Why don't more of you run natural gas?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why more of you don't run this cheap fuel. I'd like to be able to buy a newer (than 2001) vehicle but with no demand there are very few used vans to choose from....

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why more of you don't run this cheap fuel. I'd like to be able to buy a newer (than 2001) vehicle but with no demand there are very few used vans to choose from....

Hard to find filling stations. Impractical for the Expediting industry.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hard to find filling stations. Impractical for the Expediting industry.
Of course, some don't need stations.
farting_man_xlarge.gif

i'm-gassy-today.gif

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I knew that was coming...anyway I saved $15000 in fuel last year, being a cng only van, I'm on a route right now but everybody knows most cng vehicles are gasoline/cng both... Don't they?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I knew that was coming...anyway I saved $15000 in fuel last year, being a cng only van, I'm on a route right now but everybody knows most cng vehicles are gasoline/cng both... Don't they?
15 grand a year savings would most likely make more drivers survive out here instead of leaving after 12 months due to starvation....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Truckstops are putting CNG stations in everywhere. In the back, where there was already not enough truck parking, sigh.
I mentioned it because vans probably don't drive to the backside of the truckstops.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to drive a CNG taxi a Crown Vic best I could do is Hamilton to Pearson and return and CNG would be empty...2 tanks in that huge truck....hope CNG technology has improved a lot....or we'd be filling up every 100 miles or so......not to mention the weight of them tanks...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, dodge van came factory with 4 tanks underside and I added a 5.5 foot 12" dia. Behind the seats...built my bunk over that but had 8 feet of cargo space otherwwise...565 km or 350 miles depending on your state of mind :)

As for weight, van was 4100 stock 5800 with full tanks

Last edited:

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
Sounds like they are still heavy, don't see them getting to much past that. Years ago where I was at did CNG conversions and I was showed the system. We had CNG vehicles in the fleet (few) and a pump, never got see one installed or install a system. No demand, we where told we could convert our cars, just no demand for it.
And everywhere in the area that used CNG and pumps are gone.

Did u say u have the tank inside, not to be rude, but did you check reg's on tank placement.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes the tank is bagged and vented. I had the work done by a shop, Kiff Auto, the last shop I'm aware of near me that is certified to do conversions...I guess lack of shops would be another reason but chevy/gmc and dodge dealers are supposed to service their factory cng vehicles...I would love for some people to convert their promasters so I can pick them up at half price in a few years! 8 years in a van and I still bang my head some mornings

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
The tank you are using is it the composite reinforced with the fiber wrap? I think they were the lightest at the time. And I bet switch over is just a flip of the switch, the old way you to let the carb drain where it started to die then switch over. About the CNG I like it but;

CNG is good because your engine will last longer on it and the cost is cheap ( not much ) for now. But competition out there is more attractive like bio diesel, Eco boost technology's, electric hybrids like the volt and the hybrids are now trucks and someone will possibly make a van.

And you got hydrogen technology, waiting on the bench. Gas engines can be very efficient and long lasting, but mpg is regulated by the gov, By class of vehicle . The major stock holders of oil company's. They are thinking green, but not the green we want them too. I may have miss some things there, under or over stated some?

I think it's awesome what u have there and the way your thinking. Maybe someday they will make it more attractive for consumers, we will not run out NG anytime soon.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then again lets look at supply and demand....early 80's propane was like .20 a litre.....90/$1.00 a gallon approx....now look....$3.50 a gallon....and yet home propane is about 1.70/2.00 a gallon...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's why I run natural gas and not propane, I paid 1.01 a gallon all last year and it spiked up to 1.34 this year...tax in

Rising_cow it came with wire wound fibreglas tanks, the large add on tank was steel out of a ford, and as for the switch, the only switch is off when you run out of cng its dedicated...no gasoline tank, injectors, or emmissions junk

Also the 5800 lbs is with full tanks, tools, spare parts, structural plywood floor and bunk/partition, and my fat kiester

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
That's cool, must be a nice setup. All we did is conversions no dedicated. And propane is what some went to (like buses) when CNG died out, was sad to see it go. And propane didn't last either, CNG and propane are still used in Columbus Ohio for Cota and few others.