Working for Fleet

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Well with a couple topics talking about fleet owners and days off and such i have a few questions to ask,just to see if i would be a "good candidate" to work for a fleet owner. So what i'm kinda asking is, if you were a fleet owner would you sign me on, or laugh at me?

Ok, I plan on running solo for PantherII (for now, might have a friend team up with me for a bit, if not my g/f will team up with me after the first of the year). I have zero driving experience and am working on getting schooling to drive instead of my original plan to have a friend teach me, then get my license, as i'll learn alot more. As far as my time out, i would like to be out 3 weeks and then be home for 3-4 days ( i've seen a few people looking for 3 weeks on 1 off which would be cool too). I live in the Metro Detroit area so i would try to find a load in detroit and then rest that way there is very little dead head. One problem i seem to face,is that i have little to no money to get into this and pay for gas right off. I will probably jump in with about $500 in hand. So i would like to find someone to pay for gas and such, which i know is very hard now a days as people do alot of things that cost the owner money (selling gas, too much deadhead, ect...) I will say this, that i would never think of doing such a thing (only time deadhead maybe high to get home in an emergency). What i would like out of the truck i drive is something in good condition. I've went to school for automotives (not diesel but i still keep my vehicles in good working condition) so i would keep the truck in good running shape, check anything for problems and even wash it alot (a clean truck is a happy truck :+ ) The sleeper I would like something that in confortable for a 6'2" person. With the typical stuff like fridge, micro ect, anything extra would be awsome but dont expect much for a solo driver since they dont make the owners much so why give them a fancy truck.

As far as making the money would me driving like this be profitable for me and the owner. I currently work at a desk job 9-5 and i take home $1066 a month. If i can walk away with more then that then i'm even more sold.

Alittle more about myself. I'm 20 years old (21 july 22nd) I've been working since I was 14 with relatives and such so I have a strong work ethic. I currently dread working my office job, i've done alot for my department saving money and being more efficent and get nothing in return.

Sorry for not being a professional well written post but I have alot to say and jump around alot.

If anyone has any more questions or feel i left something out please let me know. I'm open to creative suggestions or changing my plans to make it work for both me and the fleet owner.

Thanks,
Randall Wieckowski

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
There are a ton of companies around the Detroit area that are more solo oriented than Panther. My guess is the truck would average around $2000/week. Express-1 is a good company to start with. However, they don't like to forward money. I'm not sure about others in the area, as far as that goes. Conway will forward 50%, but the last I heard, they're more team oriented as well. Panther will forward 40%, so there's your fuel money, if you insist on running for them. I won't tell you companies NOT to run for, since most of them advertise here. I will tell you on the phone, however.

If I were in your shoes, starting out with an owner, knowing what I know now, it's a hard decision. I think what I would do is check out companies around Detroit that give advances, if you want to pay for fuel. Then, talk to drivers who run for that company, and find out if it's the right fit for you. Be sure to talk to more than one driver tho, as you may get someone who is a dispatcher's favorite, or one who doesn't like to work, just whine. Then, there are those who run great, but lie to keep ppl away from "their" freight. Let us know what you've come up with.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good info from the Hawk,FEDEXCC will advance 45% of the revenue when you get loaded.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'd have to say i'd leave you alone. Experience being the problem. Be careful what you listen to concerning this business, Drivers as well as Advisors as well as Recruiters will conflict in their discussions with you. There are way too many agendas and players to get it right the first time when asking questions (even when you know what questions to ask). Good Luck

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If I were you I would find someone to team with to get some experience instead of running solo. You can learn a lot more on the road with an experienced driver instead sitting in driving school for 3 weeks and then out on your own. I do train people from time to time if they really want to learn. I'll admit I know more about trucking in general than expedite, but the guys I have trained are out there making good money now. One is even runnin as an owner operater now.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I'm trying to get my buddy to run team with me. He drove T/T's before and is interested in maybe getting into expediting. He has a wife and kids and cant stay out as long so i think that is a little set back.

Thats for all the post, keep them comming.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your immediate problems are age and experience. The age problem lessens in a month however there are a small number of companies that require 23 as minimum age I believe. The zero experience is also going to be a disqualifier with some companies. There are a number of good ocmpanies that will still take you. If you could find someone to run with for at least a few weeks that could help significantly, if you have someone good to run with.

Your friend doesn't sound like a great candidate for a couple of reasons. His need to be home with family is going to create issues at times when you need to be out and he wants to be home. It also can be an issue because he is your friend. There was a discussion a few weeks ago by a forum member who had a friend teaming with him. The friend didn't have the same work ethic and wasn't showing initiative to learn the business at all. It was a situation that given much more time would possibly have resulted in the friendship disolving.

Good luck to you.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
LDB, as an update, Jason will be on the road with me. After explaining that I couldn't afford to train him, and that he'd have to find a little more motivation, the rest of the trip he did all the paperwork, learned how to polish aluminum(better than i can), read the MI CDL manual, attempted to drive, and generally came around. He invested $4000 out of his pocket to go to driving school for a month, and he's living in a pop-up camper while he's in training, and calls me with questions about every 30 minutes. And he's on my case to finish my Hazmat so we can join Elite services. After a month out, he was a-ok with staying out for another.

Randy, As much as I can tell from the communications back and forth with you, you'll do fine. Just keep in mind that teaming with your friend may actually cost you money, as you'd be home more often. Do not be afraid of P2 as a solo. I did fine as a driver and doing well as an owner/operator. The only reason my team is starting is that a friend needed help, and he came up with the $3400 to go to school, so I felt he had the commitment to it. You might find an owner who will give you a little to start on, but as long as the owner particiaptes in P2's 45% POD program, if you start with full tanks, you'll make it to your first settlement by running off of the POD advances. I can buy food and fuel with only the 45% adv, and put the settlements away. I was around your age when I strted, (hmm, 3 months ago, so I guess I still am), and the owner I found was more than happy to put me in a vehicle. I had a little more experience, but I was honest, and hardworking and that sealed the deal.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm glad to hear your friend made a good turnaround. I'd say with him investing the price of training he definitely will have incentive to succeed. Good luck.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>One problem i seem to face,is that i have little to no money to get >into this and pay for gas right off. I will probably jump in with
>about $500 in hand. So i would like to find someone to pay
>for gas and such, which i know is very hard now a days as
>people do alot of things that cost the owner money (selling
>gas, too much deadhead, ect...) I will say this, that i
>would never think of doing such a thing (only time deadhead
>maybe high to get home in an emergency).

If you start out with full fuel tanks, (and I believe that is how a truck should be delivered whether purchased new or used from a dealer or individual or taken over as driver for a fleet owner), combined with $500 available funds, you should do fine on the 60% side paying for your fuel. That's presuming you are with a company that pays at least 40% of the total load at POD. You will have to be frugal the first 2-3 weeks until your settlements start coming in to pay the remainder owed to you but ou should be able to make it. If need be the owner can authorize an advance on a settlement to tide you over. Good luck.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I was thinking that too. Also if i work with panther they have the $500 sign on bonus so would i get that too? So that would be some extra money also towards me.

So then the 3 weeks on, and 3-4 days off is an ok work time, that was one of the things i was thinking people may have issues with.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You know whats kind of neat about this thread. We have all been around and have seen it all but we are trying to help this young guy get going. I think as Randy gets his feet wet he will become a successful expediter and in about 10 years will probably be a fleet owner and know how to treat his drivers right.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I think my plan after reading everybodys post is to get my license and then drive team with someone to learn the ropes and when i feel confident enough to go on my own find a fleet owner. That way I learn from a driver who is in the business and if i have problems there is someone there that can help me instead of being stuck somewhere with no help. Also this would be a better route with not having much money for start up cost. Thanks for all your comments and help. I will make sure i keep everyone updated with my progress. Also if anyone from the detroit area wants a co driver let me know :D

mikem124

Expert Expediter
Rich,

I also am new to expediting and would like to run a class b or c solo. b would be my first choice because of convenience. I live in auburn indiana looking for a company that will keep me in the lanes, give some nice long hauls and make good money. Staying away from new york would be great and just let me stay home when things are slow.

A short list of companys in order that I should look at would be great.

Thanks
Mike

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Randy,
Do yourself a big favor,get your schooling,a good school,not fly by nite,Then GET AN EXPERIENCED OWNER OPP TO TEACH YOU THE BUSINESS.
no matter which expedite company you go to,it all looks good ,but there are many pit falls.
The insurance companys of most fleets wont let you drive without at least a years experiance,and to make any money in this trucking industry,its not just driving up and down our nations highways
good luck to you
nightcreacher
o/o with fed ex cc

:)

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Well i do have an update for this. After talking to a few fleet owners i found someone that is willing to work with me, teach me to drive and then team up and drive with him. Panther was willing to accept me even with no training but i personally didnt like that idea too much and taking the offer up to drive with someone be constantly at school.

I will keep everyone updated with my progress.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Just make sure you get contract which states how much your pay will be and what your expenses will be. It could save your butt in the long run. Just a piece of advice. Hope it works out good for you.