You gotta see this truck !

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
RE: Wannabe's

a lot of the trucks on www.trucksforsale.com are rebuilt wrecks. The owner is also known to buy trucks off e-bay to resell on his lot. Our company has 2 trucks from them, and I think it will be the last 2. One is a FL70 with the freightliner sleeper (that little tiny worthless thing behind the front seats) it was laid on it's side. hard. It was once weighed empty on rolling scales. It was 1500 pounds heavier on the drivers side front. It has dual tanks that equalize, the DOT inspector figures this is due to a twisted frame. Makes sense, it was laid on it's right side. The other is a IHC 4700, this truck was put together by them, it has a 48" kenworth sleeper on it, with a custom made boot (see the truck that started this thread for a idea of what they did) and NOTHING was hooked up, no heat, no lights, no a/c, nothing, behind this mess we have a 24 foot box off something built in the early 80's, it's heavy, behind that a rather useless rusted out lift gate. Granted, they saw the boss coming, he has NO business buying trucks, he's not mechanicly inclined. but this 4700 is the most worthless POS I have ever driven. it weighs 8500 pounds on the front axle (hey wait, it's a 8000lbs axle!) and 9000 on the rear empty (fun in the snow!) it only gets worse in front when you load it with it's 253 inch wheel base. It's scale bait for a sharp DOT inspector that puts two and two together on the axle weight. But the truck is huge (39.5 feet long) so no one would think that it would have such light axles under it. oh ya, useable payload, 4500 pounds placed BEHIND the rear axle to lighten up the front.

Man I am glad I bought my own trucks.

mirangerman

Expert Expediter
That's one nice thing about being a co. driver - ya don't have to worry to much about whether your'e truck will b repo'd ! ;)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Merkurfan, I've looked at their junk online. Their Louisville straight truck was first on here, then on ebay (and sold for 11k) and now in their lot for 13,900.

The next truck I get will be a stretch 8. Funny thing though... Kenworth in Ft Wayne and Freightcrapper in Knoxville said they won't stretch MY choice of truck, only theirs. Makes me wonder what criteria they have for a stretched semi besides 500k miles on it... not to mention being extremely overpriced. If you want to go this route, do yourself a favor and handpick a semi with a good mechanic.

T-hawk
"Who wants a body massage?"

merkurfan

Expert Expediter

they tried to sell me that same truck for 10 cash when they first got it. something smelled fishy so I bailed.

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
yeah but look at the age and mileage, 97-99 ish dont you have to have a truck thats fairly new to expedite, probably trade ins there is still room for a 5 foot box on that GMC room for two pallets turned sideways, 4 if you can stack em. Ha!

dukesadog

dukesadog

Expert Expediter

You can head over to ICT they'll stretch anything you want over there, we had our W900 done there with a 150 inch sleeper but it started out as a day cab with a huge CTA ( cab to axle) length and it was cheaper to buy that way.

I'm not sure about stability issues with a straight truck being 50 feet long though, we were with North American then and after we got our truck....yep you guessed it...off to NY city, its tough to park as it is at Jacob Javitts hall, even tougher when you need 10 lanes to make a turn, our empty weight for truck and trailer was 59,000 lbs

Darn..the good ol days

dukesadog:)