You will not like these foods.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Me and a friend of mine are trying something new, but its not new, its just most of us want to forget it.

So, what is it? Thought you would never ask.

Eat more greens. No tators, no breads, drink water or skim milk and walk more. So we are doing the greens and veggie thing. No fast foods, unless we freak out and can't take it anymore,lol.

It works, we have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks and once you get used to greens and water, it's great. Cereal for BK with a banana and we are good to go. Lunch, a salad and crackers and milk or water. It works, and keep walking. I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If u wanna stay plump, forget the above.lol

Things I miss, bacon, sausage , biscuits, steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, I'm going to food therapy classes, maybe. You can't be an expediter and eat right for to long, it gets to you, doesn't it?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
When I was home for the last month and a half, I did a lot of fruit and green smoothies, and once a week treated myself with a small meal outside of my meal plan, typically when I went out to eat with a girlfriend. Since February of this year I have lost over 40 pounds. Nick has lost about 35.

Being back in the truck with Nick I have been doing all of our cooking, sticking to the weight watchers points system. It has been a great booster when people that we haven't seen in a while notice our efforts, as well as when you put the pants on that you wear quite often and notice that you are now swimming in them.

Congratulations on your weightloss, and keep it up.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
When I was home for the last month and a half, I did a lot of fruit and green smoothies, and once a week treated myself with a small meal outside of my meal plan, typically when I went out to eat with a girlfriend. Since February of this year I have lost over 40 pounds. Nick has lost about 35.

Being back in the truck with Nick I have been doing all of our cooking, sticking to the weight watchers points system. It has been a great booster when people that we haven't seen in a while notice our efforts, as well as when you put the pants on that you wear quite often and notice that you are now swimming in them.

Congratulations on your weightloss, and keep it up.

wow, 40 and 35 lbs, now thats a testimony, hoooorah.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Did you know .......

McDonald's can make you skinny also!

Breakfast: that yougurt cup with the granola. (2, if yer a pig like me)

Lunch: a side salad and a grilled chicken sandwich

Dinner: the grilled chicken ceasar salad.

Of course diet drinks, or water.

For those "snacking times", a bag of Frito Lay "Fancy Mixed Nuts"

For those times ya just wanna go in and set down somewhere ...

Waffle House ... scrambled eggs and tomato slices for breakfast, white toast.

Lunch a bowl of chilli

Dinner, pork chops ... again tomato slices instead of hash browns.

And exercise is always important ... though here I'm asking you to do as I say, not as I do! (Gasp)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was recently diagnosed with elevated blood sugar, which is a euphemism for three and a half times the normal level and an A1c of eleven. It required a radical change of diet, as the prospect of having to go on insulin is not an option. The diet is basically the caveman food of the Atkins Diet, of which most people have a wildly incorrect perception, 'cause they never bothered to read the book. It's natural foods, not invented foods (turkey bacon), not processed foods (refined white flour), mostly in "God's packaging" along the perimeter of the grocery store and not in the cardboard and cellophane packaging in the inner aisles of the store.

Stay away from anything "white", like flour, white bread, potatoes, rice, corn starch, sugar. Also stay away from liquid corn sweeteners (although corn oil is good for you). Eat whole fruits and vegetables rather than drinking them. Eliminate soda sweetened with sugar or liquid corn, and dramatically limit soda sweetened with aspartame. Evidence suggests that while aspartame won't elevate blood sugar, it prevents it from dropping to appropriate and natural levels. In other words, if you sugar is high, aspartame will keep it high. Thanks to using a ridiculous number of overprices test strips for close monitoring, I have also found this to be at least anecdotally true. While I haven't yet completely eliminated Diet Mountain Dew, I've cut back to 3 or 4 cans a week, from 5 or 6 a day. Nowadays it's mostly water, unsweetened tea (sometimes sweetened with Splenda or tevia), or Powerade Zero.

The only real deviation from the Atkins Diet is to avoid or limit high fatty meats, especially cow, as high saturated fats interferes with insulin sensitivity by changing the fatty acid composition of membrane lipids. Unsaturated fats on the other hand improve the fatty acid composition. About the only cow I've eaten in the last 6 weeks has been in Wendy's Chili, which is low in carbs and has most of the fat already rendered out of the meat (the meat that goes in Wendy's Chili is literally overcooked meat off the grill, I used to work there and know how it's made).

For many years now I've been eating essentially one meal a day, a second one on occasion, despite knowing that skipping meals is the surest road to obesity. It reduces metabolism to a slow crawl, converts carbs to fat and stores it, and wrecks havoc with insulin production, which is exactly the position that I'm in currently. It's a classic position that many people are in. I haven't quite mastered it, yet, but I'm getting there. I'll try and eat something every 3 or 4 hours, even if it's just an apple or a banana. It keeps the metabolism going.

Wendy's Chili is good. They also have a BLT Cobb salad that's very good is you are watching carbs and blood sugar. Made with field greens, the small amount of hard boiled eggs and the strip of bacon is offset by the fiber of the field greens in the salad. The Avacado Ranch dressing has almost no carbs. It's topped with a sliced up skinless chicken breast, but don't let them use a breaded, deep fried chicken breast. It's supposed to be grilled. Subway salads are good, but get it made with mostly or all spinach, as iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value whatsoever. Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing doesn't need to be refrigerated. Use that on your salads. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype, Subway 9-grain wheat and flarbreads, despite the fiber content, is something you simply cannot eat if it spikes your blood sugar, and for most people it'll spike it just the same as plain white bread will.

In the 5 weeks since the diagnosis and the change in diet, I've lost 4 notches on my belt and 33 pounds. I admittedly have not increased my exercise activity from it's current level of "non-existent" at all. I need to do something about that. Also, an interesting side effect of relatively steady blood sugar, and not drinking the caffeine in diet soda, is that I no longer wake up every 90 minutes like clockwork to pee. I can sleep 6-8 hours uninterrupted.

Maybe all this rambling will help someone. Or not.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I was recently diagnosed with elevated blood sugar, which is a euphemism for three and a half times the normal level and an A1c of eleven. It required a radical change of diet, as the prospect of having to go on insulin is not an option. The diet is basically the caveman food of the Atkins Diet, of which most people have a wildly incorrect perception, 'cause they never bothered to read the book. It's natural foods, not invented foods (turkey bacon), not processed foods (refined white flour), mostly in "God's packaging" along the perimeter of the grocery store and not in the cardboard and cellophane packaging in the inner aisles of the store.

Stay away from anything "white", like flour, white bread, potatoes, rice, corn starch, sugar. Also stay away from liquid corn sweeteners (although corn oil is good for you). Eat whole fruits and vegetables rather than drinking them. Eliminate soda sweetened with sugar or liquid corn, and dramatically limit soda sweetened with aspartame. Evidence suggests that while aspartame won't elevate blood sugar, it prevents it from dropping to appropriate and natural levels. In other words, if you sugar is high, aspartame will keep it high. Thanks to using a ridiculous number of overprices test strips for close monitoring, I have also found this to be at least anecdotally true. While I haven't yet completely eliminated Diet Mountain Dew, I've cut back to 3 or 4 cans a week, from 5 or 6 a day. Nowadays it's mostly water, unsweetened tea (sometimes sweetened with Splenda or tevia), or Powerade Zero.

The only real deviation from the Atkins Diet is to avoid or limit high fatty meats, especially cow, as high saturated fats interferes with insulin sensitivity by changing the fatty acid composition of membrane lipids. Unsaturated fats on the other hand improve the fatty acid composition. About the only cow I've eaten in the last 6 weeks has been in Wendy's Chili, which is low in carbs and has most of the fat already rendered out of the meat (the meat that goes in Wendy's Chili is literally overcooked meat off the grill, I used to work there and know how it's made).

For many years now I've been eating essentially one meal a day, a second one on occasion, despite knowing that skipping meals is the surest road to obesity. It reduces metabolism to a slow crawl, converts carbs to fat and stores it, and wrecks havoc with insulin production, which is exactly the position that I'm in currently. It's a classic position that many people are in. I haven't quite mastered it, yet, but I'm getting there. I'll try and eat something every 3 or 4 hours, even if it's just an apple or a banana. It keeps the metabolism going.

Wendy's Chili is good. They also have a BLT Cobb salad that's very good is you are watching carbs and blood sugar. Made with field greens, the small amount of hard boiled eggs and the strip of bacon is offset by the fiber of the field greens in the salad. The Avacado Ranch dressing has almost no carbs. It's topped with a sliced up skinless chicken breast, but don't let them use a breaded, deep fried chicken breast. It's supposed to be grilled. Subway salads are good, but get it made with mostly or all spinach, as iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value whatsoever. Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing doesn't need to be refrigerated. Use that on your salads. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype, Subway 9-grain wheat and flarbreads, despite the fiber content, is something you simply cannot eat if it spikes your blood sugar, and for most people it'll spike it just the same as plain white bread will.

In the 5 weeks since the diagnosis and the change in diet, I've lost 4 notches on my belt and 33 pounds. I admittedly have not increased my exercise activity from it's current level of "non-existent" at all. I need to do something about that. Also, an interesting side effect of relatively steady blood sugar, and not drinking the caffeine in diet soda, is that I no longer wake up every 90 minutes like clockwork to pee. I can sleep 6-8 hours uninterrupted.

Maybe all this rambling will help someone. Or not.

u r on a tough regimen, keep up the good work.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I cut back to 1200-1500 calories per day for a month and GAINED 1/2 pound. :mad:

I did weight watchers several years ago. Lost 80 pounds. I was hungry 100% of my waking hours and VERY grouchy. I got a TON of exercise when I did that. Walking a lot with several pounds on my back and pulling a canoe full of decoys and wearing waders. Any hints?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, not all calories are created equal. Get your calories from fruits and vegetables and for the most part you can stop counting calories. Another one is something the Chinese have know for centuries is: eat your vegetables first, and you'll end up eating less. The vegetables are higher in fiber which fills you up and makes you feel full longer, and takes longer to move through the digestive track, which makes you less hungry than otherwise.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I cut back to 1200-1500 calories per day for a month and GAINED 1/2 pound. :mad:

I did weight watchers several years ago. Lost 80 pounds. I was hungry 100% of my waking hours and VERY grouchy. I got a TON of exercise when I did that. Walking a lot with several pounds on my back and pulling a canoe full of decoys and wearing waders. Any hints?

I was hungry 100% of my waking hours and VERY grouchy. LOL,,so thats nothing new, its an age thing when u get n your 60's, I know the feeling, lol.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was hungry 100% of my waking hours and VERY grouchy. LOL,,so thats nothing new, its an age thing when u get n your 60's, I know the feeling, lol.

LOL!! Well, it's not worth it then. I would rather be fat and happy! The ONLY thing that felt better then was my knees.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. I would rather be fat and happy!

8682.jpg