why

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I once gave a guy on the corner a fresh bag of tuna ,he looked at me and saiid wtf I took it back and drove off!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe get that guy with the wild hair to be the "colorman."

don-king.jpg

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
If there's one thing God hates more than :censoredsign:s, it's grammar police.

On the contrary, the Lord appointed grammar police because if there's one thing He doesn't like it's people who don't have the self respect required to learn the proper use of the language of the country He saw fit to place them in.

Just my two cents.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a feeling he is much more concerned about your actions than your grammer.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Abbout 15 years ago I was waiting for a bus one day and a kid walked up tried bumming a smoke and some change said he needed bus fair or food somthing like that obviously B.S. He went away empty handed. A couple minutes later annother guy came up to me and politely said strait out he was an alchoholic, he needed money a bottle, and he was going to the liquor store as soon as he got enough. Well normaly I dont give up money but his honesty paid off I gave him a buck and two smokes in plain sight of the first guy. The first guy asked me why I didnt give him anything I called him a liar.

Im sure today that would be dangerous move.

Bob Wolf.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thats why if you notice my spelling is right its because my woman is correcting me before I submit the post.

Bob Wolf

I believe this post is missing two commas and an apostrophe. Possibly even a semi-colon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Thats why if you notice my spelling is right its because my woman is correcting me before I submit the post."
I believe this post is missing two commas and an apostrophe. Possibly even a semi-colon.
Also the usage of the word "right" implies a matter of opinion rather than something definitive and absolute, as in "correct".

Either way works:

"That's why, if you notice my spelling is correct, it's because my woman is correcting me before I submit the post."

"That's why, if you notice, my spelling is correct. It's because my woman is correcting me before I submit the post."

moose

Veteran Expediter
Thats why if you notice my spelling is right its because my woman is correcting me before I submit the post.

Bob Wolf
If a man is all alone in the woods, and he say something, and there's no women to hear him...
is he still wrong ?

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
Abbout 15 years ago I was waiting for a bus one day and a kid walked up tried bumming a smoke and some change said he needed bus fair or food somthing like that obviously B.S. He went away empty handed. A couple minutes later annother guy came up to me and politely said strait out he was an alchoholic, he needed money a bottle, and he was going to the liquor store as soon as he got enough. Well normaly I dont give up money but his honesty paid off I gave him a buck and two smokes in plain sight of the first guy. The first guy asked me why I didnt give him anything I called him a liar.

Im sure today that would be dangerous move.

Bob Wolf.

When you have an out-of-state license plate, these dirtbags think you are an easy target. Buy a toy gun if you do not want to worry about a real gun in your truck. When they see that, it takes care of the problem.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I'm not really sure why you keep mentioning this side of the pond, as we've already established the difference between American grammatical syntax and the rest of the English speaking world. Nevertheless, I grew up and went to school on the same side of the pond as you, and had high grades in English and literature.

The two different types of grammar punctuation are British Style (also known as Logical Notation), and the American Style, used almost exclusively in the US but also somewhat in Canada. The British Style is largely governed by Fowler's A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, whereas American Style is largely governed by the Chicago Manual of Style and the New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage (Harper Collins). Most journalists abide by the AP Stylebook and the MLA (Modern Language Association) which both use American Style in most instances but not all.

The only major difference between British Style and American Style are the placements of the commas and periods - American Style places commas and periods inside the quotation marks, British Style places them outside the quotation marks.

Colons, semicolons, question marks and exclamation marks are handled exactly the same way in both styles, with colons and semicolons (as well as asterisks and dashes) always being placed outside the quotation marks, and exclamation and question marks being placed logically (whether the mark itself is part of the quote, or whether it applies to the entire sentence).

There are, however, several American style guides which are specific to certain specialties, like legal writing, linguistics, and most technical writing, which prefer the British Style. I know this because I've written published works that dealt with such specialties and had to become intimate with all of the above mentioned style guides.

Oxford Comma (serial comma) usage is all over the place, both here and in the UK. In the US, the serial comma is standard usage in non-journalistic writing that follows the Chicago Manual of Style. Journalists, however, use the AP Stylebook which, while not outright prohibiting it, strongly suggests against its usage. In the UK it is standard usage to leave it out, despite Fowler's Modern English Usage recommending using it. The Oxford University Press sure uses it, though. So does Harvard. They're about the only ones who do religiously, and it's why the serial comma is often referred to as the Oxford or Harvard Comma.

Which way is correct is clearly up for debate, as there is no clear authority of accepted usage to make either correct or incorrect, unless you are writing in the journalistic confines of the AP Stylebook, or the OUP, or at Harvard. It is, however, universally recommended to use the serial comma to prevent lyrical or musical prosody in the text (a rhythm, stress or intonation of speech which relates an emotional state, sarcasm, focus or emphasis) unless such prosody is what you are after. The use of a serial comma to prevent prosody breaks up the individual words and reduces ambiguity or confusion in some cases. So the general consensus on the serial comma is that there is no consensus. If you want to use it, use it. If you don't, then don't.

Here's an article written by an American English teacher who fervently deducts one point for every period or comma that's in the British Style, outside of a quotation mark. It'll really chap your cushions. :D

I may very well have misspoke in saying every Web site that deals with the grammar of American English contradicts what you are saying. I'll concede that point. "Every Web site" is a little on the absolute side. However, I have yet to come across a single one that agrees with you, and it's not for lack of trying. So, please consider my remarks amended within that context.

In a nutshell, this page from Purdue University gives an excellent overview of the general rules of when and where to use quotation marks in American Style English. The rules coincide with the accepted style guides of American English mentioned above.

There are some that need to get a life....

High Fiven Ya there Guido........Ya Feel It!! :)