XM radio What now? Redux

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I think I had this thing long enough to say it is alright - not perfect but alright.

I am bothered by a few things, like I can't just scroll around without changing the channel or the d*mn commercial names pop up when they air - I don't care about Go To mY pC and want to know what is on the program. Does anyone really buy things from these commercials, like how much gold do you have so far?

One thing I was rather amused by was the criticisms of Nemo and that Bozo guy on 171 at the truck stop I was at, they were not nice to these guys for pushing things like Turbo3000d or some other things. The turbo thing was the focus of a heated discussion the last place I was at in the restaurant and how it don't work and how they are stuck with them because it takes longer than 30 days to find out if you really saved anything and you can't return it after 30 days. I would have had two of them for $50 each if I had the cash. Well the one thing I enjoyed was this guy Kevin on XM program, he made a lot of sense but again his site pushed the usual stuff like everyone else. I am still trying to figure out what he was talking about a direct drive trans is better than an OD trans, oh well I will have to dig for the answer.

As for music, when I was sick I got stuck listening to French Canadian Rap (one of them Samian & Loco Locass' La Paix des Braves which was in the rotation a lot that day) even with all the pain it's effect helped me get through it - maybe I was laughing at the same time the pain was intense? The other thing is when I got back into the truck and was tired, I just left it on one channel and it had Gwen Stafani on five times within a hour - I can't get that 'sweet whatever' song out of my mind.

I have expanded my musical horizon, so I guess it was worth that alone. I still can't get a grip on some of the Rap and hip hop stuff, but I try to listen to one different channel a day.

Overall there are a couple of other things I would like to change, one is the elimination of the memory button, can't figure out what it is there for other than to agitate me. The other thing is I would like to be able to block specific artists like Madonna when they pop up. I just don't like her name appearing and should not have to look at it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The memory button lets you store 20 songs in memory. Whey they play you are alerted so you can switch to them if you want to. I like the feature but 20 is not all that many and memory is so cheap it should be maybe 50 or so. What annoys me most is they have certain channels that are the same artist 24/7 and also play that same one on the other stations as well. I don't like that. If I wanted to hear that one I'd switch to their 24/7 channel so play other stuff on the other channels.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad to see you're coming around, Greg. I didn't think you'd be into rap. If I ever get to meet you, should I expect lots of Bling and low riding pants?

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Greg, I think you might enjoy Rollye James on talk radio channel 165 from 10 pm to 1 am. and then George Noory from 1am to 5am he can have some interesting topics LOL. It's great if you have to drive all night. And they also have the commercials too,sorry to say.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
oooooo George Noory, I listened to him a few times and thought that the IRS protesters were too far out there (why is it that they can even get a degree, let alone be doctors? pay the taxes) and when a caller asked them about the fair tax and they rejected the Fair Tax without reading the book I thought what nut jobs but as they continued on to the "the 16th amendment was not legally ratified because of the way the states replied, etc.." stuff, I had to go back to the French Canadian rap which made more sense to me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
>I am still trying to figure out what he was talking about a direct drive trans is better than an OD trans, oh well I will have to dig for the answer.

In theory a direct drive transmission will give you slightly better fuel mileage than a overdrive. The reason being that all power goes directly to the drives. There is no parasitic power loss as in a OD where other gears are turning when the transmission is in the top hole.

I've got to believe that any loss is inconsequential in the real world, but that's how the theory goes.