your APU input please

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey no problem, even some of the surplus companies have the radiators for under 100. I think the model that I need is one from a Bobcat.

I should have taken pictures of the work we did, the valves I got from eBay and tested them at 1000 psi (they are rated for 2000 psi).

I was thinking about if you don't have a radiator, using a radiator and an electric fan that can be mounted off the apu would work so when you are idling, the fan pulls air through the APU.

Again so much can be done, mainly because out of the 10 or so different APUs I have looked at, not one of them has a custom engine built by the APU company.

Mine has almost 8000 hours on it. I just got the water pump replaced but now I have a small oil leak. I hate to see what that is going to cost to replace all those seals.

I would REALLY like to find a way to replace it. Darn things are just so expensive. TOO expensive if you as me. I can buy a pretty good used car for what these things cost.

moose

Veteran Expediter
@ any case , you can save also 1,700$ by using the Sierra financing solution, IF you can bare the paperwork's involved.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have the onan-quiet-with the roof mount air and wabasco heater.
love it. hate the tripac,especially parked near one-sounds like a lawnmover-very few are quiet, plenty of power,also have a gen set-only kicks in when needed

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thermoking wants $2500 to install a used Tripac. There are used ones out there for $2500 - $3500. Bob in Missouri will do for about $1500, but says that there are always parts missing that add about another $1000. I can do myself, as I normally do all my mechanical work and have the experience. Do I really want to spent my hometime working on my truck? I do not think so!

Everyone has very valid points and great ideas, but one thing keeps coming back to me, most experienced expediters always say that next time they want an "Onan". If I run my Espar at night, how long will I have to run my block and water heater in the morning to warm my engine? Or is it better to keep a warm engine temp throughout the night. Keep in mind that I spend alot of time in Quebec.

What is the fuel consumption of the 7500 Onan running a 13000 Btu rooftop. I know there are some data on the Cummins site, but need real life info. Does this unit fit in a double door toolbox? I think I saw one like that before.

Lenny

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Everyone has very valid points and great ideas, but one thing keeps coming back to me, most experienced expediters always say that next time they want an "Onan". If I run my Espar at night, how long will I have to run my block and water heater in the morning to warm my engine? Or is it better to keep a warm engine temp throughout the night. Keep in mind that I spend alot of time in Quebec.

Depending on the controller in the cab, you can set your onan to turn on at a certain time to charge your batteries. The setting is there so that RVers can run it in the evening before "lights out" so it won't come on in the middle of the night and wake up the camp. It would be very easy for you to run the engine heater switch to be powered through the onan (as ours is) and flip the switch so it comes on when the onan starts. For example- you're leaving at 8am, so you set the onan to come on at 6am with the engine heater and run until 8am- or however long you think it should take. :) Hope this helps.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would recommend an Onan generator, Espar Airtronic for the cab, Espar Hydronic for the engine, rooftop AC. Separate systems.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
This is the enclosure that Bentz made for our Onan in 2004

from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1324569423531.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1324569423531.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 22

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We would also recommend going with the Onan/rooftop a/c setup. Is the Onan more expensive? Yes it is. Have we had to have repairs done to it? Absolutely.

But the bottom line is that our unit has worked very well for us for 4+ years. It has over 12,000 hours on it, and has more than paid for itself and any repair and maintainance costs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all the input. Installed my new Espar and its working great. Will not have to put my coffee water in the fridge to prevent freezing! Onan arriving tomorrow and rooftop will be dealt with during the next few weeks. Would love to have Don Benz built me an enclosure. Will get a quote. I will be using the new Onan remote that can be programmed and can monitor temperature (not that I need that), battery voltage, etc. The nice part is that there is no need for wires between the cab and the generator. Have a great and fulfilling 2012.
Lenny