-bluish smoke ..... I really need to observe it a little closer.

If you idle at low rpms you may even get anti freeze in the wash,that can smell really bad
That might be what it is .... I know I first smelled it when my son got his '04 ..... it was an odd stink that I had never smelled before with any diesel that I had ever been around .... and have since smelled it on other Sprinter's, including ours, as well.

Outside of a blown head gasket say ...... how does engine coolant get into the combustion chamber or oil ........ ?

I wouldn't think that that would be a "normal" condition ......