Yet another reason why U-Hauls scare me

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There was a reason for the 45 MPH speed limit on their trailers.

If there was ever a case for speedlimiters on trucks, it is Uhaul and other rental companies.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I passed that accident just after they pulled the tire out of the window (saw the cops examining it). Reminded me of the time I lost a set of duallies off a straight truck back in the 70s. The wheel studs all sheared off. Mechanic claimed stress due to age (1963 model truck).

A fellow I know used to have a U-Haul franchise and his big complaint was what customers did to the equipment. He told us all kinds of stories about the damages customers did. I know he tried to keep the trucks,trailers etc in decent condition and had the u-haul mechanics in every couple of weeks bringing parts and doing bigger repairs. Some shops are more interested in rental numbers though.
Rob

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
couple years back gracie and i were doing an ato trip to idaho. on 90 thru the continental divide a suburban with 4 inside was doing 90 with one of the small trailers. it was fishtailing but the male driver just kept his foot in it. it was very apparent he had no idea what was going to happen when he tried plowing thru the curve w/o lifting. the trailer started whipping back and forth. he saved but continued undaunted speeding thru the curves and endangering the lives of those inside.

at a wayside we came out and there they were with a trooper lightening his wallet. when we spoke to the daughter we discovered they were on their way home from college. she complained....the radar dectector never went off. i replied she was fortunate to be alive as her father drives like an *** and walked away. never saw them again.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Many times Fishtailing caused by improper loading of the trailer , especially if it is heavy on the back behind the axle.
I once loaded a Dune Buggy on a trailer ,hit the road , and could not do more then 30 clicks.
unload it , backed it up (motor in front now) and we where good to go.

Don't Help Dune Buggies - Video