Wonderful Snack

ihamner

Expert Expediter
It is that time of year...the Medjool Dates are in season right now. They sell them at Sams Club in the produce section. These are little awesome bundles of antioxidants and they are a great snack! They only have them this time of year. I split them open, remove the little pit and pack the chewy date with pecans. It is a wonderful, sweet snack and gives you lots of vitamins. My Mom rolls them in powdered sugar for a beautiful plate of goodness but we skip the extra sugar.

India Hamner
FedEx CC
Staying alive is nice, but you can't do that forever. It's HOW you live the life you have while you have it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The dates sound really great. We are going to have to get to a Sams club soon. How long do they last after you split them and add a pecan? Can you freeze them?

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Yes they freeze and keep forever in ziploc bags. A friend of mine buys as many as she can this time of year and puts them in her freezer. They will keep in a ziploc with the pecans for about a week...IF they aren't all eaten by then!
India Hamner
FedEx CC
Staying alive is nice, but you can't do that forever. It's HOW you live the life you have while you have it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
India, I was so disappointed we finally made it by a Sam's in OKC and they did not have any dates. I hope they will be around for a little bit so we can get back to another Sam's.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't have a Sam's membership, so I'll have to ask my Mom to look for some - thanks for the heads up. I have always kept chopped dates around, for adding to cheerios, (To balance the tart cranberries), & oatmeal, & yogurt. Dates are a yummy way to satisfy a sweet tooth.:)