Yellow penske trucks

Brisco

Expert Expediter
There's no way a DRW cube is 5700#

I have Weighed a couple of these things myself...........

Box is basically All Aluminum with a wood floor. The Cab & Chassis is just that.....a cab, engine, frame, and tires. A fully decked out 4 door 1/2 ton Pick-Up truck might weigh 5,000lbs total. I think the heaviest one of these I ever weighed "Empty" was around 7,000 or so....and that was one with the Duramax and the Beefed Up Transmission. (NO.....There was NEVER a Duramax-Allison Combo for these Cab & Chassis!!! We're NOT going down that road again! :) )

Brisco

Expert Expediter
My duramax with only a 12' box was 7700# empty.

HHmmm.......

I'll Check tonight.......

Maybe it was 7700 and not 5700. Those 12ft Single Rear Wheel Spartan Set-Ups have that Steel Floor in the back. It'd be easy to see how it would hit the 7700 mark, especially with that Duramax sitting up front there. Again....You may be right....it very well could be that 7700lbs for a 6.0 Auto C&C with a 15ft Aluminum / Wood Floor box would be correct. Will dig into my files tonight at the house....(selling a HELL of a LOT more Furniture nowadays than Box Trucks!!)

Either way..........Budget did have those VINs come back as 9980 GVWR's with that Box On Them. I am quite sure that a Scale Cop or 2 has questioned it too here and there.........

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 7569

15 foot 10,000 Lbs

FROM mjmsprt40

"If you're running dual wheels, that is a giveaway that your real gross weight in that "Tonka Truck" is really more like 12,500"

WRONG.........

They are out there...

They are out there-- running six skids, way over the magic 10K and hoping they don't get caught. They're over 10K all right, regardless of the lettering on the outside of the door. I stand by what I wrote, it remains the truth. If you're in a cutaway van with a box body and dual rear wheels-- you're over 10K.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Yes. $1.10 a mile, especially in a truck is CHEAP! You wonder why they are doing it for $60/day as mentioned in the opening thread, THIS IS THE REASON! You guys and gals that run for less than $1.30/mile in cargo vans, and it goes up from there depending on your truck size, are what's killing this industry. I was looking at settlement statements from 1998/99/2000 from Robts Express/FECC, and the pay is the exact same now as it was back then, but we are paying four times as much for fuel and other expenses. When we as a whole are willing to work for the dirt cheap prices that are being thrown at us, can you wonder why there is no work, and the "Pesky Penske non-English speaking drivers" are getting the work? Anyone who runs for $.90 - $1.25/ mile as an owner in a CV is a fool. I can see it if you want to home, or get to a higher freight area, but do you seriously wonder why there are so many foreigners who are willing to run in these "Pesky Penskes" that are overloaded and unsafe I'm sure in so many other areas, we as an industry have done it to ourselves. It's what the market will bear, and the brokers know it.

Another thing, when I pass the scales I see signs that say ALL trucks must enter, RENTAL TRUCKS ALSO (my paraphrase). So how can these "Pesky Penskes" not stop at the scales? Do they just blow by them and take their chances on not getting pulled over a mile down for a scale violation? I sure do hope that the DOT does and will nail these guys and force them to live up to the standards that the rest of us maintain. The DOT are cops - when you want one you can't find one, and when you don't want one they are all over you.

You hit the nail on the head/unless this stop it well kill it for all of us.......I Remain

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
at .90 to 1.00 the immigrants are making a fortune....they buy or rent a big house...3-4-5 families in one house and share all costs...they come from where running water is a luxury...you really think they worry about a DOT cop when they came from where they could be shot for sneezing into the wind the wrong way?....they have the good life for now...their sponsor and probably van owner tells them all is ok....drive Forrest drive....

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Could it be a 9600# that can haul about 1000# legally? Can't you bolt any box on your cab & chassis? But still held to the c&c sticker?

It's a 4500 dually with pretty good sized box. I can't see how it could possibly haul anything and be under 9600. The guy who has it drives less and makes more. Maybe somebody here could clear it up for us....

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It's a 4500 dually with pretty good sized box. I can't see how it could possibly haul anything and be under 9600. The guy who has it drives less and makes more. Maybe somebody here could clear it up for us....

One day I'll be looking at "the next ride". When that day comes I promise that I will intentionally add this "class" to my shopping list. I may not buy one but I will shop it. Scale it. Measure it. And price it.
Until someone does all these things with "intent" it's all a guessing game. There are plenty of this type of truck out there. I doubt they're going away any time soon!!!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or, "Hold my beer and watch this"

h690CF603

TonyD

Active Expediter
We saw a load one branded penske the other day? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had an up-close and personal look at one of these things last night. Cut-away van with a box, dual rear wheels. Illinois "D" license plate. Payload markings inside the box indicate it can haul just over 2,000, the driver told me it had been upped to 3,500. It's a huge box, easily four skids and quite possibly six, it's impossible for me to think you have that big of a box and you don't put something in it. I suppose if you only haul stuff that's high volume/low weight you can get by, but the first time dispatch sends you into a printer for six skids of paper you're in a lot of trouble.

Wind resistance with that box has got to be a factor, that would stop me from buying one with that low weight rating. I tend to favor the thought that if you're going to do this, you might as well go all out and get a dock-high straight and be done with it. These baby-box trucks lose almost all of the advantages of a CV and don't have enough real advantage to make up for it. My CV can only handle two standard skids, but I can run 2,800 lbs payload honestly and I don't have that huge box with its wind drag.

Viktor

Not a Member
I have 14 van from penske i bout all good for expediter business I have litle work on some but all good but 1 had ingine blow to quiockly. I learn busines and hire drivers my cousin make over one thousand last weeks i have more vans to drive for me if you need work job.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep,, that sums up this topic...........Lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app