Yellow penske trucks

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
For some reason there seems be be a lot of those yellow trucks in all the truck stop parking lots hauling fright.I tried to talk with two of them in Dallas and they didnt understand the English.How can they haul with dual wheels and DOT not question the fact as to log books,safety ect.Ive been told they haul fright for $60 a day,and there a more going out on the road every month? (This could be fiction.) How has this been able to happen? Has the system just turned there heads to the fact this is going on?We lost all our mfg jobs to Mexico and China and now we losing jobs and fright being taken by who knows how. Its like what happen in NEW YORY CIty taxi cabs.My point is we a have to follow the rules and Im not sure they are.So the next time an agent bids on a load for you think about that YELLOW Truck backing up to load it.......The days of saying no to cheap fright is over................

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I read on another truck site posted by a DOT officer that he had stopped one of these after seeing it marked at GVW 9900. He saw its duel wheels and knew better. Upon inspecting it found the truck body tag of GVW12500 had been written over with a blue marker to say 9900. He said he put it out of service and threw the book at the company out of the Chicago area.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Ground flight services out of Kentucky runs a bunch of these pesky penskys, and a place out of elpaso called ammex exp!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even at 12,500 GVW, these trucks have only marginal legal payload. Great for moving from one house to another, not so much for any kind of work. At 9,900, I don't even think it would be worth starting the engine for what this thing could LEGALLY haul.

I had one of these rentals when I was doing courier work, the company had rented it while my van was down. The payload was only 3,500 lbs. For something with a box that big to have a payload rating only slightly higher than my van was, in my opinion, laughable.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Even at 12,500 GVW, these trucks have only marginal legal payload. Great for moving from one house to another, not so much for any kind of work. At 9,900, I don't even think it would be worth starting the engine for what this thing could LEGALLY haul.

I had one of these rentals when I was doing courier work, the company had rented it while my van was down. The payload was only 3,500 lbs. For something with a box that big to have a payload rating only slightly higher than my van was, in my opinion, laughable.

Any idea of the mpg of the cube vs your van?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just wait until they give amnesty to 11 million illegals and they can get drivers licenses.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wait until they give amnesty to 11 million illegals and they can get drivers licenses.

They will just make them Team drivers for Str 8 trucks at Panther.......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They will just make them Team drivers for Str 8 trucks at Panther.......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

Not quickly. They would have to get a cdl-B. But they will infiltrate the industry if they do get amnesty. Vans are too easy to get in to so they would feel the impact first. Looks like it is already starting.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
If someone is willing to alter the numbers on the manufacturers GVWR tag, I would bet money they would try and put as much freight in the box as they could, regardless of the weight. JMO

Brisco

Expert Expediter
For some reason there seems be be a lot of those yellow trucks in all the truck stop parking lots hauling fright.I tried to talk with two of them in Dallas and they didnt understand the English.How can they haul with dual wheels and DOT not question the fact as to log books,safety ect.Ive been told they haul fright for $60 a day,and there a more going out on the road every month? (This could be fiction.) How has this been able to happen? Has the system just turned there heads to the fact this is going on?We lost all our mfg jobs to Mexico and China and now we losing jobs and fright being taken by who knows how. Its like what happen in NEW YORY CIty taxi cabs.My point is we a have to follow the rules and Im not sure they are.So the next time an agent bids on a load for you think about that YELLOW Truck backing up to load it.......The days of saying no to cheap fright is over................

What you ran into in Dallas probably wasn't "Expeditors"..........They were more than likely 3PL (3rd Party Logistics) Freight Forwarders running Freight for the many 3PL Companies here in this area, especially around the DFW Airport. (International Freight coming in)

I ran 3PL Freight for a Major Company here in the DFW area for years. 1 Ton Duallys pulling 20-28-30ft Cargo Trailers, with a few Guys running Box Trucks. We mainly ran Automotive Freight out of the DFW area all over Texas and the surrounding states. Used to make GOOD $$$$ doing.....It was Nothing to Bill Out $3000 a Week.....and putting $2000 a week in your pocket after expenses. (Truck - Fuel - Insurance - Maintenance - Etc) The Company I ran with was the Largest in this area when it came to servicing most of the Major Auto Dealerships around here. We had a Good crew at that company.........almost ALL of us were middle aged - well groomed Professionals with the Newest and Nicest Equipment available. The Company was Represented well by it's Contractors.

Well.........one of the Partners in that company got a wild hair up his butt one day and figured he could make Twice as much money if he just had a way to pay the Contractors HALF of what he was paying. (He was already making a 3-4 Hundred Thousand a year as it was) What you saw there in Dallas was exactly who he had in mind to Service his Customers with.........

Needless to say...........Him and his Partner (Who was Against the whole idea) Lost well over 1/2 of their Customer Base within a Year and Half, and Sold Out to one of their Competitors from Houston 3- 4 years ago.

But..........Long story short........other 3PL Freight Forwarders caught onto this..........and Just Like Cab Companies with Muslim Drivers ALL over the DFW area...........there are no Longer Professional "American" Contractors running Freight for them either. All you see now are Hispanic / Mexican Drivers running 3PL Freight in Sub Standard Equipment for Pennies on the Dollar compared to what was once was being paid some 7-8-10 years ago.

Last edited:

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
I rented a yellow Penske truck to move from Oregon to Illinois. 1900 miles and never had to cross a scale once.

Now, mind you, Idaho and Montana don't scale 26000 and under... but nobody else's scales were open!

I can't imagine anyone making a living in one of those things. My gawd, they are the most brutally crude, uncomfortable, gutless, fuel hogging piles of excrement ever.

noneya

Active Expediter
I rented a yellow Penske truck to move from Oregon to Illinois. 1900 miles and never had to cross a scale once.

Now, mind you, Idaho and Montana don't scale 26000 and under... but nobody else's scales were open!

I can't imagine anyone making a living in one of those things. My gawd, they are the most brutally crude, uncomfortable, gutless, fuel hogging piles of excrement ever.
You are right about those things being gas guzzlers. I delivered one for a driveaway company here in GA all the way up to NYC and that thing killed me in gas.

SENT FROM YA MAMA'S HOUSE

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Obviously, these old Penske trucks are very negative to our industry, driving rates down for legal professional carriers and owners. It wouldn't take much money to mount a very serious effort to rid our industry of these bottom feeders. A small web site with a catchy focused name, containing a home/statement page and subsequent pages that contain ready-made Word letters designed to complain to local/regional law enforcement, complete with a picture of a nasty example illustrating what to look for (a "WANTED" poster look for wall posting?).

I don't want to encourage wholesale crackdowns across our industry but such a tool would provide a great tool focused on these scoundrels! Would you sent out some of these letters if they were so easy to get? Word of mouth awareness should be great!

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Went to a pick up just south of Cleveland today. 6 Penskes, one sprinter and me in my E350 extended. All of them standing around, waiting for their various loads, mostly going to Louisiana and North Carolina, and not a word of English being spoken. The shipper was beside herself trying to communicate. Perhaps this is the future of van expediting.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Went to a pick up just south of Cleveland today. 6 Penskes, one sprinter and me in my E350 extended. All of them standing around, waiting for their various loads, mostly going to Louisiana and North Carolina, and not a word of English being spoken. The shipper was beside herself trying to communicate. Perhaps this is the future of van expediting.

Actually it's the future in trucking as a lot of Non English speaking drivers are driving big rigs here in America.