You gotta see this truck !

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Sorry , I didn't know how to transfer the photo here but go to trucksforsale.com , click expeditor trucks , and check out the GMC on the very bottom . I'd love to see somebody drive up for orientation in that rig ! " But the dealer said it was an expediter ! "

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I took a look.
I think it is perfect. Only missing item is the liftgate:)
Davekc
owner
20 years

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Could not find it, but saw the BRAND NEW with 8,700 miles on it Steerling with FED ED CUSTOM CRITICAL stickers................
REPO poor guy/gal

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
BP it is the last truck listed down on the bottom. I guess it could be an A Unit. Hope Joe out of Bakersfield doesn't see this add. Just kidding Joe,no offense.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
>BP it is the last truck listed down on the bottom. I guess
>it could be an A Unit. Hope Joe out of Bakersfield doesn't
>see this add. Just kidding Joe,no offense.

haha, now thats funny... (no offense)

http://www.trucksforsale.com/vehpics/bigpics/1757.jpg

It's almost in my price range and just imagine what a coat of paint would do, too bad it's too far away? j/k :p... Although it does bring new meaning to TEAM drivers...

A trully interesting piece... It looks to be an old Railroad Maintance of Way truck, as it likely also had Hi-rail wheels (front bumper extended)...

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
Wannabe

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your right.
That truck is a repo. They were supposedly were only getting one or two runs a week. Tough to pay for that kind of truck with very few runs. All the business plans in the world are not going to save you when that happens.
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thats right but all of your research should have been put into your business plan which allows for down time and possibly being hit by a locomotive.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
Something else kept looking odd on it in addition to it's generally weird apperance.

It's rear doors are the same as the front doors. Ok, not odd in it's self, but my understanding is the rear doors on factory built crewcabs were much more square. Such as the Kodiak below

http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=508/1354kodiak.jpg

My guess is that this was just one more mod to this truck. However it was more professionaly done, and hard to see at first. I'm also willing to wager it was done for it's previous occupation (RR MofW), and not for this expeditor gig...

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
Wannabe

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Just went to the site and counted 5 Panther trucks there for sale.
Does that tell you something??????????????
whitewolf53

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
i only counted 4 panther trucks,2 of them were 7 years old and 1 had almost half a million miles on it.it's doubtful that these 3 are repo's, more than likely trade in's.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
only counted 4 panther trucks,2 of them were 7 years old and 1 had almost half a million miles on it.it's doubtful that these 3 are repo's, more than likely trade in's.

With that many miles on them they were more than likely tradins.
The tell tales are like Freightliner of Knoxville selling a 2004 repo sterling with less than 10,000 miles on it with FedEx on the side.
He was either sitting at home alot or things are going a little slow at FedEx.
Davekc

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>The tell tales are like Freightliner of Knoxville selling a
>2004 repo sterling with less than 10,000 miles on it with
>FedEx on the side.
>He was either sitting at home alot or things are going a
>little slow at FedEx.
>Davekc

i can't speak for everyone in the fleet,but things do not appear to be slow at fedex for us.perhaps it was a misinformed solo driver who was persuaded to buy a high dollar truck.he might have read in some internet forum somewhere that you can have the truck of your dreams, and that life on the road is one big vacation.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
can't speak for everyone in the fleet,but things do not appear to be slow at fedex for us.perhaps it was a misinformed solo driver who was persuaded to buy a high dollar truck.he might have read in some internet forum somewhere that you can have the truck of your dreams, and that life on the road is one big vacation

That has been witnessed more than once lately.
Hopefully it will not become a trend
Davekc
owner
20 years

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
REPO

If you would like for me to respond (from Expierence FECC) I can otherwise you may not want to read what I have personally Expierence I hate to see others go through what I went through besides my bank account.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>
>>The tell tales are like Freightliner of Knoxville selling a
>>2004 repo sterling with less than 10,000 miles on it with
>>FedEx on the side.
>>He was either sitting at home alot or things are going a
>>little slow at FedEx.
>>Davekc
>
>
>i can't speak for everyone in the fleet,but things do not
>appear to be slow at fedex for us.perhaps it was a
>misinformed solo driver who was persuaded to buy a high
>dollar truck.he might have read in some internet forum
>somewhere that you can have the truck of your dreams, and
>that life on the road is one big vacation.

If you know of a driver or driver wannabe that might be vulnerable to such suggestions, you might refer him or her to the recent EO article, "Expediting; A Lifestyle of Choice" by yours truly.

The link is: http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/article_002322.html

In the article, drivers prone to poor research and/or poor decision making will read about the importance of business planning, debt management, committment to the work, a positive attitude, the challengs of the work, and more.

Be sure to draw the driver's attention to the sentence that reads, "...expediting can ruin your life and leave you bankrupt if you fail to identify and respect the demands of the profession, or start without a plan."

While we'll soon have the truck of our dreams, we're not doing it to motivate others to buy fancy trucks. We're doing it because we want a fancy truck, and because our expediting earnings are sufficient to fund it.

It is not right or fair to present just one side of the story to expediter wannabees. They should know the joy of the job to be sure. They should also know the risks they face and the requirements for success they must fulfill. Both sides are presented in the above-mentioned article.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
Wannabe's

Am I correct in seeing this post changing from the original content?
Perhaps this current trend in this discussion would be better placed in the general or even newbie parts of the forum.

I'm not trying to kill the mood, but it appears as though this is quickly turning from a discussion on a, well, "interesting" truck into one more topic about my company is good because... Or your company isn't as good as mine because... Or my current company is better than my past one because...

While I wouldn't mind reading these opinions about the carriers, lets at least do so in a place where others can find the discussion, and not be mislead as to the content of the posts.

stepping down...

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
Wannabe

bigjimhp

Expert Expediter
RE: Wannabe's

Yeah buddy, a lot of truck are getting repo'ed. The best plan will fail,if timing is not on your side. I believe the problem is a lot of these new trucks are just priced extremely high. Dealers act like they can't lower prices (no room), truck will payfor itself if you just sign. 100+ for a fl70-80 is just plain silly, even with a name change, bells and whistles, remember it is just a conversion truck. the base value is based on a city delivery truck. costing 55-60k, start depreciating from that vantage point. sleeper 12-20k is used, after first night. look at the fed-ex truck it should be at least 7-10k cheaper. IT IS ,WHAT IT IS!