You WILL attend mosque

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Could it be that he would have considered attending the service would be praying to a false God?
Only if while attending he actually prayed to the false god. But attending the service for any other reason than worship wouldn't qualify.

He wasn't being exposed to it he was required to go to a religious service.
Sort of, but not really. He wasn't being required to go to a service, he was being required to go to an event where they was also going to be a service. The service wasn't the primary reason for him going, nor the primary reason for inviting the police.

If I understood correctly it wasn't the normal cake and cookies appreciation day event, it was piggy backed on to their normal religious service.
Well no, not really. It was, literally, a "law enforcement appreciation day" held in appreciation for the work the Tulsa PD did in relation to the mosque. They also scheduled the "appreciation day" on a day when religious services would take place, not because they wanted to worship with a bunch of infidels (and certainly not to proselytize and convert any of them, since that's quite impossible according to the Qur'an anyway - which office Fields would have known had he bothered to learn anything about Muslims), but because they wanted to show the police department what they do, what they were all about, to take the opportunity to dispel misunderstandings and prejudices.

If this article was more balanced it would have said that the officer was required to attend a religious service.
Actually that wouldn't be balanced at all. The WND piece is already slanted and very selective with it's facts and conclusions as it is. No point in going overboard with it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sincerity really isn't the issue.
According to Fields' senior council, it's the principal underlying issue in the case - that Fields was punished for refusing to attend based on his "sincerely held religious convictions."

BigCat

Expert Expediter
First, I hate crooked or abusive cops, and rather than hate gays, I primarily pity them.
Second, Jehovah's Witnesses are, indeed, a religious cult.

Having family in this religion I have to ask why you think it is a cult? Do you have any facts to back up your statements? Have you ever observed any of their services?

whistler

Active Expediter
I've been dispatched, while an employee, to pick up printed material from Jehovah's Witnesses HQ. My dispatcher switched the load to someone else at my request and I got put on a different one. He said, had there been no one else in the area with hours, I'd have had to do it. The alternate load took me out of the preplan he had and it cost me Thanksgiving at home that year. But at least I didn't haul cult material to deceive people and take them to hell.

Do you honestly ever expect to be taken seriously or have your opinion carry any weight? You expect us to believe you refused a load because the consignee was of a different faith than your own? Your comments here and elsewhere about gays and opposing religions are nothing short of hate speech. FYI, all religions are man made and as such are cults by definition.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
According to Fields' senior council, it's the principal underlying issue in the case - that Fields was punished for refusing to attend based on his "sincerely held religious convictions."

Sincerity doesn't apply in regard to his not attending because of his Christian faith. One can be sincere but not knowledgeable.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Do you honestly ever expect to be taken seriously or have your opinion carry any weight? You expect us to believe you refused a load because the consignee was of a different faith than your own?
I asked to be switched off a load because the shipper was a non-Christian cult that pretends to be Christian, and I wouldn't haul their cult material. I wouldn't have any part in deceiving people and leading them to hell.
Your comments here and elsewhere about gays and opposing religions are nothing short of hate speech.
Ah, the "hate speech" shibboleth, the mark of a leftist who wants to curtail speech of which he doesn't approve. There is no "hate speech," just free speech.
FYI, all religions are man made and as such are cults by definition.
Original Judaism, as practiced by ancient Israel and which no longer exists, and Christianity were instituted by God. God contacted Abraham, not the reverse.
The ancient use of the word cult has been applied to all religions, including Christianity. The modern definition is of one that perverts Christianity, uses alternate definitions for terms, an imposter God and Christ with different attributes though is purported to be the same, and a false, alternate means of salvation.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Having family in this religion I have to ask why you think it is a cult? Do you have any facts to back up your statements? Have you ever observed any of their services?
They fit the definition as in my post above.

whistler

Active Expediter
The ancient use of the word cult has been applied to all religions, including Christianity. The modern definition is of one that perverts Christianity, uses alternate definitions for terms, an imposter God and Christ with different attributes though is purported to be the same, and a false, alternate means of salvation.

Your comment does nothing but bolster the cult argument for all religions. It has never been proven that salvation is real. It is at best a phenomenon remaining to be seen. The most you can hope for is a "my cult is better than your cult" debate.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
​Cheri, trying to respond to your posts is a real pain in the ...

But it's my deeply held conviction that the world needs more color, and I refuse to compromise that belief, so just deal with it. :p
Seriously, the officer wasn't required [or expected] to participate in a religious service, just to observe - is that something his principles wouldn't allow?
I've attended services in churches of several denominations, from Catholic to African Baptist [I love the gospel singing!] to Louisiana Pentecostal
, and never felt anything but welcome. One doesn't need to share beliefs to show respect - isn't that what freedom of religion is all about?
People like Officer Fields are sad: afraid that something they don't 'like' is contagious, and any exposure will contaminate them, so they remain ignorant their whole lives.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey, you can at least be thankful she's given up the tiny font and leaves it in the default actually readable size now.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Your comment does nothing but bolster the cult argument for all religions. It has never been proven that salvation is real. It is at best a phenomenon remaining to be seen. The most you can hope for is a "my cult is better than your cult" debate.
I wouldn't want it to be. People would join for the wrong reasons. Let those who seek, and having sought, find, have it. Apparently, that's what God thinks, too.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
No you said they are pretending to be Christians but you never said why you believe that.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
But it's my deeply held conviction that the world needs more color, and I refuse to compromise that belief, so just deal with it. :p
Shouldn't the content of your writings be the color?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
No you said they are pretending to be Christians but you never said why you believe that.
I did. Being a cult, they redefine many things. Christ, redemption, salvation, the entire plan of salvation, etc. they're like Mormons. They use the same terms, but different entirely.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
cult /kəlt/

Noun 1. A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object. 2. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Synonyms worship - religion - adoration

By definition Amonger you are a cult onto yourself.....

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I did. Being a cult, they redefine many things. Christ, redemption, salvation, the entire plan of salvation, etc. they're like Mormons. They use the same terms, but different entirely.

Every religion redefines many things. If they didn't wouldn't we all be baptist or Methodist or whatever it may be?