Cargo Van Will we be able to work through Coronavirus?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Good tip. Except I din't have a printer in the van. And I mail something maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was lucky enough to find 3 boxes of N95's in storage. Having medically fragile people at home just paid off. Lots of gloves too

I've been holding off on the masks, just taking deliveries I know I can stand at a distance and watch the forklift.

Going to wear them going on from here, why not. Also I have a bottle of soap and a bottle of water by my back doors. I wash AND glove, and wash...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok they aren't N95's but they are masks.

I'll avoid the angry looks from people after the government said to save them for medical personnel only.

Probably a good thing. There's no id card for having "medically fragile" people at home

Dumb people are still trying to congregate in parks here. They've turned hundreds away from parks and introduced a $1000 fine for not following social distancing.

Special delivery tonight, wonder if I'll get pulled over to see what i'm up to at 11 pm...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Hmm, more exciting news waiting for me at home...
Guess who lives at number 20 :rolleyes:

View attachment 19977
Over 2,000 in my county. 134 cases in my city. And 46 cases where I work. I heard a couple things on the radio today. A radio host said that the Detroit Metro Airport used to have direct flights from China. Also, Governor Witmer said that this virus was here in Michigan much earlier than first thought. That means plenty were infected and didn't know that it was C19.

Screenshot_20200406-194751.png

Reactions: RoadTime

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was thinking about something earlier, even if they were to develop a vaccine tomorrow, and were somehow able to manufacture a million doses a day, to make one for every person in the world (7.5 billion) it would take 7500 days or over 20 years to vaccinate everyone. Herd immunity is going to happen way before a vaccine will make a difference, and I dont have to spell out what that means for the death count.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I thought you did have a printer/scanner in the van, you have everything else!!!
I used to. But I changed out my fridge for a 12v Dometic cooler-type fridge, and there went my place to set the printer.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On gloves and masks...

Wearing gloves will keep your hands clean, but don't for a minute think gloves will prevent the spread of a virus. If your gloves are contaminated with the virus, you spread the virus to everything the gloves touch. Your steering wheel, phone, face. I've seen people wear gloves to the grocery store. And everything they touch could get contaminated with the virus. So if you wear gloves, don't touch anything that you don't want contamination with the virus.

Here's how to properly remove gloves... There's a trick, but once you know the trick, it makes perfect sense and you'll never forget it.

On wearing masks, once the mask is on your face, don't touch it. Don't pull it down to eat or drink something, or to smoke a cigarette, or to talk. Don't touch it.

If the mask is contaminated with virus, don't take it off and lay it down, and then minutes, hours or even a day or two later pick it up and put it back on, unless it's been washed (fabric surgical type mask) or lightly sprayed with Lysol (N95 mask, and even that's iffy, but it may be the only way to reuse masks if you don't have an endless supply of disposables).

There's a trick to putting on, and properly fitting an N95 mask, and an even bigger trick to removing the mask. To remove the mask, most people will just naturally palm the front on the mask with one hand to hold it in place, and with the other hand remove the rubber bands from their head. But that's the exact wrong way to do it.

Reactions: piper1 and muttly

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I used to. But I changed out my fridge for a 12v Dometic cooler-type fridge, and there went my place to set the printer.
When I was out on the road, that was how I had it set up, my printer/scanner was on top of the fridge held in place with a bungee cord.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When I was out on the road, that was how I had it set up, my printer/scanner was on top of the fridge held in place with a bungee cord.
This Dometic, it's a top lid, so can't put anything on there.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
On gloves and masks...

Wearing gloves will keep your hands clean, but don't for a minute think gloves will prevent the spread of a virus. If your gloves are contaminated with the virus, you spread the virus to everything the gloves touch. Your steering wheel, phone, face. I've seen people wear gloves to the grocery store. And everything they touch could get contaminated with the virus. So if you wear gloves, don't touch anything that you don't want contamination with the virus.

Here's how to properly remove gloves... There's a trick, but once you know the trick, it makes perfect sense and you'll never forget it.

On wearing masks, once the mask is on your face, don't touch it. Don't pull it down to eat or drink something, or to smoke a cigarette, or to talk. Don't touch it.

If the mask is contaminated with virus, don't take it off and lay it down, and then minutes, hours or even a day or two later pick it up and put it back on, unless it's been washed (fabric surgical type mask) or lightly sprayed with Lysol (N95 mask, and even that's iffy, but it may be the only way to reuse masks if you don't have an endless supply of disposables).

There's a trick to putting on, and properly fitting an N95 mask, and an even bigger trick to removing the mask. To remove the mask, most people will just naturally palm the front on the mask with one hand to hold it in place, and with the other hand remove the rubber bands from their head. But that's the exact wrong way to do it.

I wear a mask in the office, but take it off when I'm working outside for 6 hours. Then put it back on when I'm in the office at end of the day. I'm going to use a cloth mask recommended by surgeon general. So, if I take off the mask in the morning, I can't just put it back on later? I don't have Lysol spray.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wear a mask in the office, but take it off when I'm working outside for 6 hours. Then put it back on when I'm in the office at end of the day. I'm going to use a cloth mask recommended by surgeon general. So, if I take off the mask in the morning, I can't just put it back on later? I don't have Lysol spray.
If you're using the mask solely to keep your germs off other people, which is pretty much what the cloth masks are for, then yes, you can put it back on.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a good friend who used to work in the ER on weekends as a orderly, prepping things and even drawing blood, and my former doctor, who closed his private practice and now works an a ER doctor and at the University two days a week, is married to my step-dad's sister and lives across the street.

You can pick up a lot of good tips from people like that.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
If you're using the mask solely to keep your germs off other people, which is pretty much what the cloth masks are for, then yes, you can put it back on.
Thanks, I thought the reason to wear a mask is to protect yourself as well as the other person. The Surgeon General cloth mask tutorial doesn't mention it won't protect you. I don't want to give the virus to someone else, but also not interested in getting it myself either.

Reactions: blizzard2014

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, I thought the reason to wear a mask is to protect yourself as well as the other person. The Surgeon General cloth mask tutorial doesn't mention it won't protect you. I don't want to give the virus to someone else, but also not interested in getting it myself either.
True. And this recommendation should have been made much sooner. I was watching a doc on the Joe Rogan experience. He said that a lot of medical professionals are still being advised not to wear face masks when seeing patients, because they don't want to scare people. Also, prison guards are not being allowed to wear face masks for the same reason. I have a friend on one of my FB groups for the blood clotting disorder I have and she has recently contracted the virus from her doctor. In the UK they were also advising against doc's wearing masks when seeing their patients. This is a huge mistake. If everyone has a mask to prevent their droplets from reaching others, imagine how much this would have reduced the spread of this virus. I still can't even find a mask online and cannot sew, so am severely limiting my movements in public. I only see one other person in an office every Thursday night and only saw three people outside a building I clean on the weekends. All shopping and meds good for 2 more months. No leaving the house outside of work and I get gas late at night once a week wearing gloves and no human contact.

So, I assume if everyone wore even just the surgical masks and not necessarily the N95 masks, most people would be protected because the droplets would be kept to themselves and not even have a chance to reach the other people right?