Yellow penske trucks

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
AND punch a time clock. Otherwise the exemption doesn't apply.
Not sure ypu are correct one this one. When I did local in Houston, we had no time clock. But of course that was 30 years ago. May be new rules since then.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
i was trying to figure out why too....punch clock makes no sense for Joe the plumber...he does not need one...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure about now, but that use to be calls the 12-hour rule. You you drive without logging as long as you stayed within 100 air miles and "punched a clock" at the same place you start and stop. I had heard the "clock" could be just about any timekeeping record. Not necessarily the metal thing hanging on the wall. But I think it was aimed at local and route drivers that don't go long or outside a normal metro area in their log week. I had a couple if drivers do this for a while, years ago, but then had to stop when they occasionally went outside the 100. Not worth chancing.

daveglass

Seasoned Expediter
Most of you guys that are posting about the yellow Penske trucks are dead wrong or just crying the blues about people taking business away from you that you would not have gotten in the first place.

I have a yellow Penske Truck 2010 gmc savanna 3500 my with a 15000gvw being that the truck weighs in at 7300 lbs I can LEGALLY take 7500 lbs. I keep a logbook and med card and I do go thru scales...

This truck is 16 foot and has the capabilities of taking up to 8 pallets turned sideways.

so I do speak English and I do follow Dot regulations and there is money to be made with used Penske trucks...

Btw I was just stopped at the scale and passes an inspection

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Daveglass, you (per your own post) log, scale, and pass inspections. IOW, you go by the book. :)

The nasty comments directed at "cubies" here are for the ones who cheat, by branding their vehicles "under 10000" when they're obviously not.

In sum, chill brah, we weren't talkin' bout choo :rolleyes:

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Went to a pick up just south of Cleveland today. 6 Penskes, one sprinter and me in my E350 extended. All of them standing around, waiting for their various loads, mostly going to Louisiana and North Carolina, and not a word of English being spoken. The shipper was beside herself trying to communicate. Perhaps this is the future of van expediting.

You should try working in the Southwestern States if you think it's bad south of Cleveland. The problem though is that all the shippers are their brethren!

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I run 4 of these trucks. The fuel mileage is 10-11 1/2 mpg. They have nice bunk areas, portable ac mounted to wall, vented out the side, converters, generators. Yes, the payload is 3500 lbs max for these trucks. All my drivers speak english, 3 out of 4 have CDL. This helps on insurance. I don't run cheap freight, unless $ 1.10 per mile is considered cheap.

I agree that there are a lot of them running illegal, and cheap. These trucks have a bad rep. But when run legal, maintained properly, these trucks do make money for driver and owner.

One of the problems is that a lot of shippers, ( I know this first hand ) Want us to haul over weight. They have told me when I get there, and the weight is over contracted weight, well you can haul it because you don't have to scale. I have lost at least 3 loads because I would not haul it unless they lowered the weight.

So those of us that run legal, maintain our trucks must pay the price for all who don't. Soon, these trucks will have to abide by the larger trucks rules. And I will be ready.

This is just my comment on the subject.

Yes. $1.10 a mile, especially in a truck is CHEAP! You wonder why they are doing it for $60/day as mentioned in the opening thread, THIS IS THE REASON! You guys and gals that run for less than $1.30/mile in cargo vans, and it goes up from there depending on your truck size, are what's killing this industry. I was looking at settlement statements from 1998/99/2000 from Robts Express/FECC, and the pay is the exact same now as it was back then, but we are paying four times as much for fuel and other expenses. When we as a whole are willing to work for the dirt cheap prices that are being thrown at us, can you wonder why there is no work, and the "Pesky Penske non-English speaking drivers" are getting the work? Anyone who runs for $.90 - $1.25/ mile as an owner in a CV is a fool. I can see it if you want to home, or get to a higher freight area, but do you seriously wonder why there are so many foreigners who are willing to run in these "Pesky Penskes" that are overloaded and unsafe I'm sure in so many other areas, we as an industry have done it to ourselves. It's what the market will bear, and the brokers know it.

Another thing, when I pass the scales I see signs that say ALL trucks must enter, RENTAL TRUCKS ALSO (my paraphrase). So how can these "Pesky Penskes" not stop at the scales? Do they just blow by them and take their chances on not getting pulled over a mile down for a scale violation? I sure do hope that the DOT does and will nail these guys and force them to live up to the standards that the rest of us maintain. The DOT are cops - when you want one you can't find one, and when you don't want one they are all over you.

Last edited:

HHDLLC

Seasoned Expediter
Truck 2.jpgGlad I Have A Black One

Okay Boys and Girls Here Is The Facts.

Fuel MPG: 12 -12.5 Loaded, a little better if empty.

7.3 Powerstroke, She'll haul up to 6,000 lbs no problem.

Empty Weight: 8,700

GVW: 14,500

I run logs, have PrePass, I've driven Tractor-Trailer for 40 years and this has been the best money maker in my trucking expr.

I'll taket your $1.00 a mile van loads if I need to, or your $1.20 a mile sprinter loads, but I like the $1.30 - $1.50 a mile small straight loads. We have put lots of $1.85 a mile large straight loads in her. She's dock high with ramps.

She's got a nice sleeper over the cab, but I stay in motels when looking for the next load.

Not bad for a truck that cost $9,000 and paid or herself in the first 4 months. Oh and I speak English.

Set up right Cube Vans are a money maker.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes. $1.10 a mile, especially in a truck is CHEAP! You wonder why they are doing it for $60/day as mentioned in the opening thread, THIS IS THE REASON! You guys and gals that run for less than $1.30/mile in cargo vans, and it goes up from there depending on your truck size, are what's killing this industry. I was looking at settlement statements from 1998/99/2000 from Robts Express/FECC, and the pay is the exact same now as it was back then, but we are paying four times as much for fuel and other expenses. When we as a whole are willing to work for the dirt cheap prices that are being thrown at us, can you wonder why there is no work, and the "Pesky Penske non-English speaking drivers" are getting the work? Anyone who runs for $.90 - $1.25/ mile as an owner in a CV is a fool. I can see it if you want to home, or get to a higher freight area, but do you seriously wonder why there are so many foreigners who are willing to run in these "Pesky Penskes" that are overloaded and unsafe I'm sure in so many other areas, we as an industry have done it to ourselves. It's what the market will bear, and the brokers know it.

Another thing, when I pass the scales I see signs that say ALL trucks must enter, RENTAL TRUCKS ALSO (my paraphrase). So how can these "Pesky Penskes" not stop at the scales? Do they just blow by them and take their chances on not getting pulled over a mile down for a scale violation? I sure do hope that the DOT does and will nail these guys and force them to live up to the standards that the rest of us maintain. The DOT are cops - when you want one you can't find one, and when you don't want one they are all over you.

There is no way you can compare rates over a decade ago with today. The capacity today dwarfs what was around then. Does it suck, sure but you adjust and move forward.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
HHD, you're running legal so I suspect most of the guys here have no or little problems with you. The problem is the guys who are running identical trucks to yours, but trying to skate under 10K gross. They're hauling just as much freight as you do, but trying to get by without being caught.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
The rates are not down because of the yellow trucks alone. The rates are down because there are so many company,s doing Expediting period. You could take all the yellow trucks off the road and nothing would change.That's a fact jack!

cubansammich

Not a Member
HHD, you're running legal so I suspect most of the guys here have no or little problems with you. The problem is the guys who are running identical trucks to yours, but trying to skate under 10K gross. They're hauling just as much freight as you do, but trying to get by without being caught.
I seen a Chevrolet 4500 with dual rear wheels and a pretty big box with a 9600 gvw sticker on the side. Anyone else seen it? BTW it's not yellow or company logo free.

Heisenberg

Not a Member
I've never been able to figure out how people can w-h-o-r-e themselves out so cheap. Look at all of those fools who pay 6k a year for cargo insurance and move loads for 80 cents per mile. I pay 120 a month for my bobtail insurance here at Panther and I make a dollar per mile. Anyone who runs a cargo van for under a buck a mile is working for free. I think we need to send most of the drivers in our industry to a life coach. They need to learn the importance of self-worth. My time is worth more to me than 80 cents per mile. That's for darn sure. At least I get paid on time where I'm at. You all can have the yellow Penske trucks. I'll stick with my extended Chevy van.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
If you look at the Penske truck door sticker u will see it says around 6000. That is the truck and frame when shipped without a box on

I don't think that is correct,the GVWR on the door would hold true no matter what kind of bed or box is installed,but the weight of body would be included. In other words the heavier bed or box you add the less weight you could carry.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
There is no way you can compare rates over a decade ago with today. The capacity today dwarfs what was around then. Does it suck, sure but you adjust and move forward.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

There is much more freight today then in the past,but there are ten times the trucks competing for that freight today.The rates are down so much shippers can ship with Expediters out of convenience rather then necessity,and when they do have an emergency they still reap the benefits of lower rates.This may not be entirely true but is pretty close.When I first started you had Robert's Express,Auto Quick and Tri-State doing this kind of work,now look at how many Companies are out here,plus many individuals working on there own.

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
I have spoken with that driver and he said that he payed $150 for the company that built it to do it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
It's not van logic at all. Show me any state law which says it is illegal for an unregulated vehicle to be overweight. Good luck with that. :)
It is illegal in all states for any vehicle to be over weight,that is just common sense,and the reason all vehicles have the door stickers. The law is not gonna go around weighing cars.The law isn't going to bother you unless the car is grossly over weight causing a safety hazard.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is illegal in all states for any vehicle to be over weight,that is just common sense,and the reason all vehicles have the door stickers. The law is not gonna go around weighing cars.The law isn't going to bother you unless the car is grossly over weight causing a safety hazard.

Actually....no.....the charge would be unsafe vehicle for 10,000 and under.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree,but the point is,if you grossly overload a vehicle it is illegal,are they going to fine you over 50 lbs. no cause they will never know.

I can see your point....BUT....for exceeding MANUFACTURERS recommended weight limit.....and NOT being a commercial vehicle makes a hoot of a difference...