Yellow penske trucks

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I used to do the Toronto Star...my old Dodge 3/4T Saturdays paper like 4-5,000 lbs....handled it like a trooper...just don't go over a curb too fast at the beginning....LOL

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is illegal in all states for any vehicle to be over weight,that is just common sense,and the reason all vehicles have the door stickers. The law is not gonna go around weighing cars.The law isn't going to bother you unless the car is grossly over weight causing a safety hazard.

a.eaa.jpg

ontheflyjay

Active Expediter
453122.jpg

15 foot 10,000 Lbs

FROM mjmsprt40

"If you're running dual wheels, that is a giveaway that your real gross weight in that "Tonka Truck" is really more like 12,500"

WRONG.........

They are out there...

Last edited:

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I seen a Chevrolet 4500 with dual rear wheels and a pretty big box with a 9600 gvw sticker on the side. Anyone else seen it? BTW it's not yellow or company logo free.

Not sure if it's the same one but there is one I see occasionally with that MO, on with a well known carrier in this forum. It even appears as though it might be dock high. 9600# on the door. There is no way that's true.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Could it be a 9600# that can haul about 1000# legally? Can't you bolt any box on your cab & chassis? But still held to the c&c sticker?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
No, for sure!!!! It's not like they're saying......
"Sorry, comrade....no go."
Or.....
"Lo siento, señor....no va."

Brisco

Expert Expediter
View attachment 7569

15 foot 10,000 Lbs

FROM mjmsprt40

"If you're running dual wheels, that is a giveaway that your real gross weight in that "Tonka Truck" is really more like 12,500"

WRONG.........

They are out there...

That right there is an Ex Budget truck that General Motors "De-Rates" the GVWR at the Factory so that Budget does not have pay the High $$$ Registration Fees for Thousands of these things they buy directly from GMC themselves.

You buy that same truck at a GMC Dealership off the Lot........You'll be registering it between 12,900 to 14,500 GVWR.

I've sold quite a few of these Ex Budget trucks at my dealership..........and a couple of "off the lot" trucks with the same Set-Up. As a dealer.....you have to double check the VIN before going down and transferring the Title for the Buyer. If it's an Ex Budget Truck..........No Problem.....Just submit the Title with the Title Transfer.....ODO Statement.......Etc. If it's not a Budget.......You go have to go down and get a Weight Tag for it to register it. Big Pain in the.................

Only issue I see here running these over the road is what "IF" you did run across a scale while having 6 1,000 pallets in the back. Truck itself EMPTY is right around 5700lbs. (Trust Me....I KNOW!) Add another 500 for Driver-Fuel-Etc....and then another 6,000lbs for the Load. Registration on the Truck says 9980 GVWR.........and that Scale Cop is looking at 12,000lbs sitting on his scale. What are you going to do?

Something to Think about.......................

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Curb of about 5,700#? Add a few hundred for a bunk and gear. Say 6,000# curb. 9,980# GVWR. 3,980 legal payload and plenty of room for 6 "skinnies".
I think I like that!!
Got a spec sheet on the truck?
What was the standard drivetrain?
Inside box dims?

Sorry to be so nosey.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
My '06 Express extended 4.8L is 6,020 with me in it. I don't carry much at all. Maybe 250# including my bunk.
That would have to be a really light box on there. But, it would certainly be worth scaling.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That's what SHE said!!!
I want to scale again. I can't remember for sure if I had my bunk in then. For a while I had my stuff on the floor then folded up and stacked in front floor.
Then I took my right seat out too.
Who knows?!?!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what SHE said!!!
I want to scale again. I can't remember for sure if I had my bunk in then. For a while I had my stuff on the floor then folded up and stacked in front floor.
Then I took my right seat out too.
Who knows?!?!

For 20 pounds are you really worried about it?