Windows 8

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
... It requires users to forget everything they ever learned about Windows and learn an entirely new way of doing things for no real reason...

I'm an XP user, and I LIKE it. I bought both of my boys laptops for Christmas. One came with 7 and one with 8. I also bought one of those 'deals' where if you buy a computer with 7 preloaded, you can buy Windows8 for a very cheap price ($15), so I bought that too, in case the boy with 7 on his, wanted to upgrade. He's in grade 10. When I told him, he said no thanks, because he's heard from people in HIS age group that 8 sucks!

The younger boy got the 7, and it suits him fine. He's only 13, so he's still adaptable. I was told when I bought them that 7 would suit someone who's totally into the social media thing, which this boy IS. I tried to set some things up on it for him, and I ended up really frustrated and just gave it back to him to deal with. Like Turtle said above, it requires a relearning process, which frankly, I don't have time for, OR the desire to spend time on, even if I HAD the time.

I can't help thinking how arrogant of MS to assume that people just suddenly have the available time to relearn everything just because they want to bring out a new version of something. It makes me mad.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I don't understand what the big deal is. Hell I had the laptop I bought my wife for Christmas up and running in 10 minutes and my 4 year old know how to go in to games and ms paint. It isn't rocket science and I plan on buying myself one like the wife's. I prefer the windows 8 over my windows 7 Samsung laptop I bought about 2 months ago. Anyone wanna buy a like new laptop? Lol

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
People don't like it. It's not a "big deal". It is just preference. My system now runs fine. No silly looking "tiles". It looks like XP did now. No "charms" popping up when I don't want them either. I have a classic "control panel too.

Just how I like it. It seems stable. Not TOO many stupid things, yet.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We bought a new laptop in January, with Windows 8. I like it, for what little bit I actually use it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are several articles out today citing Windows 8 as a major contributing factor to a huge slump in PC sales.

Many businesses don't like it either.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am still thinking 7 is a better option until they get the bugs out of it. Certainly is some question marks if they are coming out with a updated version this summer. Starting to remind me of the people that had issues with Vista. Never used that one.