You've Been Researching This How Long?

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Shh, it's a secret.

So, our long journey into a career in expediting has been a secret to our friends and family. Today we had a family pool and pizza party and were able to let everyone in on what we are doing. Only our youngest daughter, who was living at home during most of our planning (she's out on her own now) knew of our plans. The intent was not to hide our plans from everyone it was just that, until we were absolutely, positively sure this was what we wanted to do, we just felt more comfortable keeping that information to ourselves.

I won't know my retirement date until we have a firm date for our orientation. It will most likely be a relatively short notice for my retirement but that's just how it's going to have to be.

My youngest daughter made us a cake, how cool was that! I think she did a great job.

Expo this week. Expecting our updated licenses in the mail anytime, hopefully this week. Carrie's passport and passport card are in the works. We're getting there.

Truck Cake.jpg

Regards,

Mike and Carrie

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Shh, it's a secret.

So, our long journey into a career in expediting has been a secret to our friends and family. Today we had a family pool and pizza party and were able to let everyone in on what we are doing. Only our youngest daughter, who was living at home during most of our planning (she's out on her own now) knew of our plans. The intent was not to hide our plans from everyone it was just that, until we were absolutely, positively sure this was what we wanted to do, we just felt more comfortable keeping that information to ourselves.

I won't know my retirement date until we have a firm date for our orientation. It will most likely be a relatively short notice for my retirement but that's just how it's going to have to be.

My youngest daughter made us a cake, how cool was that! I think she did a great job.

Expo this week. Expecting our updated licenses in the mail anytime, hopefully this week. Carrie's passport and passport card are in the works. We're getting there.

Regards,

Mike and Carrie

Cake turned out great, I'll bet it tasted good too!

I have a 3-day work week, then we are road-tripping North for the Expo... hope to meet up with and all of the great people in this industry!

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Cake turned out great, I'll bet it tasted good too!

Yes, she did a great job.

I have a 3-day work week, then we are road-tripping North for the Expo... hope to meet up with and all of the great people in this industry!

Very nice. Carrie and I are only working 2 days this week!!! Decided to just take a couple of extra days off to enjoy ourselves. We will be in Ft. Wayne on Thursday, gonna go to the Bolt open house and just kind of relax and have fun. Really looking forward to it.

Reactions: Treadmill

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
We're back from the Expo, another great event! Met so many great people, made some new friends and are so thankful for them. Funny how things work out. Carrie and I were quite sure on who we were going to be driving for before the Expo, well things change. There's nothing better than face to face conversation, looking someone in the eye, shaking their hand and having a person to person discussion about their business along with other subjects relevant to the industry. To me, this is a two way interview, you are interviewing me and I am interviewing you. Do I want to be a part of your company, even as an independent contractor? Is it a good fit for both your company and for us? I would much rather discover this before we begin driving for a fleet owner than after. We just didn't feel that we would be a good fit with this fleet owner, no ill feelings, we certainly wish the company the best, but we are not right for this fleet owner and this fleet owner is not right for us. We have, however, found a fleet owner with whom we feel very comfortable with and are pursuing a business relationship with him. Don't be afraid to do your research, don't be afraid to ask the fleet owner questions.

So now our journey continues.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
We're back from the Expo, another great event! Met so many great people, made some new friends and are so thankful for them. Funny how things work out. Carrie and I were quite sure on who we were going to be driving for before the Expo, well things change. There's nothing better than face to face conversation, looking someone in the eye, shaking their hand and having a person to person discussion about their business along with other subjects relevant to the industry. To me, this is a two way interview, you are interviewing me and I am interviewing you. Do I want to be a part of your company, even as an independent contractor? Is it a good fit for both your company and for us? I would much rather discover this before we begin driving for a fleet owner than after. We just didn't feel that we would be a good fit with this fleet owner, no ill feelings, we certainly wish the company the best, but we are not right for this fleet owner and this fleet owner is not right for us. We have, however, found a fleet owner with whom we feel very comfortable with and are pursuing a business relationship with him. Don't be afraid to do your research, don't be afraid to ask the fleet owner questions.

So now our journey continues.

That is exciting; Beth and I will be waiting to hear how your trip wound down, and what news you came away with.

Reactions: sanbomi1

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Carrie finally received her updated license in the mail a couple of days ago. She applied for her passport after taking her hazmat and tanker endorsement tests and still received her passport before her license (we did pay for an expedited processing for her passport, 3 weeks processing time I believe). We may be on the road by the end of August. Seems like that time is approaching fast. Excited and nervous. Oh, and I need to finalize my retirement date. Seems like just yesterday that I started this post but it was February 21st that I first shared our story. Regards, Mike

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
It's been awhile since I posted an update. We had a great time at the Expedite Expo, made new friends, attended some very informative workshops and talked with several fleet owners. Since the Expo, we have made our decision as to which fleet owner we feel most comfortable working with.

Just yesterday I informed my employer of my intent to retire. Our orientation is scheduled for Sept 9th, that's coming up fast. I have a lot of thoughts and feelings running thru me right now, I've been with my current employer for over 30 years. It's certainly not the same company I started with (now owned by a major food company), but, it is in our small town, my father worked here, my grandparents worked here so there is a long family history associated with this company. I work with really great people. The guys I work with will most likely be informed today of my upcoming retirement, I'm sure that will answer many questions as to what I have been doing over the past few years as far as downsizing our home, getting rid of a bunch of stuff we don't need and so on. It's somewhat difficult to think that I won't be at my current job any longer but we are now facing a new and exciting adventure that we have been preparing for, one which has been a long time in the making.

Just wanted to share where we are at. The journey continues...

Regards,

Mike

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
So, one more day here at work, then I'm done, retired, at least from my current job. Carrie and I leave on Sunday to pick up our truck, then off to orientation. It's almost here. It's been a very long process but now seems like not enough time to get everything done before we leave. We're excited to get started but nervous at the same time. It's been awhile since I posted anything so I wanted to give an update.

Regards,

Mike

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, one more day here at work, then I'm done, retired, at least from my current job. Carrie and I leave on Sunday to pick up our truck, then off to orientation. It's almost here. It's been a very long process but now seems like not enough time to get everything done before we leave. We're excited to get started but nervous at the same time. It's been awhile since I posted anything so I wanted to give an update.

Regards,

Mike
Once you get in the truck, both of you must now exhale because it’s time to make the money. Lol.

Reactions: sanbomi1

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Orientation done. Need to get some work done on the truck tomorrow then our first load on Tuesday! So much to learn out here on the road. Everything from fueling, truck stop apps (free showers and other stuff), paperwork, more apps, load board, Qualcomm, weigh stations, toll booths, logging, learning how stuff works in the truck and so much more. Everything is new to us. Things that will be second nature eventually are now a learning experience. Time to make some dinner and relax for the evening. The journey has started!!!