Working For Someone Else.whats A Good Deal?

british380

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Everyone.
What is considered to be a good deal when working for someone else as drivers?
We would be driving a straight truck as a husband/wife team.
I get different offers from owners and trying to figure out whats the best deal for us to make the most money we can.
Also is there anything we should watch out for?
Any owners anyone can recommend to us(please PM) We are located in Ohio.
Any ideas or suggestions?????? Thanks....

Also the owners I've looked at are all leased to different companies(Fedex,Panther,Landstar,bolt express etc). Who's got the loads?
Thanks everyone..:)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well it's a tough call. The most often commented on are as follows, many owners like to go with the 60/40 split in where you get 60% of the revenue and the FSC but you buy the fuel. Others like to keep 60%,purchase the fuel and you receive 40% of the revenue.

As a Husband/Wife team you might be off with the 40% split as you will be generally be dispatched on longer trips. As far as what company has the loads,who is too say. They all will tell you that they do,best to take a couple of days and read through the forums picking out what you think is good about a Company and what might be bad.

With the large companys you are a number but they may keep that number busy due to their name and reputation. Smaller companys such as Bolt will recognize you as an individual and give you more personalized attention.

british380

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks RichM...On that 40% are you saying the owner pays for everything. I had one offer of 40% with me having to pay for truck wash(1 a week),oil changes,and some tolls..with them paying for fuel..

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Everything is negotiable when it comes to setting terms for your signed contract between you and fleet owner or O/O. Most 40% do not include wash, tools or oil change. The 40% is your compensation for professionally operating their truck and carrying out assigned duties both have agreed to.

It is strongly recommended you get a clearly written contract covering all areas before starting to drive for any one. Reading previous threads covering contracts or lack of having one you’ll see how many were not properly compensated.

Verbal agreements give you no leg to stand on when trying to resolve an issue.

Reactions: 1 person

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I like the 40% deal with the owner paying for fuel myself. I wouldn't pay for an oil change regardless. They can get you a comcheck to cover the expense,imo. Some say getting 60% plus fsc and paying for the fuel puts you out making more money. Most owners who do it that way do it to try to keep drivers from wasting fuel.

Regardless of what you work out get a contract. Stating how much you get paid, when you get paid, how you get paid, how long do you stay out before going home, how long you can stay home, and what to do if and when you decide to quit. If an owner says don't worry about a contract I'm "old school" and do business on a handshake, run. He may be getting ready to show you an "old school" to make extra money. I'll send you a pm of a name to stay away from in your area. I don't want to put someone's name out in public and get anything started.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Teams who get 40% should not pay for anything attributed to the truck, unless it's something they want, and can take with them after they leave (ie. tools, load equip, microwave, etc). I would never agree to pay for washes, oil changes, etc. The only way the owner would know that stuff is being done is if he got the reciept. Tolls could go either way. JMO.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Add us to the list of people that say 40%ers should never agree to pay for anything for which your contract does not provide reimbursement. Typically, the 60% folks only pay fuel and tolls, nothing else