Why drive a truck?

wwb6698

Expert Expediter
Ok i drove truck for 10 years over 15 years ago and I still miss the fun of it but every time i read a post on the forum or listen to road dog trucking radio all i hear is complaints? No money in trucking anymore, dont get paid to sit at shippers, high cost of fuel doesnt make it worth it to be an OO? So why would anyone want to get into trucking if there is no money in driving for a living? I never really hear the good side of trucking like a good job, fun, honest work and was just wondering if there is a good side anymore? Might want to get back into it someday but from what i hear maybe not?

moose

Veteran Expediter
I can assure you that i have ample other ways of making a living.
i choose trucking because i STILL enjoy most days out here.
i discontinued my XM subscriptions a year ago. one of the rezone was it becomes a CB radio on steroids . not even half of what is being talk there on the trucking channels stood out the reality test.
having said that, expedite is not a real trucking so to speak. i found expediters to be more business oriented ,and have more control of their destinations .

Happy ? - YouBetch'yha !!!

seams to me that all you needs is the right mentor to guide you back in.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is money and opportunities out there. But like any business, a lot has to do with what you make of it. Some prosper quite well, and others simply lose their shirts and go bankrupt.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is money and opportunities out there. But like any business, a lot has to do with what you make of it. Some prosper quite well, and others simply lose their shirts and go bankrupt.

Totally agree. And also agree that for the most part expediters tend be more business oriented (at least the ones that can hang on haha). But over all, the Love of the road and adventure is still out there for those that choose the road not taken.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
DaveKC hit it right on... it's what you make of it. I've been driving commercially since about 98 or so. My dad drove for 42 years. He told my brother and I to never get into truckin'. My brother listened. I did not. it's in my blood I guess. I resisted it, but it still reeled me in... And you know what, I can honestly say: I enjoy driving for a living. Sure it's got it's down sides. Doesn't every industry and job?? You get to travel, meet different people, see different places and different things. it's got it's physical workouts too, so it's not all bad. Laws are getting tougher, regulations are getting more and more. Technology is getting better though, and so is the equipment. a 10 or 20 year old truck today is not near as bad as it was in 1998 or 1999. it's what you make of it. That's my 2 cents.