YIKES Nascar is expensive

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was looking at the Texas Motor Speedway website at the Indy race this weekend that I'd love to go to. You can get a ticket for $31 if you don't mind watching Matchbox racers. Parking is free. Then I looked at the Nascar race in November. The least expensive ticket available is $52 for the same view. On top of that it's $40 more for parking! For a measly dollar more you could attend 3 Indy races for the price of 1 Nascar race. I know it's the most popular motorsport but sheesh.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
The reason I don't go to games and events is that at a young age I was explained that sports was a business by the owner of the Tigers and again by the owner of the Lions. Since then I can't bring myself to pay for something I already paid for so to allow them to make more millions who are already have a lot more money than I will ever see. I enjoy things from the comforts of my own living room or cab which is 3 feet from my living room right now.

Is Nascar that popular world wide?

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hi i love nascar and its the only sport i watch.But i would never go to a race because of the price's that you have to pay for parking,snacks,and fair location to watch the race from...It will i guess about $150 per person I can't afford it... :(

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Lowes motor speedway for the 600 mile race is $39 for the cheap seats and the parking is free. I went last year and never used the seat, stood by the fence in turn two for the whole race. Seats for the nationwide race the night before were $17.

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
I will say I love to go to NCAA collge basketball tournament games. But man I'll tell you with the advances in HD. I have a 65 inch DLP with surround sound and the camera angles you get watching sports, even Nascar, makes it hard to want to spend that money to go. I love my HDTV

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
I was looking at the Texas Motor Speedway website at the Indy race this weekend that I'd love to go to. You can get a ticket for $31 if you don't mind watching Matchbox racers. Parking is free. Then I looked at the Nascar race in November. The least expensive ticket available is $52 for the same view. On top of that it's $40 more for parking! For a measly dollar more you could attend 3 Indy races for the price of 1 Nascar race. I know it's the most popular motorsport but sheesh.

i never pay more than $40 or $50 for a nascar race, plus it includes a shower, free bed and a continental breakfast. hehehe
seriously though i went to the talladega race in 05 and it was $140 for two tickets 13 rows up at the pit road exit. i last checked and they werent too much more for earlier this year.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
I will say I love to go to NCAA collge basketball tournament games. But man I'll tell you with the advances in HD. I have a 65 inch DLP with surround sound and the camera angles you get watching sports, even Nascar, makes it hard to want to spend that money to go. I love my HDTV

DLP is the way to go, i have a samsung 46". I use to sell them for 2 years, they're the best for HD.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Any race fan absolutely needs to go to at least one race in person. There's no way you'll ever know the speed, smells, etc. unless you've been to at least one. After that, and the bankruptcy from buying the tickets, motel rooms, meals, souveniers, and GASOLINE, watch them on the tube.
If you ever go to Dover, you get 12" of seat space, no more, sometimes less depending on the size of the person sitting next to you. packed in so tight you can barely move your legs or arms. Do that for 5 hrs in the broiling heat. Pay $7-8 bucks for a lousy hamburger.. Go ahead, I dare ya!! LOL
OR......................really waste your time and hard earned money and go to a road course!!
Sit there packed in, watching cars zip past ya every 2 or 3 minutes.........and that's green flag racing.........figure cars passing every 5 to 6 minutes under yellow. The rest of the time your sitting there with your thumb up your butt, waiting for the cars to come around again. Been there/done that at Watkins Glen...............NEVER again!!!!!!!!
Then, after the race, walk a mile back to your car, dodging all the drunks and ****ed off people because Young Punk Bush spun their driver. Then sit in traffice for a minimum of 3 hrs to get moving inch by in.........
I'll stay home and watch it on t.v. from now on.....................
Give me a Saturday night short track any time!!!!!!!!!!
Remeber though, blacktop is for racing, dirt is for farming!!!!!

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
OK race fans, let's see how good you really are!!
Who is the driver that I use for my avatar???? :)
Hint: The best (by far) modified driver of all times!! Bar none

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'm assuming he is racing on a dirt track? I love the dirt track races. I've been to California Motor Speedway and it was awesome. I actually went for free. My unit was invited to go work security in the in field. What we actually did was get invited to sit on people's rvs with them and drink OPB (other people's beer) you know the free stuff is the best kind. Got to meet drivers. They were all like thank you for your service. All real down to earth people. Even Jeff Gordon. I've met Tony Stewart and Mark Martin a few times. Tony makes alot of apperances at Mark Martin's car dealership in Batesville. I've never met Juan Pablo Montoya, but I'm sure he's more down to earth win the cameras aren't on him.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only race I ever went to was in Mutsoo(sp?) Japan. It was the first race held at that track. Several American guys were racing there that day. Gail and Cale Yarbough(sp?) Yea, I am that old. No cost to get in to see it. It was a road couse and we spent the day sitting right on the edge of the pavement on one of the curves. No Fences etc. Looking back we were stupid but got a lot of pics of cars as they took that corner. Wish I could find them. One other thought, how come no one ever talks about the "carbon footprint" of a race? Just our APU's. Layoutshooter

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in 1999 i took my co drive to the Phoenix Nascar races,while we were layed over in Phoenix.We went out of srvice to watch the races,we were at the track all week,scalper got me fro 300 bucks for 2 tickets,but was good for everything going on that week.I got to shake Big E's hand,i'll always remember that,not at the track but in a little out of the way bar and resturant,i new the owner from when i lived in Scottsdale,and Dale Earnhardt was a good friend of his.I iwill say the ticket price was high,food and drinks were high also,but what a week,well worth it.Back in the mid 80's,We at Roberts Express,went to most of the races,open wheel and nascar,delivering Goodyear tires,watched many races for free.But now adays,my watching is witha tv set,if on road we are in motel,if home its a no brainer

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Congratulations Ark!!! You know more about racing than I though!! lol
Yes, that is a pic of the late Richie Evans. He was a good friend of mine.
I"ll tell ya a quick story on how Richie was..:)
Him and I were standing in the pits one night at the track where I worked. It was after the racing had been completed for the night and we were pouring down a few cold ones. His phone rings, he talks for awhile then hangs up. He looks at me and smiled and said you won't believe who that was......It was Bill France Sr. wanting to know how Richie had done that night and when he was going to get out of the modifieds and go to Winston Cup full time.......Richie graciously declined his invitation, telling him he was happy with the Mods. :)

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
You were right Ark.........Richie with his bright orange B.R. Dewitt Concrete modified, "Gene's Machine".
How did you know that?? :) Didn't cheat and do a search, did ya? lol
Gene Dewitt was probably one of the best sponsors anyone could ever ask for! He was 100% behind Richie, told him where ever Richie went, he was there too!
This is the only pic I have that was small enough to use as an avatar. In a way it does look like he's on dirt, doesn't it. Guess he's pretty loose going thru that corner. He drove on dirt very early in his career, but once he hit the blacktop, he never looked back!! :)
Probably one of the best books I've ever read is the one about Richie's life......Just called "Richie". It's a great book, once you start reading, it's hard to put down.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I was little my Granddad took me to a Modified race in the 80s. My granddad got me a little poster of the 60 car on the way out.