Wi Fi Booster

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone ever seen a booster for wi-fi signals that works kinda like the Wilson cell phone booster? I have an internal laptop card so I can't hook anything directly up to the computer.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I swear the J has turned down their signal strenght to make you but the booster...feeling abit snaffood

are12

Expert Expediter
I bought the J's Booster and it does make a big difference on the connection. Too bad I went with Verizon so I don't use it anymore.:eek:

If I was anywhere in your vicinity I would sell you mine for $40.00.:p

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i just go into the j and plug into the wall. much faster than their wifi signal.

has anyone had a problem connecting at a j? last week in harrisburg many folks could not get a signal either wired or wifi.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
From the quick and dirty department:

The coolest one I saw was one a young Russian fellow had built out of a plug-in USB WiFi device and a 6" to 8" wire-mesh strainer/sieve he picked up for a couple of bucks. He mounted the antenna pick up in the strainer, and then could rotate the handle to point it in whatever direction he needed to, to get the best signal strength - it was very directional. Total cost was like under $20 or something.

He drove straight truck for CTX I think, and he showed me this in the parking lot of Krispy Kreme at Mavis and Brittannia in Mississauga, ON ..... I couldn't get crap for a signal with my old laptop, he was sitting right next to me ..... and had full bars.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can make these out of strainers, Chinese cooking skimmers, coffee cans (a cantanna), a spaghetti colander, almost any parabolic device or waveguide device. You can even make a very directional horn antenna using a tall juice can, or even a Pringles can with a funnel on the end of it. But the parabolic antennas will work best, like the strainers and cooking skimmers.

FJQL3EP8VJEPUCHVMO.MEDIUM.jpg

FKUNZA00S8EQZJI5DC.MEDIUM.jpg

F4W3KS3FRAAUVGY.MEDIUM.jpg